Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 12:35 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,664,460 times

Advertisements

just like being black or brown is not important in education.

what is important is the collective struggles, imparted by de jure and de facto discrimination, these groups have faced.

how is that hard for anyone to understand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2redheads View Post
I don't think being gay is a lifestyle its a life that someones lives.~~That would be a lifestyle?? A life that someone lives IS a lifestyle..
History is History....when you go to school to be a teacher you will learn about History because you have to teach it in classes...History is what has made America. Liking men or women is a sexual preference..something that is not important in education!

Old 10-14-2009, 12:35 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Whats funny is that I am a "colored" gay and I have a lot of other friends who are also yet we don't see much of a difference, oh and neither does my colored parents

neither does Coretta Scott King, Martins Luther King's wife.
So how many Gays have been lynched, prevented from drinking out of fountains, can't vote, cant eat in restaurants, riding in the back of the bus, etc etc. Yeah not much of a difference here. Especially in San Francisco where gays run the city. Right.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:39 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Seeing the ignorance of some of these posts, obviously a "gay day" is needed. Perhaps a fortnight.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:39 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,664,460 times
you have obviously never heard of "passing" you can NOT look at every black person and tell they are black.

if you dont see commonalities in these struggles then you are not keeping in touch with social justice ideals.

do you also get mad when the womens movement likens their struggle to that of other oppressed groups? what about people with disabilities? you cant always visually see a person disability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
It's very offensive when gays try to tie their issues with the civil rights struggle. It is NOT the same. You can't look at every gay person and know they are gay but you can look at every Black, Asian etc person and know they are Black, Asian etc, and Pre-Judge immediately. Stop comparing your quest for equality with something that is NOTHING like what people of color have gone through and continue to.

The right to marry is not the same as the right to vote.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
you have obviously never heard of "passing" you can NOT look at every black person and tell they are black.

if you dont see commonalities in these struggles then you are not keeping in touch with social justice ideals.

do you also get mad when the womens movement likens their struggle to that of other oppressed groups? what about people with disabilities? you cant always visually see a person disability.
So you're going by the 1 drop rule, the passing issue is a non issue. They are "passing" for a reason, in order to be accepted by society, but the majority of Blacks in America are not "Passing" so that's not even an issue.

How can you compare a sexual orientation with physical characteristics used to oppress? Why must gays alert the world they are gay? Why? How is this even related? What does having a disability have to do with sexual orientation or race?

You do know that Black gays are discriminated against by white gays also right? Race is a bigger issue than sexual orientation.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:47 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,696,789 times
Quote:
So how many Gays have been lynched, prevented from drinking out of fountains, can't vote, cant eat in restaurants, riding in the back of the bus, etc etc. Yeah not much of a difference here. Especially in San Francisco where gays run the city. Right.
Well I don't think all the minorities suffered the same, however the key term is suffer.

Most common things that occur in the gay community are suicides due to social pressures especially with teens, men who marry women and cheat on them with men because society told them to marry a woman, getting kicked out of public places especially restaurants, getting fired from their jobs because they are gay, insurance benefits issues, murders, beating, robberies, not being able to see the person they've spent their life with in their deathbeds in hospitals, claims to partners belongings, etc. (sounds like a lot of discrimination to me)

come on!! you live in SF but you really think a gay couple in alabama, georgia, texas, arkansas, the dakotas, virginias, carolinas, wyoming, basically anywhere that isn't an urban core can easily go through daily life without being discriminated against?

Old 10-14-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
So you're going by the 1 drop rule, the passing issue is a non issue. They are "passing" for a reason, in order to be accepted by society, but the majority of Blacks in America are not "Passing" so that's not even an issue.

How can you compare a sexual orientation with physical characteristics used to oppress? Why must gays alert the world they are gay? Why? How is this even related? What does having a disability have to do with sexual orientation or race?

You do know that Black gays are discriminated against by white gays also right? Race is a bigger issue than sexual orientation.
you do know that straight white people of wealth discriminate against straight white people of no wealth too right? discrimination goes beyond skin color buddy.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Well I don't think all the minorities suffered the same, however the key term is suffer.

Most common things that occur in the gay community are suicides due to social pressures especially with teens, men who marry women and cheat on them with men because society told them to marry a woman, getting kicked out of public places especially restaurants, getting fired from their jobs because they are gay, insurance benefits issues, murders, beating, robberies, not being able to see the person they've spent their life with in their deathbeds in hospitals, claims to partners belongings, etc. (sounds like a lot of discrimination to me)

come on!! you live in SF but you really think a gay couple in alabama, georgia, texas, arkansas, the dakotas, virginias, carolinas, wyoming, basically anywhere that isn't an urban core can easily go through daily life without being discriminated against?
Why would gays get kicked out of restaurants if they are not trying to make a scene that they are gay. Again how do you know a person is gay by looking at them? Not all gays are the feminine type. It's nobody's business and if you're fired because of sexual orientation there a laws to prevent that. There were NO laws to stop racial discrimination in the past.

I live in Oakland not SF, I also am not sure why gays feel the need to let the world know they prefer the same sex. WHO CARES???

Old 10-14-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
you do know that straight white people of wealth discriminate against straight white people of no wealth too right? discrimination goes beyond skin color buddy.
Tell that to your gay friends who try to compare their struggle with ours. Apparently they feel race and sexuality intersect which it doesn't. Stick to the gay agenda and stop comparing it to the civil rights movement. Since it's it's own individual issue.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Why would gays get kicked out of restaurants if they are not trying to make a scene that they are gay. Again how do you know a person is gay by looking at them? Not all gays are the feminine type. It's nobody's business and if you're fired because of sexual orientation there a laws to prevent that. There were NO laws to stop racial discrimination in the past.

I live in Oakland not SF, I also am not sure why gays feel the need to let the world know they prefer the same sex. WHO CARES???
You do understand that only certain areas have those rights as of now. Gay couples of kicked out of restaurants for holding hands are in the news all the time. I'm not the feminine type however they are also part of the gay community that we need to protect as citizens.

I like how you skip over the murders, suicides, affairs.

I'm glad gay people let people know that they exist because we are an invisible minority meaning you can't tell just from physically looking at us. Visibility of the community helps gays in the general media and helps troubled teens understand they are not alone and that we are all over the Nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California