Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 08:16 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Sacramento View Post
Now that's just an overreaction, and a subtle one at that. Did anyone say we should "get rid" of gays? No. By the same token (and you know this) it would be ridiculous to "get rid" of anyone who can't reproduce; it's clearly not their fault.

The issue here is whether gay activity should be taught in our schools and exposed to our kids. Heterosexual activity to the end of explaining reproduction is. Consider that there may be a lot of parents-Christian, Mormon, whatnot-that might not want that and won't have a choice if a "gay" curricula is introduced. I think personal sexual choices and lifestyles should be taught by the parents and left out of school.

If we want to learn about Milk's role as a supervisor, fine, but leave out his personal lifestyle. That's kind of like focusing on the infidelity of the Kennedy's rather than their political contributions.
Hmmm...that would be like learning about Thurgood Marshall but leaving out the fact that he was the first black supreme court justice. It's an important historical fact that Harvey Milk was the first openly gay elected public official in the United States.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 10-15-2009 at 08:24 PM..

Old 10-15-2009, 08:21 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
...And now, for Part Deux, here is how the student-teacher exchange could happen with similarly difficult questions about homosexuality:

Little Johnny: "Mrs. Jones, is it true that gay guys put it in...you know...(giggle) (shuffle) You know. In the um...rear?"
Realistic Answer: "Sure, sometimes, why not? Just like your parents used to try back when they were fun."
Mrs. Jones' Actual Answer: "Some people of either orientation--gay or straight--may experiment with that part of the body sexually. Some do not. The main thing to remember in ANY relationship is that if anything feels uncomfortable to you or your partner, physically or emotionally, you stop."

Little Johnny: "Will gays go to hell? That's what my dad says."
Realistic Answer: "Look around you. I'm reasonably sure we're ALL going to hell. I mean, hello. Trenton, NJ...seen it?"
Alternate Realistic Answer: "...That's because your dad is a frightened, puny man who works in a hardware store and is stuck...forEVER, according to his stifling religion...with your battleaxe mother. He has to believe all his self-imposed suffering is for some good, just reason, so he turns someone else into the bad guy."
Actual Answer: "Nobody knows what really happens after we die, Little Johnny. But I prefer to believe that God is understanding and cares about all his children."

Little Johnny: "I think it's gross that a guy can kiss a guy or a girl can kiss a girl! It makes me sick!"
Realistic Answer: "Five years ago when you were seven, you thought it was gross when men kissed women, too. Everything is gross to a kid."
Actual Answer: "Then you won't do it. There are always things that people do which other people may find uncomfortable. But if a person is not hurting you or someone else, it is acceptable, and that person deserves his or her privacy."

Little Johnny: "Can two daddies make their child turn gay?"
Realistic Answer: "Can you find a different class to go to? I'm about to get medieval all over you, you annoying brat."
Actual Answer: "Can you be turned gay? No. And a gay can't be turned heterosexual."

Little Johnny: "What would happen if the whole wide world suddenly turned gay?"
Realistic Answer: "Men would never have to deal with anybody's PMS again and the UN headquarters would be color-coordinated."
Actual Answer: "It's not likely to happen because, as I told you before, one doesn't 'turn' gay. Did you 'turn' brown-haired at birth? Did you 'turn' short? You don't 'turn' straight or gay, either."

Old 10-15-2009, 08:30 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,060 times
JerZ, that was good, I am afraid though that you are throwing pearls before swine. Not that any poster here is a swine, that would not be polite, it is just a great cliche.

I do think that those who scream the loudest against the vile behavior are secretly and shamefully interested.

There is an entire segment, well 18 to 20% of the population that lives in fear of the "other", but can't leave the "other" alone. I think of Ted Haggard, who preached against the "other" and then, wham.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:33 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post

There is an entire segment, well 18 to 20% of the population that lives in fear of the "other", but can't leave the "other" alone. I think of Ted Haggard, who preached against the "other" and then, wham.
Wow, you know, I have heard this idea. There may be something to it. It really seems to make sense in some cases.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:42 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,197,646 times
Not only was Harvey Milk brave enough to run and be elected; he also was shot and killed while at City Hall.

Why shouldn't CA honor such a brave and courageous man?

Old 10-15-2009, 10:12 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
Not only was Harvey Milk brave enough to run and be elected; he also was shot and killed while at City Hall.

Why shouldn't CA honor such a brave and courageous man?
Because he, his life and his death were a local issue without statewide appeal or impact.

Lots of brave and courageous Californian who knowingly put their lives at risk by virtue of their chosen occupations die in the line of duty where they work and serve. Think: police, fire fighters, soldiers. They don't have a specific day set aside to honor them by name. Neither should Harvey Milk.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:12 AM

302 posts, read 864,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Lots of brave and courageous Californian who knowingly put their lives at risk by virtue of their chosen occupations die in the line of duty where they work and serve. Think: police, fire fighters, soldiers. They don't have a specific day set aside to honor them by name. Neither should Harvey Milk.
Good point there.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:16 AM

302 posts, read 864,152 times
Quote:

I do think that those who scream the loudest against the vile behavior are secretly and shamefully interested.

I'm sure it will really bake your noodle that I'm agreeing with you on something, but I've seen this in a friend of mine. He insists being gay is a disease of the mind and the field of psychology is involved in a conspiracy to legitimize it. He absolutely will not stop bringing up gay people and his dislike of gay people and how adamantly un-gay he is.

There's something going on with him.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:29 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,060 times
Quote:
I'm sure it will really bake your noodle that I'm agreeing with you on something, but I've seen this in a friend of mine
Since I have absolutely no idea who you are, I do not have a baked noodle, although I support tolerance for those who both bake noodles and have baked noodles, or will bake noodles (ones preferences can change over time).

Old 10-16-2009, 02:09 PM

282 posts, read 526,234 times
Quote:
No, I am saying you howl at the full moon,
Your elevator stops a few stories short of the penthouse

Any resemblance between what you post and any form of rationality known to earthlings is purely coincidental

That is funny....I guess it makes you feel good to put people down because they don't think YOUR way...you can try to act like you are above me all you want...it says ALOT about you...and I feel sorry for you. You sound like a really sad and lonely person and I hope that you find happiness one day. If you were truly a happy person you wouldn't feel the need to act like you are above others and put them down ...ESPECIALLY here on city data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California