Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 03:41 AM

1,054 posts, read 2,147,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanis View Post
The reason I posted my question was because while traveling between the East and West I had two different experiences. East Coast, its questions of what you do and where do you come from because you talk different. West coast, its "Hi."

You can say this post is dumb or that there is no difference, but then i have to ask if you ever left your state of Cali or if you live in a bubble. Of course there are exceptions and one cannot generalize the whole population, but I am stating from my experience I have seen differences. This has NOTHING to do with education and social status. This is purely from an observation level traveling between the coasts, going into stores and meeting friends of friends.

Thanks for all the other points though. I will still move to Cali eventually. I felt more at home then any other place I've visited in America so far.
If political correctness is your thing then I see why you like California so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 05:25 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,125,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
Are you referring to me or OP?

The OP my good friend.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:27 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,125,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanis View Post
The reason I posted my question was because while traveling between the East and West I had two different experiences. East Coast, its questions of what you do and where do you come from because you talk different. West coast, its "Hi."

You can say this post is dumb or that there is no difference, but then i have to ask if you ever left your state of Cali or if you live in a bubble. Of course there are exceptions and one cannot generalize the whole population, but I am stating from my experience I have seen differences. This has NOTHING to do with education and social status. This is purely from an observation level traveling between the coasts, going into stores and meeting friends of friends.

Thanks for all the other points though. I will still move to Cali eventually. I felt more at home then any other place I've visited in America so far.

No I have not lived in california my whole life. I spent the first 13 in chicago and the last 13 years here. My perspective is a lot more objective.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:34 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,023,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwxyz View Post
is it true that black girls/white american guys couples dont exist in LA and Cali like in the rest of Usa? i ask it cause i live in LA and never seen a bf/wm couple in general . also when i heard of such pairings the white guys involved are always foreign born , never american.
I've seen a lot of mixed couples in LA, even bf/wm. I'm black and my sister's married to a white man.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:44 PM

15 posts, read 44,513 times
I've lived in both Northern and Southern Cali and in So Cal, the AAs seem to be more assimilated to the standard suburban culture. This is probably true for Mexicans, Asians, etc as well. In Northern California (I lived in Sacramento and have friends family in Bay Area like Oakland, Emeryville, Vallejo - the AA's seem more to fit in with the "hip/hop" culture more. I can't explain why, it's just an observation. The AAs (and Mexicans) in So Cal will be skating and sporting faux-hawks and generally just hanging out. The AAs up North will be sporting hoodies and sagging, and generally hanging out.
Is any one group better or worse than the other? Probably not. You know what's interesting though - you see TONS of the gangsta/"yo-yo" types (all races) in the real armpit areas of Cali like Fresno, Bakersfield, Stockton, etc. Maybe they're overcompensating for living in the lamest part of an awesome state.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:17 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,276,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyse View Post
While this is true, you cant ignore black culture in America. For the most part American black culture does come with an attitude and a talk. Some white people even share the culture, but I believe its only becasue they cant really identify with one. Which is ok I guess, just an observation.
You know it and I know it so dont act like it doesnt exist. This culture has evolved from many reasons and can be debated from now until doomsday. Since the late 80s however many people have debated that this culture has taken a turn for the worse. i.e Bill Cosby. So can you really blame him for wanting to better himself and not beat his woman, abandon his children and speak english so he can get a decent job? I would hope not. But whatever works for you.......
What are you talking about and what does that have to do with Localized Black population? Don't try to lecture me on Black culture being that I'm Black. What does what you're saying have to do with East Coast vs. West Coast Blacks?

Old 10-19-2009, 11:45 AM

1,687 posts, read 6,049,746 times
Actually you don't see tons of the "gangsta" types in Fresno, in spite of another post. They exist in some neighborhoods in the area and among some groups, but so do those dressing and acting as surfers, rockers, preps, and other styles.

Yes, Fresno, Bakersfield, etc have some who think they need to adopt a hip-hop look or lifestyle to emulate but I have seen that everywhere even in Southern California. It is a trend that like many trends will change.

When the current generation ages they will look back and wonder "What was I thinking" (much like those of us who were cool with Disco in the 70s do now).

Old 10-20-2009, 04:31 PM

22 posts, read 95,567 times
I have been in Ca for many many years and I'm of mixed races, African is one of them. I am very light skinned so I'm seen as White or Spanish. The White people treated me as if I were A A and the A A treated me if I were White. I did find that the A A people were much more accepting of my race then anyone else. The worst treatment I received in all the years living in CA were from the A A women!! I dated mostly A A men and I was told to leave them alone. Just me two cents, don't pelt me now.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
Personally I could'nt disagree more. Alot of people make the mistake of thinking California is somehow more "friendlier" than other places in the country such as the east coast. What they mean is thats its more "politically correct" which is true for the most part.

I love the so-called east coast attitude. It shows character and confidence. They tell it like it is. I'd take that over fake political correctness anyday honestly.

And no its not a racial utopia where everyone magically gets along. There are points of racial tension and misunderstanding, (which is exasperated by the political correctness). The interracial dating also occurs mostly between asians/whites and hispanics/whites.

California is not what you are making it out to be. Come here and live here for a while and you'll see. Great weather, lots of problems however that visitors don't really see.

I love east coast black people and I'm a west coast black guy. They seem to have alot of character and confidence I don't usually see in folks out here.

Yes, California is definitely not a Utopia. And there is something nicer about the general way of being and attitude of Black people on the East Coast. I find that they also have the coolest accents.

That said, you will find pockets of Black people in SoCal who don't have a stereotypical attitude or accent. (Chicago seemed to be the same as well; it was the first time I ever saw a Black kid riding a skate board, looking all alternative, and it was great!) Baldwin Hills is known for having both affluent and educated Black citizens.

But San Francisco is probably one of the worst places, if you're mixed Black/White or if you only identify as Black, and you're an individual and not a stereotype. And north of SF, things don't particularly get better. It's just that with the open spaces, it's possible to live further apart from idiots of all races and tune out stupidity...but oh to have been there in the 60s, before the hard drugs of the 70s came. SF was a much better place for Black people back then.

The Black area of SF, Bayview/Hunter's Point, is considered the worst. The Tenderloin (downtown) isn't so great either; I dropped off a friend once and this Latino guy thought he was getting into my car to sell me drugs! Scary. People are scared to go to Bayview/Hunter's Point. I even went for a walk at a Park just up the hillside from there, and these young Black dudes were contemplating how to commit a kidnapping. That's grrrreat.

The East Bay has it's crime, but also more Black middle class in areas. But I don't quite know what types of folks tend to live where. The CEO of Jamba Juice is Black, and that's Emeryville. He doesn't say "yo-yo".

If you live in SF, be prepared to be called "sister" or "brother" and singled out by every single down and out or odd or questionable Black person in the city; they abound! These same folks tend to treat White people better too. And as far as meeting other biracial people or seeing interracial couples, you just won't see Black/White or any other mixed couples around where one person is Black. Also, Black people in SF always are security personnel, and you see less and less Black as you move up the ranks in SF businesses.

I hear Minnesota has it's pockets of where it's ok to be biracial, interracial dating/marriage.

Anyway, to the other commentor re: Bill Cosby, he's quite right. It's like the 80s and 90s really ruined something in Black America. I think my mom's generation had better attitudes and determination.

I could do without stereotypes that I'm loud, wear a weave, do drugs, am promiscuous, unintelligent; the ones about dancing, singing, and being good as sports have all gotten me into trouble for totally sucking at them! I would gladly take stereotypes that I'm good in math and am likely to run a dry cleaning business, and be great at nails...things that show ambition, an entrepreneurial mind, and/or smarts! And to the folks who say this doesn't matter, it does. It means there are more obstacles to overcome and that people need to ban together to improve the welfare of everyone Black or mixed. The problems in society will not fix themselves.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________
Me: 50% Italian-American, 50% Black-American (Parents STILL MARRIED since 1970)
Thanks to 23 and me: European 55%, African 44%, Asian 1%
Thanks to America: Light-Skinned Black Girl who Talks White
Thanks to Europe: Mixed Race, Puerto Rican, Fijian, Ethiopian, Italian, Black, Virgin Islander

Last edited by Halogen1; 10-06-2012 at 12:23 PM..

Old 10-06-2012, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,244 times
Your question is totally valid. People need to consider that humans were leaving their homes for other places for all types of reasons, all to have a better life; in the past few hundred years, one huge reason being the freedom to practice their religion e.g. Jews, Protestants, etc. But it's not uncommon to wonder if where you might go is better than where you're coming from. And just because it may be worse, that's not necessarily a reason to not go. You should have an idea of what's to come, so that you're not shocked and so that you're prepared.

BTW, in addition to my other post, it's often cold and overcast in SF. SoCal has better weather.

Last edited by Halogen1; 10-06-2012 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: type-o
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California