Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 09:05 AM

277 posts, read 626,943 times

Advertisements

Hey Joe.

You know what they used to tell us when I was in school, back in the 60's about how much oil we had left? We were told we had less than 20 years left, now over 40 years later you are saying we still have 40 more years worth.

Power in this country is usually generated by burning coal or natural gas, nuclear, hydro and of course even some windmills and Solar thermal. Now I know many people would like to see electric cars become more popular but do you know how much power it takes to make even 1 horsepower?
It takes 746 watts to make just one horsepower, of course you have conversion losses also when going from the outlet to a battery charger and then the batteries efficiency losses. So these wonderful electric cars use way more power than a stupid TV. How is this going to work out if all the selfish
environmentalist deplete all our natural resources charging their cars? I always hear people say they
can charge them at night when demand is lower. Do you think power plants can run without fuel at
night? Of course not.

The truth is, we have way more oil than any of you on the left want to admit, we have huge amounts of natural gas and trillions of barrels of Keregen that can be used to make diesel and jet fuel. We also have hundreds of year

Last edited by Wayneb; 10-22-2009 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 10:07 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
So you're all for a supporting an individual's rights to open a meth lab next door no matter the danger it presents to the general public?

Power consumption is a serious issue in CA. There's a lot of people all using electricity. Ever experienced a brownout? It's worse than a blackout because instead of just shutting down, electronic devices continue to operate but tend to overheat when they can't get the amperage they crave. They cause fires. Ever stood and watched helplessly as a fire moved closer and closer to your home? I've seen people try to wet their roofs with a garden hose but when there's a high water demand, they can't get enough water to save a pot of flowers.

Absolute personal freedom is dandy if you live alone out in the middle of nowhere where your actions have little if any affect on others but if you choose to live in a populated area, there needs to be rules. People can't simply do whatever they please with no regard for others.

Keep on burning fossil fuel at will. We won't be out for another 40 years and it'll be your children's problem to deal with. Right now as the supply slowly drops it's ok because we still have a large supply of young men to send into the grinder of an oil war. You just keep on using as much as you can and feel good about yourself and your personal freedom to waste.

As for your alleged willingness to fight and die for your TV set, I somehow suspect that if that time ever arose, you'd manage to find a way to survive with a LCD screen instead. There are lots of tough people on the Internet. I'm amazed at how many are willing to die for this or that yet when push comes to shove, few are up for the moment.
What an utterly foolish waste of time and bandwidth. Typically full of false assumptions and unrelated hysterical fear tactics. And yet somehow you people expect and demand to be taken seriously.

The first sentence alone earns you a spot on my ignore list.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:16 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneb View Post
Hey Joe.

You know what they used to tell us when I was in school, back in the 60's about how much oil we had left? We were told we had less than 20 years left, now over 40 years later you are saying we still have 40 more years worth.

Power in this country is usually generated by burning coal or natural gas, nuclear, hydro and of course even some windmills and Solar thermal. Now I know many people would like to see electric cars become more popular but do you know how much power it takes to make even 1 horsepower?
It takes 746 watts to make just one horsepower, of course you have conversion losses also when going from the outlet to a battery charger and then the batteries efficiency losses. So these wonderful electric cars use way more power than a stupid TV. How is this going to work out if all the selfish
environmentalist deplete all our natural resources charging their cars? I always hear people say they
can charge them at night when demand is lower. Do you think power plants can run without fuel at
night? Of course not.

The truth is, we have way more oil than any of you on the left want to admit, we have huge amounts of natural gas and trillions of barrels of Keregen that can be used to make diesel and jet fuel. We also have hundreds of year
Oddly enough, when I was growing up in the '60s, the general consensus was that oil would last indefinitely, but then again I grew up in Houston.

You are correct about electric cars but I never addressed that issue, did I? My point is waste. The poster I replied to seems to be under the impression that goon squads will be coming into homes to confiscate old POS big screens. They won't. They will be eliminated by attrition since they will no longer be available and those old-tech big screens are not noted for a long life span.

Since our power issues in an ever growing state are real right now and not down the road, measures need to be taken for the good of all. We have also been in a drought for 6 years and the water supply is a bit low. We have a rationing system that's a bit odd and too complicated to go into here but if we simply let everyone use as much water as they pleased, the crops that feed 52% of the nation would die, people in Southern, CA would simply not have enough to drink, and none of us would be able to bathe. Sometimes the use of limited resources must be controlled. I personally don't like it either but it's a reality we must deal with.

If we had cold fusion generators everything would be just peachy and we could each use as much as we wanted but so far that technology is barely beyond proof of concept so I'm not expecting to see Mr. Fusion on Walmart shelves anytime soon. Meanwhile we have a very real energy issue to deal with. Personal freedom is great but if an individual isn't willing to turn off a flipping light for the good of the community as a whole, they should reconsider living within that community. CA is overall a great place to live but it does have issues. The biggest issue is the 37 million people all using resources. That's a reality that won't go away and anyone who can't deal with that should consider moving somewhere more suitable. Last time I checked there were no fences forcing anyone to stay.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:20 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
What an utterly foolish waste of time and bandwidth. Typically full of false assumptions and unrelated hysterical fear tactics. And yet somehow you people expect and demand to be taken seriously.

The first sentence alone earns you a spot on my ignore list.
You people? What people would that be? Who's making assumptions?

As far a earning a spot on your ignore list, that alone is priceless. I earned the right to live inside your head rent free!

Old 10-22-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneb View Post
Hey Joe.

night? Of course not.

The truth is, we have way more oil than any of you on the left want to admit, we have huge amounts of natural gas and trillions of barrels of Keregen that can be used to make diesel and jet fuel. We also have hundreds of years worth of coal. We have billions of years supply of nuclear fuel. Now all we have to do is build some power plants and we can all drive electric cars, save the world and I will even use a little for my TV.
I don't know what happened to the end of my original post but some of it got cut off when I edited some spelling errrors.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:11 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
If California is so worried about power consumption, you would think that every one would throw their dryers out and use a clothesline, really, it isn't that hard.

All these stupid HOA's need to make people put clotheslines up in their backyards instead of telling them no, that would save loads of energy..........really, it's not that hard.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Oddly enough, when I was growing up in the '60s, the general consensus was that oil would last indefinitely, but then again I grew up in Houston.
I guess you grew up in a bubble in Texas, I went to school here in California and we were told just what I said.

Quote:
You are correct about electric cars but I never addressed that issue, did I? My point is waste. The poster I replied to seems to be under the impression that goon squads will be coming into homes to confiscate old POS big screens. They won't. They will be eliminated by attrition since they will no longer be available and those old-tech big screens are not noted for a long life span.
I know you did not bring up electric cars but I don't hear anyone wanting to ban the electric power guzzling electric car.

Quote:
Since our power issues in an ever growing state are real right now and not down the road, measures need to be taken for the good of all.
Yes, we should build power plants.

Quote:
We have also been in a drought for 6 years and the water supply is a bit low.
I promise, I won't water my plasma. I use low flow shower heads and like everyone else I have low flush toilets.

Quote:
If we had cold fusion generators everything would be just peachy and we could each use as much as we wanted but so far that technology is barely beyond proof of concept so I'm not expecting to see Mr. Fusion on Walmart shelves anytime soon.
We can make due with fission reactors that really work, we have much better technology available now that wastes far less fuel and the waste can be stored on site.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:14 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
A true tragedy, we would be stuck sitting around in sidewalk cafes drinking good wine, watching beautiful women walk by, dressed in amazingly stylish outfits, fit from bicycling instead of sitting in cars eating donuts.

riding on trains meeting beautiful women dressed in amazingly stylish outfits, fit from bicycling instead of sitting in cars eating donuts.

How dreadful.
That smell lik cig smoke. No thanks.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:25 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,726,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
If California is so worried about power consumption, you would think that every one would throw their dryers out and use a clothesline, really, it isn't that hard.

All these stupid HOA's need to make people put clotheslines up in their backyards instead of telling them no, that would save loads of energy..........really, it's not that hard.
Except there's about half of the year where many of the days are not sunny and warm enough to dry clothes well ... if at all.
CA is not 365 days of the year sun and blue skies.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:07 PM

302 posts, read 864,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
32" is fine if you're 6' away but not even close if you have a bigger room. What business is it of yours what kind or size TV someone owns?
California tries to make every aspect of someone's personal life their business. Just ask gun owners brave enough to live here.

This legislation is just another symptom of a full-time legislature with too much time on their hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California