Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 06:02 PM

277 posts, read 626,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
I am not surprised that you called it a stupid book without having read it. The rest of us know what this says about you.
I don't care what you think of me.

Quote:
Sure it is, it is mine as part of society,
No it is not your business.

Quote:
A commons is ground held in common, used in common. like our resources, including energy.
If the commons can graze 100 cows, and there are 10 villagers, each can graze 10 cows. If there are 100 villagers each can graze 1 cow. Exceeding this limit means that all the grass gets eaten and all the cows, and villagers starve.
No kidding, and you think I need to read a book for that? We are not running short of energy right now and we won't be in the future if we build
a few nuclear plants. We did have shortages several years back when plants were shutdown on purpose to drive up rates.

Quote:
If there is no regulation by government, or self regulation by individuals, the tendency is to increase your share beyond that which is rightfully yours, as you state you will do.
I stated my efforts to conserve energy that I have implemented or will
implement in the future, I did this on my own, without the state telling me what to do. See that is self regulation.

Quote:
The end result of behavior unregulated by government or self, is catastrophe.

This is why the government under Presidents Cleveland and Harrison began setting aside Forest Reserves. Today's National Forests.

By your thinking, the National Forests should be abandoned and the land turned over to users, to use at will. Is this what you want?

You see, your simplistic thinking provides for your needs but at a cost not only to society, but to your self also.

Pays to be literate.
Really, how were you able to extrapolate my feelings on a totally unrelated subject? I made no mention of selling off National forests so how about keep your comments relevant.

I bought my CFL bulbs when they were good enough to use with my automated dimmers, I will buy a new LED backlit TV when it has a been out long enough to 1 have a better picture than plasma and 2 has proven itself over time that the technology is solid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 06:06 PM

830 posts, read 2,712,510 times
Quote:
If you live in a closet, you'll think a 32" TV is huge.
Damn, even my closet is supposed to be 600 square feet! Well, I better get busy feeling unhappy and like I have a poor quality of life.

(Actually I'd probably improve it if I got rid of the TV to begin with, no matter what the size. Hey, then I'd even have an extra 4 square feet of space!)

Old 10-18-2009, 06:09 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,726,610 times

Yeah, yeah ... oh boy ... more nuclear power plants.
Right on.

California banning big screen TV-united_states.png

Old 10-18-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
Damn, even my closet is supposed to be 600 square feet! Well, I better get busy feeling unhappy and like I have a poor quality of life.

(Actually I'd probably improve it if I got rid of the TV to begin with, no matter what the size. Hey, then I'd even have an extra 4 square feet of space!)
Liberating one self from the t.v. is a very good thing, imo.
When you break that addiction you are on your way to freeing yourself from the dominant culture / mass media which has people so enthralled by the absolute vapidity and insanity of this decadent and quickly declining culture that it's no wonder we're in the shape we're in.
That said, there are a few good shows around.
I've seen 'em on DVD ... no adds.
So yeah, "kill your television".

Old 10-18-2009, 06:34 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Liberating one self from the t.v. is a very good thing, imo.
When you break that addiction you are on your way to freeing yourself from the dominant culture / mass media which has people so enthralled by the absolute vapidity and insanity of this decadent and quickly declining culture that it's no wonder we're in the shape we're in.
That said, there are a few good shows around.
I've seen 'em on DVD ... no adds.
So yeah, "kill your television".

I have been TV free for 6 years. The only thing I miss is watching sports which I can do on the computer or at the pub anyways.
No cable costs and read more books!

BTW "kill your television" classic Ned's Atomic Dustbin plug!

Old 10-18-2009, 07:06 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,060 times
Some of these posters are lost, just plain lost,
Look at this;
Quote:
And how many illegals do we get? And how many more would come if they could?
As if this had anything to do with the subject at hand, holy smackers. That is like someone responding, "well, I like peanut butter".

And how about that nukular plant building, sure, we can continue to build plants, we can even move to the moon so there is more room to build plants, and................... someday it will have to stop cause there won't be anymore room, "Oh, Yeah, forgot about that part, duh"

Nukular, gee why not? In May 1999, the 104 U.S. nuclear power plants produced 56 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity. This represented 21.8% of the utility-generated power for that month. These figures demonstrate what is typical of the U.S. dependence on nuclear power, a form of power generation involving enormous expense. Advocates of nuclear power believe that there are adequate scientific solutions to the problem, but they are not putting up the capital for the nuclear plants. The federal government has made us, the taxpayers, the equivalent of stockholders in nuclear power; nuclear utilities depend on government bailouts, insurance and subsidies. We must put a stop to nuclear power because of the grave financial risks. In February 1999, residential consumers paid an average of 7.94 cents per kilowatt-hour for electricity; industrial users paid an average of 4.33 cents per kilowatt-hour. Compare that with 1997, when electricity cost about 5% more; the cost of hydroelectric power on a ratepayer's bill was from two to eight cents; gas, from three to five cents; coal, five to six cents; oil, six to eight cents; and nuclear power, 10 to 12 cents.
The cost of nuclear power would be much higher still if not for federal subsidies. Nuclear power is tied up in what economists call "externalities" and "external costs and benefits." Externalities are when "some people bear costs that they are not paid or compensated for, these costs are said to be external costs,"

If ya'll want to pay the cost of nukular, ya'll ain't thinking clearly.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I have been TV free for 6 years. The only thing I miss is watching sports which I can do on the computer or at the pub anyways.
No cable costs and read more books!

BTW "kill your television" classic Ned's Atomic Dustbin plug!

Old 10-18-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
If ya'll want to pay the cost of nukular, ya'll ain't thinking clearly.
I do hope your realize that i was being sarcastic.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:02 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,060 times
I was not referring to you Skye, I was referring to the Nukular proponent, I read your profile, I know where you are coming from, and it is a good place.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I was not referring to you Skye, I was referring to the Nukular proponent, I read your profile, I know where you are coming from, and it is a good place.
yeah, it's difficult to know that something like sarcasm is coming across clearly on an internet forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California