Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 08:11 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,498,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Oh man - i really love this sometimes. It just gets better on here everyday!
Some people probably live in large holes in the ground. Here is a partial list of some jobs people I know of have, who smoke pot.
Firemen
Police Officers
Teachers
Architects
Farmers
Deep Sea Fishermen
Ranchers
Business men
Business Managers.

They don't even have to be liberals, I know several serious whacko conservatives (is there any other kind) who will smoke pot while extolling the virtues of Bush and the shortcomings of Obama.

Pot long ago entered the mainstream of American life

And the sooner we legalize it the sooner we get the Mexican pot farmers off our public lands and our private ranches.

And, by the way, I don't smoke, nothing, I don't want any crap in my lungs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 01:58 AM

398 posts, read 1,327,937 times
Like they say, If you smoke a joint, you'll probably eat up everything in your fridge..You take 10 Advils?? And that will be your last headache.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,410 times
Haha Damn this hella funny..cause it's so damn true, i swear its REALLY! Is this bad..like 95% of my neighborhood are pot dealers but also crack dealers too. and the funny thing is that they're all mainly mexicans. Well like me but seriously though there be like police all around here 24/7..and well you always hear gun shots too. It is very dangerous! Kinda reminds me of Oakland.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,330 times
I've lived in Arcata for a while. Most of the people I have met are perfectly fine. Yes, a lot of people smoke pot. I haven't been mugged, raped, haven't felt endangered by walking to the grocers and back or biking to and from school, and have met far more hippies than people carrying mace, pepperspray or guns. And while I'm a substance-abstinent person (don't take alcohol or non-prescribed things if absolutely necessary) I'm all for it being legalized simply because then it could require things to be FDA approved and would kinda kill the underground market for it.

Me, I'm here because of the outdoors stuff. It's also one of the US's great outdoor adventure areas. That and the volunteer work is what makes me like being out here so much. In the meantime I can safely say I don't carry a gun or pepperspray and have never felt threatened or endangered while walking or biking to or from anywhere in Arcata. I don't know, it's not exactly a huge town. I usually just see the same people I see every day.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:52 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,646,934 times
Well, we just had a murder here of a Guatamalan man who had apparently been hired to tend a pot garden in Kneeland, right up the hill from me. . Still, dozens of dumb young kids are looking for 'Harvest' work" on Craig's List etc so they can trim in a sweatshop for a few weeks,then figure out how to survive our long rainy winters. The pot scene is getting very, very boring. Legalization will help the crime factor (maybe) but it will still be boring.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:30 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,062,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Some people probably live in large holes in the ground. Here is a partial list of some jobs people I know of have, who smoke pot.
Firemen
Police Officers
Teachers
Architects
Farmers
Deep Sea Fishermen
Ranchers
Business men
Business Managers.

They don't even have to be liberals, I know several serious whacko conservatives (is there any other kind) who will smoke pot while extolling the virtues of Bush and the shortcomings of Obama.

Pot long ago entered the mainstream of American life

And the sooner we legalize it the sooner we get the Mexican pot farmers off our public lands and our private ranches.

And, by the way, I don't smoke, nothing, I don't want any crap in my lungs.

Your information may be wrong.. Ill tell you why

Any job that requires drug testing... for example... a police officer or firefighter (who in my opinion should absolutely be tested) do not allow marijuana in their system.. medical or otherwise.. and for good reason
You give me a gun and the power to take a life
You give me a 40,000 pound fire engine and the ability to make needed split second decisions
You (the public) have a right to know that I will not be stoned or have drugs in my system that will affect my performance. I have the expectation that the person I work with has all their faculties fully working.

People post stories all the time about law enforcement officers or public safety workers that routinely take drugs.. but in reality if that occurred those people would be terminated... drug use is not tolerated in the face of drug testing.. its a matter a record and policy

As a lifetime peace officer this is my opinion
Yes we should legalize medical marijuana... and I can probably get behind the decriminalization of small amounts for personal possession
Yes we should take it out of the hands of cartels... (unfortunately it seems government cant do anything but screw up stuff so this has me worried)

However

It is further my opinion that prolonged marijuana use is damaging to the human body and as importantly the human spirit.. the spirit of drive and will to be productive. As such we as a society should be very careful how we potentially exponentially increase its use by the general population. I am also concerned that there is, currently, no good field chemical test for DUI (just observational). I think that huge amounts of potential marijuana tax funds should be allocated to create a reliable, legal field test so that I don't have to worry about getting taken out by some irresponsible stoner... We already have enough chemically altered drivers without adding another segment.

I also dont hear much about the process of extracting thc ...making it into pill form.. and prescribing it that way.. which would alleviate perhaps some health issues from putting burning substances into the human body (which in and of itself will increase medical costs for all of us as we begin to treat a new population with breathing issues from chronic marijuana use)... the bottom line is people want to be unregulated in their pursuit to get high... (again my opinion based on what I see with my own eyes) and grow their own (marijuana is BIG business and the low key hippy smoke a joint dude has just become the noveau riche entrepreneur of the new millennium.. the vw bus replaced by a beemer.... ah capitalism)

I run the court mandated DUI program for my county... we regularly see people come through the program now who got popped for a DUI (alcohol for the most part but more and more for drugs and marijuana). I see people in the program now with MM script who are getting it like candy... say you have pain.. see Dr feelgood.. get script.. the "marijuana" doctors even advertise in the paper here.. dont tell me that there isnt abuse.. I see it daily.. this has a cost and toll upon the rest of us,, and I personally feel it has detracted from the quality of life.. measurably...where I live

My personal feeling is that alcohol AND marijuana are wholly destructive to the mind.. and to the body.. just in varying degrees

Arcata... it WAS beautiful... but the human element of stoners and businesses that cater to that element makes it lose its luster now...

The answer... if I knew you would vote for me... until then I will choose not to live by chemically altered people as much as I can reasonably control my environment.

notme

Old 09-01-2010, 04:22 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,789,723 times
@ notmeofficer

As to the first part of your thoughtful post, I sincerely agree with all that you say,
but it is to an observation within this next paragraph that I am responding, herein:

<"It is further my opinion that prolonged marijuana use is damaging to the human body and as importantly the human spirit..
the spirit of drive and will to be productive. As such we as a society should be very careful how we potentially exponentially
increase its use by the general population.">

More so than relying upon opinion to guide us, we are blessed with a proven and fairly well established history of the detrimental aspects of alcohol,
it's use and abuse as a substance, on the physical and spiritual nature of humankind. Whether speaking for the good or the bad of alcohol, the right or
the wrong of alcohol, we have a well established bank of knowledge upon which to draw from, in simply making or stating our respective determination,
argument or position. 234 years ago, our forefathers grew marijuana here in this newly formed nation and that too, has been documented through those
historical writings that were left behind to augment any future understanding of the cultural moires which were prevalent in those early days of America.
I am sure that if cannabis had been called "pot, reefer or even marijuana, George Washington would've noted that fact when he penned within his diary,
"time to plant the hemp seed". I've also wondered, just what it was, that Ben Franklin smoked in his pipe, as he busied himself with such illuminated visions
and dreams for the America of today, after all, you've got to wonder about the mindset of anyone who would go out into a lightning storm to fly a kite.
As equally damaging to the human spirit can be the prolonged frustration of those who've come to use and understand marijuana on a first person and singular
basis, those of us who know for ourselves these purported detriments which permeate the very core of this latter-day struggle to put marijuana, the substance,
into a proper and contemporary perspective, to deal with it in the light of an eighty year prohibition that has obviously failed to do more than that which it has
accomplished in bringing a "would be" problem, to epic proportion at an alarming and ever increasing rate.

<"I also dont hear much about the process of extracting thc ...making it into pill form.. and prescribing it that way..
which would alleviate perhaps some health issues from putting burning substances into the human body
(which in and of itself will increase medical costs for all of us as we begin to treat a new population with breathing
issues from chronic marijuana use)... the bottom line is people want to be unregulated in their pursuit to get high...
(again my opinion based on what I see with my own eyes) and grow their own (marijuana is BIG business and the
low key hippy smoke a joint dude has just become the noveau riche entrepreneur of the new millennium..
the vw bus replaced by a beemer.... ah capitalism)">

THC has already been synthesized by big pharmacy and along with big government, they've both dedicated and devoted themselves to the greatest degree
of control over our minds and bodies. Their brand of capitalism is the fundamental basis for the diminishing American dream as it is rapidly vanishing here and now
for the very people whom these entities were brought about to serve, the men and women, a citizenry who have become secondary in their clearly skewed esteem.
My personal focus, is less of taking the liberty to "get high" but more of having the liberty, the basic right to make that decision for myself, very much like I am able
to decide whether or not I want to smoke tobacco or drink coffee or eat cholesterol laden cheeseburgers with my heavily salted, Mickey-Dee's, French fries.

Your well written post has earned you another reputation point. I commend you on both your wisdom as well as your impartial observation,
especially when considering that these offerings come from a lifetime peace officer and yes sir, I would certainly vote for you, if you were on my local ballot.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:49 PM

24,450 posts, read 33,122,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROC View Post
Here's a different take on the subject. Why does anyone NEED to take substances to relax? Is it to the point where people have lost the ability to create their own level of comfort or relaxation without the use of alcohol or drugs???? Maybe a few "self help" courses would be better for you!
I completely agree. I've never consumed either one. Had no desire to years ago and don't now.

When I want to relax, I take a nap! (That is the healthy way to relax.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California