Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 10:55 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Any jobs, any area of california and I would want to spend under 200k. The lower the better though
I haven't read through the thread yet but I hope you've been able to find your answers.

One thing you'll learn about city-data are the liberal racists. For some reason they think it's racist and awful that white people would want to live next to their own kind, but think it's perfectly normal and natural for blacks wanting to live in a black community, asians wanting to live in Chinatown, etc. Everybody's allowed to be proud of and celebrate their heritage and culture....except for dem dere evil whiteys. Go figure.

Anyway, good luck with your search. You'll likely find great communities that you're looking for in the northern part of California.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:33 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post

It's sad to say that 'white flight' seems to be alive and well.
How do you feel about "black flight", which has been taking place in South Central L.A. for at least the past 10 years?

Briefly, as (Latinos, Hispanics, South of the border types, you pick the descriptor) move into what have historically been Black neighborhoods for at least the past 40 years, Black residents are uprooting and heading for the IE and high desert areas rather than live amongst those who are different from them.

In my past experience, I've caught flak from people for admitting that my parents unassed Inglewood back in 1960, as did all the rest of my L.A. relatives, when the neighborhoods began to change. Is one worse than the other? Do Blacks somehow get a pass for this?

Finally, to put things in current perspective, 5 years ago I chose to leave lily-white South OC for South Fontana, lest anyone think I have a problem living where I'm a racial minority.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:41 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,999 times
This is the original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Can someone point me in the right direction? preferably within 45 minutes of a city and a place that has some jobs
Um, guys, I don't know what the OP said that was racist or deserved the responses seen in this thread. Love the reverse discrimination. I'm not even white, I'm brown, and I think it is so funny seeing everyone get all up on arms about this post. I've seen so many threads in the CA forum about people asking about Indian communities, Chinese communities, Black communities, ect.... What is the point of all the posts insinuating that the OP is a racist???

Old 10-25-2009, 07:51 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
What is the point of all the posts insinuating that the OP is a racist???
Simple! Becuase those on the left side of the aisle believe that ethnic conclaves and self-segregation for most populations are progressive and cool. Those are the same people who will proudly proclaim, "Some of my best friends are ...(enter color, nationality, sexual orientation or religion of choice)" as if that gives them some sort of social cachet. However, for them, the only reasons caucasians might want to live among and socialize with people who look like them and speak their language must be racist, discriminatory and dismissive.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 10-25-2009 at 08:11 AM..

Old 10-25-2009, 08:17 AM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I haven't read through the thread yet but I hope you've been able to find your answers.

One thing you'll learn about city-data are the liberal racists. For some reason they think it's racist and awful that white people would want to live next to their own kind, but think it's perfectly normal and natural for blacks wanting to live in a black community, asians wanting to live in Chinatown, etc
. Everybody's allowed to be proud of and celebrate their heritage and culture....except for dem dere evil whiteys. Go figure.

Anyway, good luck with your search. You'll likely find great communities that you're looking for in the northern part of California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
How do you feel about "black flight", which has been taking place in South Central L.A. for at least the past 10 years?

Briefly, as (Latinos, Hispanics, South of the border types, you pick the descriptor) move into what have historically been Black neighborhoods for at least the past 40 years, Black residents are uprooting and heading for the IE and high desert areas rather than live amongst those who are different from them.
In my past experience, I've caught flak from people for admitting that my parents unassed Inglewood back in 1960, as did all the rest of my L.A. relatives, when the neighborhoods began to change. Is one worse than the other? Do Blacks somehow get a pass for this?

Finally, to put things in current perspective, 5 years ago I chose to leave lily-white South OC for South Fontana, lest anyone think I have a problem living where I'm a racial minority.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
This is the original post:

Um, guys, I don't know what the OP said that was racist or deserved the responses seen in this thread. Love the reverse discrimination. I'm not even white, I'm brown, and I think it is so funny seeing everyone get all up on arms about this post. I've seen so many threads in the CA forum about people asking about Indian communities, Chinese communities, Black communities, ect.... What is the point of all the posts insinuating that the OP is a racist???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Simple! Becuase those on the left side of the aisle believe that ethnic conclaves and self-segregation for most populations are progressive and cool. Those are the same people who will proudly proclaim, "Some of my best friends are ...(enter color, nationality, sexual orientation or religion of choice)" as if that gives them some sort of social cachet. However, for them, the only reasons caucasians might want to live among and socialize with people who look like them and speak their language must be racist, discriminatory and dismissive.

Great posts... Reps to all of you.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:59 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:

I'm not a fan, nor do I agree with any type of color/race/ethnicity based flight. I think it's ignorant.

I grew up in an area that received many of these blacks you speak of (Corona), and while I'm not giving them a "pass", I think many people (of any background) that move to the IE/HD aren't moving there to escape a certain race or culture, they're moving there for cheaper, bigger houses at the "cheap, low price" of a longer commute to their current jobs, or to be in a better neighborhood than they lived in previously in LA/OC, or to improve quality-of-life. When people move to the IE/HD, they (in this case, blacks) aren't going to escape hispanics, whether they'd like to or not.

Now, if I knew a black family from South Central that wanted to leave South Central simply because there are more hispanics there, I'd think they were ignorant, just as I think my "friend" who lives in Longmont, CO is ignorant for possibly wanting to move because of his new neighbors.

"Flight" is something I'd never choose to participate in. I'm always going to live in the most tolerable place close to work. I don't care who my neighbors are or what they look like. There are equal chances that they'll be jerks, even if they "look" like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
While I don't agree with the "stuffwhitepeoplelike.com" type things many on the "left side of the aisle" do, they don't speak or act for ALL of those on that side of the aisle.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I think many people (of any background) that move to the IE/HD aren't moving there to escape a certain race or culture...
I can only go on what I've been told by my Black neighbors.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I can only go on what I've been told by my Black neighbors.
Well, then I guess they'll be disappointed.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Well, then I guess they'll be disappointed.
No they won't... they have me for a neighbor! Can't get that **** in no Watts or Compton.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
No they won't... they have me for a neighbor! Can't get that **** in no Watts or Compton.
True.

But, if they really didn't want to live around Hispanics, they probably shouldn't have moved to Fontana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California