U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area better deserves the title of "global city" or "world-class city&quot
San Francisco 27 40.30%
Los Angeles 40 59.70%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 12:07 PM

12,390 posts, read 26,386,069 times

Advertisements

As for owning the internet... That is true... VeriSign (located in the Bay) owns both .com, .net, .edu (jointly) TLD's ...as well controls all DNS changes. ICANN however is based in LA, but doesn't have as much clout and is moving towards international oversight probably in the next 5-10 years. It is kind of like the actual business goes on in NYC, but DC has governance over some of the policies.
Most of the networks are run by Cisco, also located in the Bay. Netgear also has a good share, and ...is also in the Bay.
Most computers also use an Intel or AMD processor, both companies in the Bay.
Most web servers run on Unix of bsd variance (created at UC Berkeley), the major players are Solaris (Sun located in the Bay) and HP (also in the Bay), IBM (AIX) would be the other one.
Most of your DB stuff also comes from the Bay... Oracle, MySQL, Sybase... lesser market share goes to IBM and MS...
And...none of it is probably going anywhere... 2 of the top 3 CS/CE schools are also in the Bay...Stanford and UCB, the other being MIT. Cal Tech is not too shabby either, probably 6-7...

Could go on and on, but that is probably enough.

Last edited by grapico; 10-26-2009 at 12:15 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 01:40 PM

1,504 posts, read 5,779,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
The Port of L.A.-Long Beach handles more goods than the entire eastern seaboard combined. Says something right there.
Right. Because we import a lot of stuff from southeastern Asia, and it's more convenient to unload containers on this side of the country than to ship them through Panama Canal.

Los Angeles metro is a strange place. It has a lot of people, but not a lot of economy. There's the seaport, the airport, movie industry (though that one has been gradually migrating to cheaper locales such as British Columbia), and a bunch of tourist attractions. And all that is somehow enough to provide employment for 10 million people.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:21 PM

2,890 posts, read 10,465,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
Right. Because we import a lot of stuff from southeastern Asia, and it's more convenient to unload containers on this side of the country than to ship them through Panama Canal.

Los Angeles metro is a strange place. It has a lot of people, but not a lot of economy. There's the seaport, the airport, movie industry (though that one has been gradually migrating to cheaper locales such as British Columbia), and a bunch of tourist attractions. And all that is somehow enough to provide employment for 10 million people.
It's not just Asia. Cars from Europe (notably Volvo and BMW) make their entries into the western U.S. and Canada in large part via L.A.-area ports, who also facilitates commodities from Central and South America. The L.A. port also transits goods with start and end origins outside of the U.S. all together (i.e. components made in Asia destined for final assembly in Mexico). I forget how many millions of jobs the port creates state wide, but it's a hefty amount.

Another large sector of L.A.'s economy is manufacturing. It's often left out of discussions such as these, but it's still a big chunk of the equation.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:45 PM

8,841 posts, read 28,112,165 times
LA:
- Largest port in the USA (and the logistics economy that comes with it)
- Largest manufacturing economy on the west coast
- Large business service sector (probably the biggest)
- Worlds largest Entertainment Business (still huge)

SF Bay is no slouch but take away Silicon Valley and what do you really have left? It's not really comparable to LA - it's like Boston vs. NYC.
Boston is a big city with many strengths but it is not as relevant on a global economic scale.

LA is the juggernaut, flaws and all.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:04 PM

26,684 posts, read 26,854,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Also,
despite having 11 Million more people, being more than twice the size of the Bay Area, the LA Economy is not more than twice the size of its northern counterpart.
2. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA CSA $866.095 Billion
5. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA $508.418 Billion
Technically, I guess I should have asked if San Jose is more of a global city rather than San Francisco. I don't think I'll ever get used to the fact that the Census Bureau designated San Jose as the primary Bay Area city a few years ago.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:13 PM

34,730 posts, read 60,509,140 times
Quote:
- Largest port in the USA (and the logistics economy that comes with it)
Yes, LA beats the Bay Area as far as ports and related industries.

Quote:
- Largest manufacturing economy on the west coast---
Manufacturing Gross Product, 2008
Los Angeles Area $84.7 Billion
SF Bay Area $62.7Billion

Quote:
- Large business service sector (probably the biggest)--
Not sure what this means.

Quote:
- Worlds largest Entertainment Business (still huge)--
Yes.

However much of LAs media is actually New York-based. On the other hand, the Bay Area's tech industry is almost totally locally based.

Quote:
SF Bay is no slouch but take away Silicon Valley and what do you really have left?
Well, Chevron is not located in Silicon Valley-its located in the East Bay and its BY FAR the largest oil company in the Western US. And its California's Largest Company and 3rd largest in the nation-by itself has more revenue than all the F500 companies in SoCal combined. On top of that, PG&E, another Fortune 500 Company, is the largest public utility in the State of California providing coverage to 15 Million people. SF apparently dabbles a bit in energy wouldnt you say?

Also, Wells Fargo, BY FAR the largest bank in the Western US is also HQed in Downtown San Francisco. Along with the Federal Reserve Bank of 12 Western States. As well as Union Bank of California, our 2nd biggest bank, as well as Charles Schwab, California's biggest investment company. Visa International, largest issuer of credit cards in the world is also based in SF. For the above reasons, SF is easily the Financial Center of the west.

McKesson BY FAR the largest pharmaceutical based in the western US is also HQed in Downtown San Francisco.

Gap Inc., Which is the parent company Old Navy and Banana Republic is California's Largest Apparel Company and Levi Strauss, California's most iconic Apparel Company are both HQed in SF.

And so on...

Quote:
It's not really comparable to LA -
I concur.
Per Capita Gross Product, 2008
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland $69,134
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside $48,657

Quote:
it's like Boston vs. NYC.
Boston is a big city with many strengths but it is not as relevant on a global economic scale.
yet as far as likability, San Francisco is usually uttered in the same breath as Rome, Paris and Florence while LA usually is near the bottom of visitor polls and surveys. Which is odd considering LA is a much bigger magnet for visitors both domestically and internationally.

In this aspect, SF and LA are nothing like Boston and NY.

Quote:
LA is the juggernaut, flaws and all.
I happen to agree btw,

However, San Francisco is the 2nd US City to New York as far as worldwide image. In all the years this poll has taken place, SF has been 2nd to NY as far as all US Cities except for once when DC ranked 7th and SF ranked 8th. Other than that NY and SF always get the highest marks as far as what foreigners think, what images they have about these cities and desirability.

2009 Global City Brands Ranking

1. Paris
2. Sydney
3. London
4. Rome
5. New York
6. Barcelona
7. San Francisco
8. Los Angeles
9. Vienna
10. Madrid

Quote:
The index measures the image of 50 cities with respect to Presence, Place, Pre-requisite, People, Pulse and Potential. Each year, a total of 10,000 adultsages 18 and up are interviewed in 20 core countries.
Paris Tops Ranking in Global City Image Study; GfK Roper Public Affairs & Media and Simon Anholt Release 2009 City Brands Index

Old 10-26-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Technically, I guess I should have asked if San Jose is more of a global city rather than San Francisco. I don't think I'll ever get used to the fact that the Census Bureau designated San Jose as the primary Bay Area city a few years ago.
Well if LA gets to stretch clear to the state line then I don't think San Jose being part of the Bay Area should really bother anyone.

Speaking of which, I am surprised by the Inland Empire's economy.

It is actually almost the exact same size as the SF-Oakland MSA. However its economy is approx 3 times smaller.

Population 2008
Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA MSA 4,115,871
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA MSA 4,274,531

Gross Product 2008
Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA MSA $113.0 Billion
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA MSA $310.8 Billion

In fact, The IE has a smaller economy than San Jose, which has less than half the population of Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario.

San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA MSA
Gross Product $146.6 Billion.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:36 AM

That Brand ranking survey you keep posting is total nonsense.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
That Brand ranking survey you keep posting is total nonsense.
Actually it coincides with pretty much every travel and visitor survey in the world for as far as back as I can recall.

Travel + Leisure and Conde Nast combined poll over 100,000 readers around the world every year and the results are always the same.

San Francisco is always either the top US City and 2nd to New York. LA is usually way lower or not even ranked.

Also, Harris Poll asks people where they want to live every single year as well, SF is always higher than LA and its the only city to ever beat NY.

You say that SF is to LA what Boston is to NY and I don't think that's the case at all. SF is incredibly prominent in its own right and not dependent on LA the way the entire NE seems to be dependent on NY.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Actually it coincides with pretty much every travel and visitor survey in the world for as far as back as I can recall.

Travel + Leisure and Conde Nast combined poll over 100,000 readers around the world every year and the results are always the same.

San Francisco is always either the top US City and 2nd to New York. LA is usually way lower or not even ranked.

Also, Harris Poll asks people where they want to live every single year as well, SF is always higher than LA and its the only city to ever beat NY.

You say that SF is to LA what Boston is to NY and I don't think that's the case at all. SF is incredibly prominent in its own right and not dependent on LA the way the entire NE seems to be dependent on NY.
None of that is relevant if the conversation is about economic power. If this is about tourist draw and some nebulous concept of "brand cachet" then Boston and NYC are both "global".

The northeast isn't dependent on NY at all... Boston is over 5 hours from NY. Travel between those cities is just more fluid due to multiple options like trains which CA doesn't have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California