Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 03:00 PM

69 posts, read 448,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I was born and raised in California (mostly) and just moved to Metro Detroit from Temecula in July of 2006. Although we love Michigan, the biggest thing we hate here is the Racial Divide, so big and bad it deserves to be capitalized.
I lived in Tulsa Oklahoma for a few years, which was home to some of the worst race riots in American history, and THAT place wasn't as bad (by far) as this area.
On to California. I guess I should preface saying that I'm white. In my opinion Kingsnkali and most of the others have it right...California is mostly split along class lines rather than racial. There are exceptions, especially in more rural areas...but most of California isn't rural. Well technically I guess it is, but you get what I mean. (I hope). Most Californians live all bunched up together, as close to the beach as they can afford.
I lived in an upper middle class neighborhood in Murrieta, a predominately middle to upper middle class town. I of course lived in a sub, my neighbors drove Cadillacs, BMW's, Mercedes, Hummers...you get the picture. I would say about 60% of the neighborhood was white, and the rest a solid mix of Hispanic, Black, Asian...
I have been to "black" neighborhoods where everyone was upper middle class...doctors, lawyers, ect.
I have been to "white" neighborhoods that were crime and drug ridden.
The bottom line is in my experience, race really isn't the factor is Cali. It's all about money. Those who have it commiserate together, despite color, because in general Californians (pretentious as we are) pride themselves on being progressive, and look down on such archaic notions as racism.
I say in general. Racism exists everywhere to some degree. But in general, I think you will find California to be agreeable to you in this regard. Good luck and enjoy the beach! Being from Michigan, I know you will.
Hi, what brought you to michigan of all places? lol yeah there is a major problem in michigan when it comes to Racial divisivness. Right now that state is in a financial black hole close to a billion and it has nothing to offer a guy like me almost done with college. I definitly look forward to the beaches and more social opportunities in Cali. Thanks : )

Old 05-10-2007, 05:55 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan_Man View Post
Hi, what brought you to michigan of all places? lol yeah there is a major problem in michigan when it comes to Racial divisivness. Right now that state is in a financial black hole close to a billion and it has nothing to offer a guy like me almost done with college. I definitly look forward to the beaches and more social opportunities in Cali. Thanks : )
If I had a dollar for every Michigander who has asked why we moved to Michigan...I would be a flipping millionaire!
Long story short, moved here to be by family. I am married and both of our sets of parents ended up here. She's an only child and my only sibling moved here too.
Peace!

Old 05-10-2007, 05:59 PM

193 posts, read 1,403,033 times
EscapeCalifornia....let me ask you something. Why would someone who has gone through the requirements to become a naturalized citizen be "pro-illegal"? If such a person was "pro-illegal" why would they have bothered with doing it the legal way in the first place? Why not just stay illegal?

I can tell you don't know many naturalized citizens. Why do I assume this? Because if you did you would know full well that most of us who became American citizens the old fashioned way don't care for those who don't follow the rules of doing what it takes to integrate into the U.S. and study, and work hard , and do all the paper work ,and take the test to become a member of this republic. I, like my husband who has been in the Marine Corps for over 20 years now, took an oath to protect the U.S. against all enemies, foreign and domestic. I didn't get to be an American citizen just because I was lucky enough to be born here. In that I have something in common with the many people who came before me from other lands and brought to this country their sweat and tears in establishing the kind of country that is truly "the land of the free and the home of the brave."

I personally don't think it takes much bravery to post a message directly aimed at someone and not have the decency to personally acknowledge them by screen name. If you really are one of those white people you refer to in your post that don't have a problem with people such as myself that you described, I suggest you don't quote my post and then suggest I am "pro-illegal" simply because you have nothing better to do than find something else to complain about.

Whatever kind of person you choose to be, in the least be the kind of American my husband is willing to put his life on the line to protect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California