Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2009, 08:37 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,725,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Thanks Coyoteskye! That was the most positive CA reply I have had in the last 6 months
I'm keepin' the dream alive, just shoveling snow and being bored while doing it
You gotta keep your dream alive ... no-one can talk you out of it ... just be prepared for some (if only a little) disillusionment ... which is o.k. ... it keeps you real.
Also, when you finally do make it out to CA, you might just find that after a year or two, you miss that snow.
But then, a relatively short drive to the Sierra will fulfill that need and you can head back to the ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 11:27 PM

634 posts, read 1,448,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
Wow, you lived in Oakland and didn't get raped, mugged, or murdered? LOL! Some non-Californians on this forum would have everyone believe that is absolutely impossible.

Just goes to show you everyone has their own perspective, and even their own "picture" of what some place is like.

Well, I'm a non-Californian . . . though I hope Oakland will allow me to call her an adopted home . . . and I'll definitely attest to the fact that it's not impossible. There are good people everywhere, including Oakland. I found quite a few of good people who are now as good as family in Oakland.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:39 PM

205 posts, read 589,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
To me, there's too many illegal Mexicans. Other than that problem, the state is fine. But yeah, if people are actually LEAVING and can't wait to get out, than there's indeed a problem. I suspect it's probably because of all the illegals.

Illegals are in every state. And they come from ALL countries.
California is fine. The weather is wonderful, the state is beautiful, the movie stars like it and so do I.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:46 PM

26 posts, read 193,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
Oh it's before that

It's the damn Chinese coming in for the railroads
Or the Mormans with their damn religion
or wait, is it the Italians?
no no
"No Irish Need Apply"!

If you are not a native american indian, how can you ***** about immigration?

---Because most immigrants that come here now (from Mexico) don't want to become Americans, like the Irish or Italian immigrants did when they arrived. They want to be Mexicans living in America, sending their children to the schools and getting free medical care without paying taxes, because WE DO THAT here in CA. It's not about immigration at its core, it's the effect of a group of people that don't try to become independent from public assistance. Immigrants can get most things free, and many others discounted, from school lunches to utility bills. When I signed my son up for kindergarten I was handed a paper that said if I was a migrant farmworker, I didn't need any documentation for my child. Being a citizen, I had to fill out many, many forms to get it done. My husband has a job, so my kids don't eat for free, but many of their classmates do. The teacher has to take time to explain (in Spanish) to kids who don't speak it, and that takes away from the other children. I have to press 1 for English in most cases. And my favorite, even though the street signs are in English, they have Spanish DRIVERS LICENSE tests at the DMV. Our state makes it easier to stay Mexican than to become Mexican-American, and that's a big problem. Meanwhile, our high costs of living here are directly associated with the funding of these programs, and those that benefit pay nothing. Is it any wonder we have a huge defecit? I could go on, about the teenage pregnancies within the culture, the enormous gang problems, and the hundreds of drunk driving arrests (of illegals) that my husband has made--much more common than any other kind.
Come to California, learn English, work hard, better yourself and your situation, I welcome you as a neighbor.
Come to California, pop out a few babies for free, mooch off the system and complain when the officer arresting you for drunk driving doesn't speak Spanish? (this has actually happened)--get out.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:42 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
You gotta keep your dream alive ... no-one can talk you out of it ... just be prepared for some (if only a little) disillusionment ... which is o.k. ... it keeps you real.
Also, when you finally do make it out to CA, you might just find that after a year or two, you miss that snow.
But then, a relatively short drive to the Sierra will fulfill that need and you can head back to the ocean.
Thank you!

Old 10-31-2009, 10:25 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwatersunwind View Post
---Because most immigrants that come here now (from Mexico) don't want to become Americans, like the Irish or Italian immigrants did when they arrived. They want to be Mexicans living in America, sending their children to the schools and getting free medical care without paying taxes, because WE DO THAT here in CA. It's not about immigration at its core, it's the effect of a group of people that don't try to become independent from public assistance. Immigrants can get most things free, and many others discounted, from school lunches to utility bills. When I signed my son up for kindergarten I was handed a paper that said if I was a migrant farmworker, I didn't need any documentation for my child. Being a citizen, I had to fill out many, many forms to get it done. My husband has a job, so my kids don't eat for free, but many of their classmates do. The teacher has to take time to explain (in Spanish) to kids who don't speak it, and that takes away from the other children. I have to press 1 for English in most cases. And my favorite, even though the street signs are in English, they have Spanish DRIVERS LICENSE tests at the DMV. Our state makes it easier to stay Mexican than to become Mexican-American, and that's a big problem. Meanwhile, our high costs of living here are directly associated with the funding of these programs, and those that benefit pay nothing. Is it any wonder we have a huge defecit? I could go on, about the teenage pregnancies within the culture, the enormous gang problems, and the hundreds of drunk driving arrests (of illegals) that my husband has made--much more common than any other kind.
Come to California, learn English, work hard, better yourself and your situation, I welcome you as a neighbor.
Come to California, pop out a few babies for free, mooch off the system and complain when the officer arresting you for drunk driving doesn't speak Spanish? (this has actually happened)--get out.
Gosh, life sounds pretty horrible and bleak for you and your family.

I don't know where you're living but glad I'm here in my beautiful home state of California!

Looking forward to taking my kids to the snow in a couple months and trick or treating tonight. I'm off to the farmer's market now..and a walk in the Redwood regional park after that! I honestly hope you manage to have a good day for the sake of your little one.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:31 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,425 times
Quote:

You have summed it it so dead on!

Old 10-31-2009, 05:50 PM

302 posts, read 864,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvetta View Post
Illegals are in every state. And they come from ALL countries.
California is fine. The weather is wonderful, the state is beautiful, the movie stars like it and so do I.
The illegals come in from states that tend to border Mexico, such as California and part of Texas. It's a geography thing.

And since Mexico sucks so bad (inhumane prisons systems, not much better public services) they're naturally going to be the ones trying to flee to greener places.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:13 PM

634 posts, read 1,448,174 times
Quote:

Not true. Not true at all. I've met many immigrants who would love a path to citizenship. My grandmother was one of them. Perhaps you should convince your beloved fellow U.S. citizens content to apprise themselves of "cheap" foreign labor in their nurseries, car washes, and construction sites, that their activities do nothing to address a very significant problem. Also, Irish and Italian immigrants experienced a disgusting amount of discrimination and were probably very eager to assimilate for fear of the violence and social marginalization they would surely face otherwise. There's a significant amount of literature on the various social clubs, local newsletters, and other organizations, which were created to give immigrants a taste of home. Of course, if you do that today people claim you're "un-American" . . . but really, ask yourself, what does it even mean to be an American? I hope there's not one right answer. We're too great a nation for that.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:49 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
Not true. Not true at all. I've met many immigrants who would love a path to citizenship. My grandmother was one of them. Perhaps you should convince your beloved fellow U.S. citizens content to apprise themselves of "cheap" foreign labor in their nurseries, car washes, and construction sites, that their activities do nothing to address a very significant problem. Also, Irish and Italian immigrants experienced a disgusting amount of discrimination and were probably very eager to assimilate for fear of the violence and social marginalization they would surely face otherwise. There's a significant amount of literature on the various social clubs, local newsletters, and other organizations, which were created to give immigrants a taste of home. Of course, if you do that today people claim you're "un-American" . . . but really, ask yourself, what does it even mean to be an American? I hope there's not one right answer. We're too great a nation for that.
Over the course of living in California for 30 years, I've met many illegal immigrants predominantly from Mexico. Many seem to want the benefits afforded to U.S. Citizens without paying the price of assimilation. Because assimilation seems to be a non-issue, the impression one gets is that many are content with surviving within their immediate sub-culture.

Staying within their sub-culture automatically lessens a person's need to assimilate by way of learning the language and being knowledgeable of the host nation's history and idiosyncracies. Learning the local language, knowing the history and idiosyncracies of the land requires a little head work. And that seems to be where many throw their arms up. If these could be obtained by physical labor many of our illegal immigrants would likely rise out of their immediate sub-culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California