Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 08:25 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,497,885 times

Advertisements

Likely because of access, or there was another issue regarding the logging road. If you picture a slope, now cut that slope with a road running across it, a fire will run up the hill, the radiated heat will preheat the fuels in front of it, if you have a slope, the fuels above will be preheated, a 19ft wide road is not going to do much. It is not uncommon for fires to jump multilane freeways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 02:43 PM

3 posts, read 7,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Sacramento View Post
The illegals come in from states that tend to border Mexico, such as California and part of Texas. It's a geography thing.

And since Mexico sucks so bad (inhumane prisons systems, not much better public services) they're naturally going to be the ones trying to flee to greener places.

[FONT=Helv][SIZE=2][FONT=Helv][SIZE=2]I live in Mexico, I'm Mexican, No offense but I think you should think twice what you say; I'm gonna explain you why. In the third world things are not so easy, and the thing you think are granted like education, Heat, security, In Mexico, they are not.
For instance, I went to university and I have to learn English and another language to get a good job. I work more than 10 per day, I just have 5 days of vacation per year. My salary cannot be compared with one US guy with the same position in the same company. And you know why I stay here because of my Family to give them a better future, to take care of them, to feed them!!!!
You may thin, why don't you guys complain with the Government well my friend I have news, here in Mexico if you make to much noise the government can threaten you. And if again I have a family to protect. Who is gonna protect your family if you to prison???
As Working Mexican citizen you just have two option. 1.- work like a dog to a have at least a kind of a good live. 2.- Go to another country like the US to be chased
You should be thankful for the place in which you was born, after all you cannot chose that.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 08-06-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwatersunwind View Post
---Because most immigrants that come here now (from Mexico) don't want to become Americans, like the Irish or Italian immigrants did when they arrived. They want to be Mexicans living in America, sending their children to the schools and getting free medical care without paying taxes, because WE DO THAT here in CA. It's not about immigration at its core, it's the effect of a group of people that don't try to become independent from public assistance. Immigrants can get most things free, and many others discounted, from school lunches to utility bills. When I signed my son up for kindergarten I was handed a paper that said if I was a migrant farmworker, I didn't need any documentation for my child. Being a citizen, I had to fill out many, many forms to get it done. My husband has a job, so my kids don't eat for free, but many of their classmates do. The teacher has to take time to explain (in Spanish) to kids who don't speak it, and that takes away from the other children. I have to press 1 for English in most cases. And my favorite, even though the street signs are in English, they have Spanish DRIVERS LICENSE tests at the DMV. Our state makes it easier to stay Mexican than to become Mexican-American, and that's a big problem. Meanwhile, our high costs of living here are directly associated with the funding of these programs, and those that benefit pay nothing. Is it any wonder we have a huge defecit? I could go on, about the teenage pregnancies within the culture, the enormous gang problems, and the hundreds of drunk driving arrests (of illegals) that my husband has made--much more common than any other kind.
Come to California, learn English, work hard, better yourself and your situation, I welcome you as a neighbor.
Come to California, pop out a few babies for free, mooch off the system and complain when the officer arresting you for drunk driving doesn't speak Spanish? (this has actually happened)--get out.

[FONT=Helv][SIZE=2][FONT=Helv][SIZE=2]I live in Mexico, I'm Mexican, No offense but I think you should think twice what you say; I'm gonna explain you why. In the third world things are not so easy, and the thing you think are granted like education, Heat, security, In Mexico, they are not.
For instance, I went to university and I have to learn English and another language to get a good job. I work more than 10 per day, I just have 5 days of vacation per year. My salary cannot be compared with one US guy with the same position in the same company. And you know why I stay here because of my Family to give them a better future, to take care of them, to feed them!!!!
You may thin, why don't you guys complain with the Government well my friend I have news, here in Mexico if you make to much noise the government can threaten you. And if again I have a family to protect. Who is gonna protect your family if you to prison???
As Working Mexican citizen you just have two option. 1.- work like a dog to a have at least a kind of a good live. 2.- Go to another country like the US to be chased
You should be thankful for the place in which you was born, after all you cannot chose that.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 08-06-2010, 02:47 PM

Default Hola amigos, lean esto por favor

[FONT=Helv][SIZE=2][FONT=Helv][SIZE=2]I live in Mexico, I'm Mexican, No offense but I think you should think twice what you say; I'm gonna explain you why. In the third world things are not so easy, and the thing you think are granted like education, Heat, security, In Mexico, they are not. [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Helv]For instance, I went to university and I have to learn English and another language to get a good job. I work more than 10 per day, I just have 5 days of vacation per year. My salary cannot be compared with one US guy with the same position in the same company. And you know why I stay here because of my Family to give them a better future, to take care of them, to feed them!!!![/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Helv]You may thin, why don't you guys complain with the Government well my friend I have news, here in Mexico if you make to much noise the government can threaten you. And if again I have a family to protect. Who is gonna protect your family if you to prison??? [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Helv]As Working Mexican citizen you just have two option. 1.- work like a dog to a have at least a kind of a good live. 2.- Go to another country like the US to be chased[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Helv]You should be thankful for the place in which you was born, after all you cannot chose that.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Helv][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 08-07-2010, 02:14 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,678,877 times
I left California 25 years ago. Never considered moving back.

It was good while it lasted but the good days are in the rear view mirror.

I work with a person who was raised on his grandfather's prune farm in Napa and has deep roots in California. Real roots. Every single member of his family from generations back grown in California are all gone now. None of them will return.

California just ain't what it used to be, and people who remember what it used to be know that isn't what California is now, or ever will be again.

But back in the day, back in the day, it was a kind of paradise.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:02 AM
R66

145 posts, read 418,065 times
Azoria -

Where do you and your friends migrate to? Montana? It seems to me there are still virgin areas in California still undiscovered by the general populace like Redding, parts of the eastern Seirras, Marin County, Santa Rosa and north.

I think Hollywood and the Film industry had a lot to do with changing California for the worst and we know who started the Film industry!

I've seen old photographs of LA and SF Valley early 1900s .... Amazing!

Old 08-07-2010, 08:21 AM

10,801 posts, read 14,858,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
What's happened here? What is that one underlying issue that is making most of us turn our backs on the once pristine state of California???
In one simple word SEIU.

The Beholden State by Steven Malanga, City Journal Spring 2010

Quote:
The camera focuses on an official of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), California’s largest public-employee union, sitting in a legislative chamber and speaking into a microphone. “We helped to get you into office, and we got a good memory,” she says matter-of-factly to the elected officials outside the shot. “Come November, if you don’t back our program, we’ll get you out of office.’
The cartoon is priceless and no state can afford six figure retirements.

What will happen when the money totally runs out for everything? What will happen when the money is totally gone? If California thinks they can go to congress they can forget about it; why should states that have been more frugal put up money to bail out the pig state?

Old 08-07-2010, 08:36 AM

10,801 posts, read 14,858,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R66 View Post
Azoria -

Where do you and your friends migrate to? Montana? It seems to me there are still virgin areas in California still undiscovered by the general populace like Redding, parts of the eastern Seirras, Marin County, Santa Rosa and north.

I think Hollywood and the Film industry had a lot to do with changing California for the worst and we know who started the Film industry!

I've seen old photographs of LA and SF Valley early 1900s .... Amazing!
Both my parents were born in California in the 1920's and I have a great-great grandfather that immigrated to California from Russia before the gold rush.

I was born in San Mateo County and grew up in California going to school in the 50's and college in the 60's.

I left years ago and while I still visit family there I do not miss it one bit. Imagine the El Camino having thousands of acres of orchards on both sides between Palo Alto and Mountain, Mountain View and Sunnyvale and Sunnyvale to Santa Clara.

It was the time before Interstates and the only way to travel was Hwy 101 or the Bayshore Freeway. Between the Freeway and the bay there was nothing but fields and marshes with the exception of East Palo Alto which was the only town east of the freeway from San Francisco to San Jose. An unbelievable place for a young man to grow up in the 50's and early 60's it was truly heaven.

Today I visit and have trouble finding the houses I grew up in it's changed so much.

Does anyone else remember the old tannery in Redwood City?

In state tuition was free the first year I attended San Jose State I think it cost me around $80 and that included books. Biggest expense was buying a student body card for $15.

To be in California we felt rich and we were until politicians in Sacramento started spending like drunken sailors while the California Department of Business Prevention got into full swing to kill any businesses worth killing.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:57 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,041,227 times
^^while it does sound like a wonderful time, I grew up a little later in CA. My in-laws took us on a trip to Pasadena and we learned what it was like for them to grow up in Pasadena and Los Angeles when there were streetcars and orange groves between the two. And while it has changed all over the state, much of what draws people to California is still there. Its under the surface of day to day living. Its the land, the ocean, the climate. If you can find your place, your niche it can still be a slice of paradise. Its much much tougher than before though.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:38 AM

514 posts, read 682,076 times
Quote:
I left California 25 years ago. Never considered moving back.

It was good while it lasted but the good days are in the rear view mirror.

I work with a person who was raised on his grandfather's prune farm in Napa and has deep roots in California. Real roots. Every single member of his family from generations back grown in California are all gone now. None of them will return.

California just ain't what it used to be, and people who remember what it used to be know that isn't what California is now, or ever will be again.

But back in the day, back in the day, it was a kind of paradise.
Still is, outside the megalopolis's. Half the state, that is Half the land area of California, is public land, available for paradise.

Much of the rest of the state is private ranch and farm lands, only a small percentage in and around the megalopolis's has gone bad.

If you are a city person, it matters not where you live, the midwest is as good as CA etc.

If you are an outdoors person the state is still a Paradise.

Quote:
What will happen when the money totally runs out for everything? What will happen when the money is totally gone? If California thinks they can go to congress they can forget about it; why should states that have been more frugal put up money to bail out the pig state?
If the state runs out of money, then all the (by your ideas) bad stuff stops.

Your last sentence ignores the reality that California supplies far more in goods and services and tax dollars to the rest of America than it receives, and far more than any other state.

Simply by virtue of it being a "blue state" it and the other blue states provide more services to the
Red states than the red states pay for.

Reality is a complex thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California