Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 04:32 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
I don't think any of my friends or family think CA is perfect, or that the state doesn't have problems. They just like living there anyway. I'd only consider a few of them to have their head in the sand.
Thank goodness! If too many people began to think CA was perfect nothing would ever get fixed, LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 04:32 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Exactly. My son is still in California and most of the family. For now. Half of them have plans to move on. And why can't I speak my mind about what was lost when it was my experience from being a third generation native?

When you say why did YOU move, you should expect people to say why and from their own point of view. Nobody is claiming that everyone needs to share it.
As a writer and avid reader, I would love to hear other folks' memoirs about growing up in CA -- what it was then and what they feel that it has become now. There is such great romance about the state, and now of course there is the reality. It would be great to ahve an anthology of short pieces by people like you. Maybe it would inspire Californians to revolt and bring their state back to what is was like in the good old formative days of our country. But then, I'm sure there were things that weren't so good that we've now made progress on. CA sure is a fascinating place.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:33 PM

212 posts, read 476,031 times
Heck I hate to post this,

But someone else posted the "Most Wanted in California" recently...

And I have been looking trying to find the stat's on ILLEGAL ALIENS (Not Latinos) in our Jails and Prisons...

Well, she has a point...

Race/Ethnic Group of Arrestee
In 2008, of the 1,509,666 arrests for felony and
misdemeanor offenses:
zzArrests of whites accounted for 35.2 percent
(531,095).
zzArrests of Hispanics accounted for 41.2
percent (622,320).

zzArrests of blacks accounted for 17.4 percent
(263,321).
zzArrests of persons of other race/ethnic groups
accounted for 6.2 percent (92,930).

http://www.ag.ca.gov/cjsc/publicatio...08/preface.pdf

Racial and ancestral makeup

According to the 2006–2008 American Community Survey, California's population is:[29]

As I wrote previously, regardless of the excuse, these numbers are just too high.

Personally, I believe the overrepresentation is due to ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTs...

We need to enforce the border, and move from there. As in the 80's, if we don't seal off the border, this will cyclically continue.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:43 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I'm glad you said this. This is likely the very reason why when we talk about illegal immigration, we get labeled racist if we take an even slightly harder stance on it.

It is true that the topic of illegal immigration has really become a veiled attack on Latinos in many ways. Rarely does the topic stay on just the immigration issue.
I do not live in CA or Mexico and cannot begin to understand all the issues involved in illegal immigration. I do think though that anti-illegal immigration comments are not aimed at Mexicans per se, they would be aimed at any demographic annexed to the US that disobeyed/ignored laws on the books, whether those laws are seen as good or bad. If Iceland were annexed to the US I'm sure there;d be just as large an outcry against illegal "aliens" coming into the US from Iceland. You can always take an argument to a larger level, changing the specifics so as not to be interpreted as racist. Though there may be racist issues in the CA/Mexican dilemma, it's possible that racism is not the crux of the argument.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:45 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
My mother has a chair and a salad bowl that came to California in a covered wagon, with her predecessors, about 1856, what is that? 7 generations?

I live on the farm that my Grandfather began farming on, in 1908. Still owned by us, still farmed.

I think I have my street cred.

I left this state 41 years ago, to, much to curmudgeons shock, go to Vietnam (a really dumb move) I have lived in several other states, and now am back.

I think I know whereof I speak.

When you, that Californian, "move on" when you settle in some small town, you will be known as one more damned Californian, Californicating the rest of the country. May as well stay here and enjoy the weather.

Curmudgeon wants to make disparaging remarks about me because I am content in this state. Why? Could it be because he left this state because he was not happy here, only to discover that "happy" is internal not external?
I think happiness is finding a place you like, and a lifestyle you appreciate. If where you are isn't it, then if you find it somewhere else you'll be happy. I have been "unhappy" in socal for a long long time and didn't like what it had become. Thus I found a place that I enjoy living. Its internal in that some will never find it since they won't let themselves, but its external too, since if you hate rush and traffic and noise and everything around you is like that, you won't be content with it. And will want to find something better. Its not so simple as one thing or the other.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:59 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,544,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwayAndBackToSac View Post
Heck I hate to post this,

But someone else posted the "Most Wanted in California" recently...

And I have been looking trying to find the stat's on ILLEGAL ALIENS (Not Latinos) in our Jails and Prisons...

Well, she has a point...

Race/Ethnic Group of Arrestee
In 2008, of the 1,509,666 arrests for felony and
misdemeanor offenses:
zzArrests of whites accounted for 35.2 percent
(531,095).
zzArrests of Hispanics accounted for 41.2
percent (622,320).

zzArrests of blacks accounted for 17.4 percent
(263,321).
zzArrests of persons of other race/ethnic groups
accounted for 6.2 percent (92,930).

http://www.ag.ca.gov/cjsc/publicatio...08/preface.pdf

Racial and ancestral makeup

According to the 2006–2008 American Community Survey, California's population is:[29]

As I wrote previously, regardless of the excuse, these numbers are just too high.

Personally, I believe the overrepresentation is due to ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTs...

We need to enforce the border, and move from there. As in the 80's, if we don't seal off the border, this will cyclically continue.
I believe the root problem behind this stat is due to the large number of Hispanics in poverty, not the illegal immigration issue, though that is also a factor that can be tied into the stats as well.

It would be interesting to find stats on the percentage of each ethnic background that falls in the poverty category in CA, and the US in general. I would bet there would be a correlation between that stat and the crime stats.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Though there may be racist issues in the CA/Mexican dilemma, it's possible that racism is not the crux of the argument.
Thank you! This is why so many disagreements on opinion are turned into accusations of racism. Its okay for blacks to hate whites because "we" enslaved their ancestors, and its okay for Hispanics to hate whites because we "stole" California, but it is NOT okay for a white persn to say..."Hey, I don't like the government ignoring the ILLEGAL crossing of our borders nd making me pay for the consequences with my tax dollars." Suddenly its a racists issue instead of one about rules, laws and regulations.

I think its been well established that I despise illegals as well as those LEGAL groups of Hispanics who promote the overthrow of California, like La Raza.

I also despise the KKK, the Black Panthers and any other group which promotes violence against other racial groups.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:03 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I do not live in CA or Mexico and cannot begin to understand all the issues involved in illegal immigration. I do think though that anti-illegal immigration comments are not aimed at Mexicans per se, they would be aimed at any demographic annexed to the US that disobeyed/ignored laws on the books, whether those laws are seen as good or bad. If Iceland were annexed to the US I'm sure there;d be just as large an outcry against illegal "aliens" coming into the US from Iceland. You can always take an argument to a larger level, changing the specifics so as not to be interpreted as racist. Though there may be racist issues in the CA/Mexican dilemma, it's possible that racism is not the crux of the argument.
If Iceland were annexed to the US and Icelanders started coming here, how would they be illegal?

Old 08-11-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
I believe the root problem behind this stat is due to the large number of Hispanics in poverty, not the illegal immigration issue, though that is also a factor that can be tied into the stats as well.

It would be interesting to find stats on the percentage of each ethnic background that falls in the poverty category in CA, and the US in general. I would bet there would be a correlation between that stat and the crime stats.

Sorry, poverty is not an acceptable excuse for breaking into another's home, murdering someone or stealing their car for a joy ride. There are lots of Hispanic families living at the poverty level who are decent, law abiding citizens. There are also Hispanic families with nice cars, decent houses and jobs who's children commit crimes and join gangs. Some of those who own the houses and cars are in gangs. I drive around Van Nuys every day and I see some real hinky looking people driving very, very expensive cars

Old 08-11-2010, 05:08 PM

514 posts, read 686,769 times
Quote:
We didn't "take it," we signed a treaty (Guadalupe Hidalgo) and paid $15 million for it. And the Mexicans are STILL stealing the things we've paid for...our cars, cells phones, government tax dollars, etc...
Funny, that is like a guy that robs your house of half the valuable stuff, then leaves you a twenty dollar bill, and says, I didn't steal from you, I bought that stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California