Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 09:47 AM

514 posts, read 682,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
For jobs most likely. Living in the middle of nowhere is only possible if your able to be successfully self-employed.
Living in San Luis Obispo, for instance is not the middle of nowhere. So many Americans work to support their jobs, which when you think about it is not a good way to go through life. Too many of us feel that there are material things that we cannot do without, 300 dollar telephones, 4,000 square foot homes.

However, I understand that the concept of living where you can pee off your front porch without annoying the neighbors is uncomfortable for many, yet most of our grandparents lived like that, small farmers or small towns. Very much in line with the America Thomas Jefferson envisioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 09:58 AM

516 posts, read 373,550 times
I'm visiting California right now. I lived here for over 30 years and left in the mid-90's. SoCal is like being in Mexico now. The beaches, malls, streets, stores are all filled with Mexicans taking what was, once, their territory back. Asians and middle Easterns make up the rest of the population with Caucasians sprinkled here and there for a bit of variety. The Golden state is over for all but the foreigners now.

The ethnic food is pretty good though.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:10 AM

660 posts, read 1,392,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
Living in San Luis Obispo, for instance is not the middle of nowhere. So many Americans work to support their jobs, which when you think about it is not a good way to go through life. Too many of us feel that there are material things that we cannot do without, 300 dollar telephones, 4,000 square foot homes.
Yes, SLO isn't the middle of nowhere. And I agree that many can and should do without all those extra material things they don't need, especially if they're struggling to make ends meet. Unfortunately, that logic doesn't seem to get through to some folks.

Quote:
However, I understand that the concept of living where you can pee off your front porch without annoying the neighbors is uncomfortable for many, yet most of our grandparents lived like that, small farmers or small towns. Very much in line with the America Thomas Jefferson envisioned.
I know I would be uncomfortable living in a small town but maybe because I always lived in a big city and have certain expectations.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
The Golden state is over for all but the foreigners now.
That is what the Chumash said, then the Mexicans, and now, the white folk, pretty humorous.

Ladysovereign, there is only one city in CA that I would consider living in, and that is SF, a two hundred mile suburb like LA? I find that appalling.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:23 AM

16,581 posts, read 27,248,742 times
Quote:
That is what the Chumash said, then the Mexicans, and now, the white folk, pretty humorous.

Ladysovereign, there is only one city in CA that I would consider living in, and that is SF, a two hundred mile suburb like LA? I find that appalling.
It's funny, blacks have never felt like anyplace in Ca. was "ours" really save maybe a few places.

Anyway, would you ever consider San Diego?

Old 08-12-2010, 11:12 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,527,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Even at the time of the war when the U.S. forces invaded Mexico City, the American people were a little embarrassed by their own unadulterated greed. Today the U.S. condemns other nations for doing the very thing America did to Mexico.
Lucky for us there was no United Nations organization 150-200 years ago. The United States would probably consist of half the land mass it has today. The way this nation was formed (through "treaties" and "purchases", and by outright force) would not have been tolerated today. And ironically enough, it's we who condemn those same actions today (when it suits us).

I guess I have a different opinion on the illegal immigration issue because I grew up around many of the same illegal immigrants everyone is blaming all our problems on right now. Yet, most of the those that I later found out were illegal were largely hard working family people - very much like any other American or legal immigrant. They seemed to be just as poor as our family and were working hard to make the best for their kids (the kids I went to school with). If anything, I observed more citizens living on welfare with no desire to work than those I knew were here illegally while growing up. Maybe my experience was unique. I don't know.

Maybe things are different with today's illegal immigrants. But even some of the ones I know these days, or their children, don't live off the system. They pay taxes just like I do. I know there are plenty out there who work for under-the-table wages, and plenty more that come here to take advantage our system. But I would argue that a sizable percentage come here to work hard and not become a burden, contributing to our society in a positive way. I think illegal immigration does pose problems, but I don't think it's hurting us as much as some would have you believe. I think sometimes they're made out as the scapegoat. However, with that said, I would agree with others that are calling for those illegals who clog our prison system to be deported. No sense in paying extra taxes on them. And yes, we should do more to protect the borders for better security.

Any idea how long the wait time is for a Mexican citizen to be granted entry to the United States to become a citizen here? Just wondering. Any idea on the costs associated with doing so these days? I've heard it's fairly expensive and the wait time is really long. Seems to me that the immigrants who need work the most, the desperate ones who risk everything to come here to do labor work that pays minimum wage to help their families back home, wouldn't be able to come here legally if they tried. Until Mexico's economy improves, it would appear that no wall will be tall enough to keep out people who are desperate enough to risk their lives to cross. At some point we're going to have to shoot them to stop them.

Last edited by Ludachris; 08-12-2010 at 11:39 AM..

Old 08-12-2010, 11:19 AM

I lived in San Diego as a young man, for a year. San Diego has the same problem as most cities in that it is a huge suburb. I could to live on Point Loma and keep my boat at Shelter Island, that would be possible, but, I am in love with open spaces.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:21 AM

Ludachris, you nailed it. I think all this talk about how awful illegals are is just prejudice against Mexicans. None of this stuff is new, but it always had the word Mexican stuck to it, now they use either Mexican or illegal.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:23 AM

16,581 posts, read 27,248,742 times
Quote:
I lived in San Diego as a young man, for a year. San Diego has the same problem as most cities in that it is a huge suburb. I could to live on Point Loma and keep my boat at Shelter Island, that would be possible, but, I am in love with open spaces.
Point Loma is my favorite part of the city as well. It's well planted with lots of trees, pines even which I love.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:25 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,527,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You're not being xenophobic, there is something wrong when you feel out of place in your own country.
Isn't America a nation of immigrants one way or another? The ones that have been here longer might feel a little uncomfortable being surrounded by those just arriving, but most all of us come from a family that migrated here at some point. Just sounds funny to hear people say that based on our nation's history of being a melting pot. Reminds me of the movie "Gangs of New York".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California