Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 10:35 PM
R66

145 posts, read 419,735 times

Advertisements

Fyi: I am 44 years old / 7th generation white American ( Indian-German-Irish ). My Mother was dirt poor and my Grandfather worked the Coal Mines of West Virginia. My Father walked to school barefoot in Tennessee below zero winters until the 3rd grade when his Grandmother finally took him in. I am currently semi-retired, single, no kids, divorced Businessman. I've lived in Spain, Panama, Brazil and Colombia. I purchased property in Colombia and bought and sold a Condo with Land in Costa Rica. I also spear headed an investment group as we tried to build a large Resort Hotel in NE Brazil -- and the result was we got scammed out of $150.000 USD which was 100% my fault as I entrusted what I perceived was a highly viable, ethical manager from a highly reputable Hotel in a large city in NE Brazil. He was also a long time friend and he was Brazilian.

In my experiences .... All these countries would not let me work because the general policy is unless I have a special work visa I am taking the job a local or a Brazilian could work and I was also a constant target for scammers, kidnappers, rude people who hate Americans, etc. That said, in the US newly arrived Immigrants can work, live and speak and dress their own culture but when we Americans live in their countries we must dress and act like them or we have problems. When you see Persians, Mexicans, Colombians, Brazilians, Asians all speaking and dressing like they are in their own countries; they are directly disrespecting the US culture - period. And they come here with corrupt money from Oil, Drugs, etc.

Why is 3 of every 5 vehicles in the Valley a new Benz or BMW driven buy a middle aged plastic Persian woman who can't nor won't speak a word of English? ... I tell you why --> laundered rogue Oil/Drug money is supporting her extravagant US lifestyle via direct deposits from the Middle East.

When I lived in Brazil I had no choice but to speak Portuguese and dress and act like a native Brazilian. I had zero rights and when I was robbed the local Police would not help me not one bit. The only way I could stay in Brazil after 90 days was if I married a local Gal. And my Apartment was robbed by my so-called Best Friend Personal Trainer in Ipanema no less and I was mugged numerous times and finally I resorted to telling people 'I was German' because if I said 'American' they would make snide comments about me or the USA.

Miami is no different.... In fact I think Cubans are much more aggressive than Mexicans and they always seem to feel a sense of entitlement since they now live in the Land of Plenty -- The USA.

Last edited by R66; 08-12-2010 at 11:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 12:07 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
Isn't America a nation of immigrants one way or another? The ones that have been here longer might feel a little uncomfortable being surrounded by those just arriving, but most all of us come from a family that migrated here at some point. Just sounds funny to hear people say that based on our nation's history of being a melting pot. Reminds me of the movie "Gangs of New York".
Yes but the difference is now the more recent immigrants do not want to be a part of America, they don't want to be a part of the "melting pot"

I knew people in LA who had lived there more than 10 years but couldn't speak English. They made no effort to adapt to where they were living.

No one is saying lose your culture, but if I moved to France and didn't make an effort to learn the language and adapt to the culture that would be frowned upon.

I knew someone else who came over from Germany on a student visa and never left.

The people that came to this country years ago did so because they held America in high regard and wanted a better life. You don't see that so much anymore.

The one I mentioned from Germany constantly bad mouthed the US( yet she remained). The last I heard of her is she is getting married, which is interesting because she is a lesbian. My guess would be she is doing it so she can continue to stay in the US.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:39 AM
R66

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The difference is now the more recent immigrants do not want to be a part of America, they don't want to be a part of the "melting pot". I knew people in LA who had lived there more than 10 years but couldn't speak English. They made no effort to adapt to where they were living. No one is saying lose your culture, but if I moved to France and didn't make an effort to learn the language and adapt to the culture that would be frowned upon. The people that came to this country years ago did so because they held America in high regard and wanted a better life. You don't see that so much anymore. The one I mentioned from Germany constantly bad mouthed the US (yet she remained). The last I heard of her is she is getting married, which is interesting because she is a lesbian. My guess would be she is doing it so she can continue to stay in the US.
This user is 100% correct.

Over 500 years ago, my ancestors were maids and working stiff labor in Europe. They wanted a better life. The difference is my ancestors adapted the US lifestyle and learned English. They made their way from NYC to Virginia settling there and later in Tennessee.

Today's immigrants could care less about the US or English. They have no desire to honor our Constitution or even read the Amendments. They could care less who our last 7 Presidents were.

Example: Take a drive to Miami-Dade and open your eyes. What you see are 7 small sh*tty cars in the front yard of a small 1950s pink house with a tall 12 foot sloppy fence around the property. The house looks like sh*t and they could care less. I bet you not one Cuban in Hialeah speaks fluent English nor do they care to learn. Now I ask all of you here ... Where outside the USA can you find an area the size of Miami-Dade where 100% pure Americans can live, work and speak English and maintain our culture without being kidnapped, hassled, scammed, etc? The only places I know of are small Expat communities in Mexico and Costa Rica and those Americans living there, most abide by the local rules and respect the local culture and speak a decent level of Spanish.

The only Americans I know of that give Americans a bad name ( abroad ) are young black American men that frequent 3rd world Strip Clubs, Termas, etc. These are mostly young wealthy pro sport athletes of the NBA, NFL and MLB or Rap Artists.

I beg all of you ... The next time you see a filthy rich Persian, Isreali Jew or any Middle Easterner driving around in her $250,000 Bentley not speaking English and not dressing like the rest of us simple working Americans, go tell her off. Give her a piece of your mind … I call it "A Spirited Release of Select Words That Educate Our Newly Arrived." If you can get your Educational Attention Getter on video via your cell phone then PM me and I will forward you $100.00 USD no questions asked.

Thank you

Last edited by R66; 08-13-2010 at 02:01 AM..

Old 08-13-2010, 01:42 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
[Where outside the USA can you find an area the size of Miami-Dade where 100% pure Americans
Waterloo Belgium. There's an area called " little Texas" or something like that. And Texas of all god forsaken places.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:53 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Waterloo Belgium. There's an area called " little Texas" or something like that. And Texas of all god forsaken places.
MANY places in other English speaking countries, also.

As for continental Europe, there are a surprizing number of ex-Californians in the Spanish Basque Country, probably the largest concentration on the continent. I've read they're more into Basque nationalist causes than the locals are, mainly because they moved back to the land of their ancestors to live in a truly Basque land.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:12 AM
R66

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
MANY places in other English speaking countries, also.
Majoun -

I understand .... However show my an area the size of Miami-Dade or LA County outside the US.... Miami-Dade has about 3 million people. Where outside the US the size of Miami or LA could us Americans can live at peace speaking english and living within our culture, dressing, etc? The bottom line is it's a double standard. Immigrants can come to the US and say ' F*ck you Americans and your culture ' but we can't do it in their country and if we did we would be killed within days.

Today at Ralph's Supermarket in Canoga Park a young Italian woman ( she was lying, she is most likely Mexican ) was walking around in the parking lot pushing a baby carriage and had another in the oven ( she is pregnant ). She was begging for money. I told her to go back to Italy. Now imagine me, an American begging for money in Spain or Brazil? The Brazilians would laugh at me and see me as one less American in the world if I died of starvation tomorrow they could care less.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:42 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R66 View Post
Majoun -

I understand .... However show my an area the size of Miami-Dade or LA County outside the US.... Miami-Dade has about 3 million people. Where outside the US the size of Miami or LA could us Americans can live at peace speaking english and living within our culture, dressing, etc?
Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, large parts of Great Britain, etc. etc. etc.

Granted the cultural differences between the US and Canada (other than Quebec) or the US and the Antipodes are not that great. And while there are definitely cultural differences between the US and UK or the US and Ireland they're not as much as in a non-anglophone country, and none of the Americans I know in Britain have trouble there. Don't know anyone living in Ireland but from what I've read Americans who live there do OK as long as they don't cling to common misperceptions.

Quote:
The bottom line is it's a double standard. Immigrants can come to the US and say ' F*ck you Americans and your culture ' but we can't do it in their country and if we did we would be killed within days.
I don't know about being "killed within days" but unfortunately there are many "ugly Americans" (and the occasional "ugly Canadian") who express those attitudes overseas and DO suffer for those attitudes, unfortunately they give the rest of us a bad name sometimes. Obviously the risk of violence is greater in some places than others.

America does have some very serious problems with illegal immigration but that's another issue best dealt with in other forums.

In Southern California there's a problem that goes beyond merely illegal immigration, which is that it's pretty much lost its own culture except for small pockets. Even the "white American" concentrations are not Southern Californian. Given that fact, it's easy to see why immigrants would show contempt for regional traditions considering that the locals don't deem them worthy of respect themselves (with a few exceptions). If you take pride in your own traditions (and I'm NOT talking about confusing hate with pride), others will respect them more.

Quote:
Today at Ralph's Supermarket in Canoga Park a young Italian woman ( she was lying, she is most likely Mexican ) was walking around in the parking lot pushing a baby carriage and had another in the oven ( she is pregnant ). She was begging for money. I told her to go back to Italy.
I've seen homeless Germans begging for money in California! ( Neohippie or neopunk kids who are pursuing homelessness as a lifestyle of choice as opposed to the truly poor and needy) Never any Italian beggars yet.

Canoga Park, as you probably know, does have genuine "issues". So does most of the Valley that's within LA city limits, especially north of Burbank Blvd. And homelessness in LA (even in the rich hoods) is more of an issue than anywhere else in the US, even taking into consideration that homelessness in California as a whole is a bigger issue than elsewhere in the US.

Quote:
Now imagine me, an American begging for money in Spain or Brazil? The Brazilians would laugh at me and see me as one less American in the world if I died of starvation tomorrow they could care less.
Never been to Brazil, but most likely, yes.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:58 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Default state of CA

re: the original OP--would you agree with this 2009 report?

YouTube - Hard times fall on America's Golden State - 18 Oct 09

Old 08-13-2010, 08:21 AM

514 posts, read 686,769 times
Quote:
Miami-Dade has about 3 million people. Where outside the US the size of Miami or LA could us Americans can live at peace speaking english and living within our culture, dressing, etc?
I lived in Europe for two years, I and all my friends spoke english, dressed like Americans, listened to American rock and roll, I learned italian, but most of my friends didn't. No one troubled us, the opposite in fact.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:20 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,588 times
Quote:

I beg all of you ... The next time you see a filthy rich Persian, Isreali Jew or any Middle Easterner driving around in her $250,000 Bentley not speaking English and not dressing like the rest of us simple working Americans, go tell her off. Give her a piece of your mind … I call it "A Spirited Release of Select Words That Educate Our Newly Arrived." If you can get your Educational Attention Getter on video via your cell phone then PM me and I will forward you $100.00 USD no questions asked.

Thank you
I see this all the time, but not just Bentley, add in Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, Range Rover and Mercedes and etc. Most don't look like the types you referred to with traditional clothing on and you will see a lot of it in Palm Beach and Broward counties not just Dade. I see mainly young Americans with money and many who don't work or look like they work, t-shirts, shorts and flip flops in the middle of the day.

Quote:
Majoun -

I understand .... However show my an area the size of Miami-Dade or LA County outside the US.... Miami-Dade has about 3 million people. Where outside the US the size of Miami or LA could us Americans can live at peace speaking english and living within our culture, dressing, etc? The bottom line is it's a double standard. Immigrants can come to the US and say ' F*ck you Americans and your culture ' but we can't do it in their country and if we did we would be killed within days.
Figure the South Florida Metro area which is over 5 million total with Dade being another country with Broward already in motion to be taken over then moving north into Palm Beach.

If your talking about foreign speaking countries, try Germany most people speak English. Then again, why would an American want to go and not confirm or assimilate and demand "Univision", "Telemundo" and naming the Marlins "Los Marlins"? Well Deutsche Welle has an English version so we are just as guilty then. Walk into JC Penney sometime, they made a campaign to be bilingual and all signage, adverts blasted over the speakers are done in this fashion. The ball is rolling, no way anyone will stop it. To put it all into perspective is knowing my Italian ancestors didn't have this and did not feel "entitled", they learn to speak English and assimilated. Little Italy soon became Little something else, fill in the blanks. Only thing is the new Little "X" is not fading. Those days are over...but it's nothing new for countries to have more than one official language, Canada adopted French to appease Quebec.

Last edited by blauskies; 08-13-2010 at 09:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California