Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 02:57 PM

4 posts, read 7,924 times

Advertisements

Well as somebody on a short term project in California who considered staying but certainly will not, let me say the grass is greener in other places. When you say people are running from CA, well of course. It's overpriced, the economy is the worst of all 50 states minus Detroit, it's cutting core services and it's tax rates are among the highest. Something that might really get your attention- the next project I do is back east. And, heres the kicker, it will be on newer and more advanced technology than what the CA company i'm currently working on is. That's amazing to me but true.

So you pay more to be at the bottom. Pretty easy to figure that one out and hence all these states are seeing Californians bombard them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 04:01 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Default Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
I have a hard time believing this stuff, if it is found in America, if it is American, it is in California, good bad or indifferent.

The people who "leave" who "run" who think they are "starting over" aren't where ever they go, there they are, same as they always were.

It is not the place you are in it is you.
In two simple words, "You're wrong!" For the insular and provincial that may be true but I'm neither of those having lived in three foreign countries and eight states, some of them more than once.

It's not a matter of starting over. I just know what I like and California simply isn't it anymore. That's all!

One man's junk is another man's treasure.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:20 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,519,970 times
Quote:
It's not a matter of starting over. I just know what I like and California simply isn't it anymore. That's all!
Let me repeat, inspite of the slur;
Quote:
I have a hard time believing this stuff, if it is found in America, if it is American, it is in California, good bad or indifferent
As I stated, if you are an "urb" person, it makes no difference if you are in LA or Cleveland or any other urb, but, if you are a rurale, California ain't so bad, to whit;
Attached Thumbnails
What's Happened to California???-jeffsierramadre.jpg  

Last edited by Clarks; 10-25-2009 at 04:37 PM..

Old 10-25-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Let me repeat, inspite of the slur;
That was not a slur. That was a fact. Are you inferring that it's a slur if I choose to live elsewhere than you do?

This could be a slur: You're delusional!

Old 10-25-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
For the insular and provincial that may be true
Tell me this is not a slur

Old 10-25-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Tell me this is not a slur
OK! It's not a slur. It's a statement of fact. Many can be provincial and insular without being judgemental. They can even be extremely welcoming.

We now live in small town Americana and have been treated with acceptance and friendship. That we come from elsewhere has not been held against us; nor has the fact that we recently moved from whence we came.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:46 PM

There could be a cognitive difficulty on your part, if I state that anything in America can be found in California and your response is
Quote:
In two simple words, "You're wrong!" For the insular and provincial that may be true but I'm neither of those having lived in three foreign countries and eight states, some of them more than once.
You are stating quite clearly that I am A. wrong, B. insular C. provincial.

Small town America exists in the state of California, it exists from Yreka or Crescent city clear south to at least the Grapevine, it may exist in Socal, but that is not territory I visit..

Again, the point here, is, that where ever you are, you are who you are, to think that there are qualities in some other corner of the nation that do not exist in spades in California, is to state that one does not know this state, or likely the rest of the nation either.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:54 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
Humans are not the problem. Even as our population increases worldwide, standard of living continously increases worldwide.

Humans are the world's greatest "natural resource".
Thank you for saying this. It's almost always poor managment and poor economic policies that lead to the problems that people compain about. I do agree to an extent that there is such a thing as too much population growth in too short a period of time. But that's not really California's problem, either, as the population growth rate has slowed down considerably over the last 20 years.

As I've said in other posts, Japan is the same size as California and also has limited buildable land because it is also mountainous. Yet Japan has over 3X the population of California and it still has a decent standard of living. If Japan hadn't been stupid and bailed out its banks in the 1990s, its standard of living would be higher still. Too bad America is repeating Japan's mistakes.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:02 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
That's got to be the most preposterous denial of in-our-face reality I've ever seen! But as I've said before, conservatives tend to think in terms of hypothetical constructs and generally ignore on-the-ground outcomes that don't align with their dogma.
Uhhh, as if this is really unique to conservatives? To use just one example, you must have forgotten about those (90% liberal) college professors in their ivory towers.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 10-25-2009 at 06:12 PM..

Old 10-25-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
There could be a cognitive difficulty on your part, if I state that anything in America can be found in California and your response is You are stating quite clearly that I am A. wrong, B. insular C. provincial.

Small town America exists in the state of California, it exists from Yreka or Crescent city clear south to at least the Grapevine, it may exist in Socal, but that is not territory I visit..

Again, the point here, is, that where ever you are, you are who you are, to think that there are qualities in some other corner of the nation that do not exist in spades in California, is to state that one does not know this state, or likely the rest of the nation either.
Clark, you can be the great defender and apoligizer for CA all you want. It doesn't alter the fact that we can find, and did, much of what's available and what we'd wanted or missed in CA elsewhere without being lawed, regulated and taxed to death and without overcrowding, abysmal roads and traffic, sky-high crime, ridiculous political correctness, impossible governance, overly-inflated housing prices for mass-produced, cookie cutter homes in sterile "projects" with postage stamp lawns and back yards surrounded by strip malls, a much higher high cost of living, etc.

I spent most of my 63 years living in the state in towns and cities from San Diego, through the central valley and up to Sacramento, and travelled the rest extensively. Perhaps you missed the part where I said I've lived in eight states and three other countries -- that's lived, not just visited. I begin to think you've rarely been out of your hood.

Whatever! I'm done with you and this fruitless conversation. G-day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California