Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 12:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,003 times

Advertisements

I was looking for a little advice about my past LL. The company I rented from sent me an itemized list for deposit deductions, along with two good faith estimates of work to be completed. On the statement it shows that I will be returned $XXX.XX dollars for my deposit. The company sent the letter to 21 days after my move out (with no refund check enclosed).

The company did not return the remaining deposit on the 21st day and claims that they still have time to wait for the invoice on their estimate to be finalized. They said they will forward a check as soon as the contractor sends them the final invoice. Do they have to send the estimated check for my deposit return within the 21 day time frame, or just get a good faith estimate in my hands?

I want to know if they can only withhold the estimated charges, then send me an adjusted invoice within 14 more days, along with a check for my deposit. They have withheld my entire deposit up to this point, 32 days after moving.

Also I have lived in the unit for 3 years and they are charging me the full cost to repaint the garage, Does that charge have to be prorated? That is the final invoice we are waiting for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 01:14 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
No, they are in violation. Time to lawyer up.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:22 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Landlord/Tenant Book Index - California Department of Consumer Affairs

According to that, if you've been there 2+ years, paint is considered normal wear and tear and he cannot charge you for that. He also has to give you a written estimate AND the a check/money order for the remainder of your deposit by the 21 day mark. If not, he forfeits the entire deposit.

I'd send him a copy of the Tenant book with those sections highlighted and a letter demanding payment. Send it via certified letter.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:25 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Doubt it will go as far as appearing in court... you may have to file and serve the Landlord to get the deposit

Old 10-28-2009, 06:57 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
Landlords are pretty much scum in this regard and they know that many people don't even bother to sue. If you start the process to file a lawsuit in small claims they may quickly change their tune. Unfortunately for many going through the small claims process is just too inconvenient taking time off work etc. you could probably lose more than the deposit in question.

Usually I don't bother about couple hundred $, I just see it as a loss associated with vacating the place. I have always been "charged cleaning" fees even though my apt has been left spotless.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:29 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Landlords are pretty much scum in this regard and they know that many people don't even bother to sue. If you start the process to file a lawsuit in small claims they may quickly change their tune. Unfortunately for many going through the small claims process is just too inconvenient taking time off work etc. you could probably lose more than the deposit in question.

Usually I don't bother about couple hundred $, I just see it as a loss associated with vacating the place. I have always been "charged cleaning" fees even though my apt has been left spotless.
The cost to file is very nominal in my jurisdiction and the court offers evening court...

I tell my tenants that nothing would make me happier than refunding the deposit in full... most of the time my tenants get all of it returned...

One of the best things I've found is doing a pre-move inspection... lets everyone get on the same page while there is still time to do something...

Two things I don't negotiate on is unpaid rent and trash hauling... and I make this clear...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California