Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 06:10 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,498,909 times

Advertisements

I can see that, silly of me to throw pearls before,,,, a cuckoo bird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 03:15 PM

405 posts, read 1,339,617 times
Indeed... perhaps your boyfriend could return those pearls from the arse in which he yanked them?

Old 11-17-2009, 05:41 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,498,909 times

Old 11-19-2009, 02:49 PM

405 posts, read 1,339,617 times
Yep... I rest my case... and you bore me.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:24 PM

3 posts, read 12,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amye697 View Post
My family and I are moving to the Chico area. We have a child going into high school next year. Is the north east area of Chico better than other parts? What neighborhoods are not surround with college students? Is Paradise an option if you work in Chico? How long is that drive approx.? How does the Paradise high school compare to PV and Chico High? is there one there?

Is there a threat of wildfires in Paradise?

Thank you all!
Living in Chico for the past few years, I like the place. It's got most of the amenities of a big city (we've only got one movie theater, but we have one), but has a slower pace of life than you'll find in any big city. It's a nice balance. The east side of Chico is better than the west side of Chico... south and north are pretty much the same. If you're looking for a nice, family friendly neighborhood I would suggest moving anywhere on the east side of town. I'd draw that line along Cohasset/Mangrove/Pine/Cypress/Fairview (why the streets in this town change their names every few blocks is anybody's mystery). Most of the college students live on the west side of town. Bidwell Park (running from the aforementioned street way out into the hills east of town) is pretty phenomenal (especially once you get to know it) and I would highly suggest trying to find something near it. Well worth the slightly higher price. As far as schools go, PV is considered the best high school in the area.

Being a college town has its perks and drawbacks. There's usually quite a bit of family-friendly stuff going on, more than you'd find in an average city this size. On the same token, I'd avoid going into the neighborhoods right next to the campus on a major holiday as they tend to look like war zones. I'll also mention that bicycles are a pretty big thing around here... a lot of people (not just college students) ride them, and it's very easy to get around on one. The climate's good for it, the streets are very well designed for bicycles, and the city's fairly compact. If you don't cycle at all, I'd try it out when you move here.

Chico and Paradise are two totally different places. If you're wanting to live in a city that feels quite a bit bigger than it actually is, you're looking for Chico. If you're wanting to live in a small town that's bigger than it feels, Paradise might fit your cup of tea. The commute isn't horrific by big city standards, but it's awful by Chico standards... I can get anywhere in Chico on my bike in way less time than it takes to drive from Paradise to Chico. I would say that the commute is a major drawback if you're thinking about living in Paradise and commuting to Chico. As far as fires go, anything in the hills around here has major wildfire potential. This county has lost several hundred homes in the past couple years, most of those in and around Paradise. If you live there, expect to go through some evacuations and make sure you have fire insurance.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:09 PM

60 posts, read 269,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemond View Post
Living in Chico for the past few years, I like the place. It's got most of the amenities of a big city (we've only got one movie theater, but we have one), but has a slower pace of life than you'll find in any big city. It's a nice balance. The east side of Chico is better than the west side of Chico... south and north are pretty much the same. If you're looking for a nice, family friendly neighborhood I would suggest moving anywhere on the east side of town. I'd draw that line along Cohasset/Mangrove/Pine/Cypress/Fairview (why the streets in this town change their names every few blocks is anybody's mystery). Most of the college students live on the west side of town. Bidwell Park (running from the aforementioned street way out into the hills east of town) is pretty phenomenal (especially once you get to know it) and I would highly suggest trying to find something near it. Well worth the slightly higher price. As far as schools go, PV is considered the best high school in the area.

Being a college town has its perks and drawbacks. There's usually quite a bit of family-friendly stuff going on, more than you'd find in an average city this size. On the same token, I'd avoid going into the neighborhoods right next to the campus on a major holiday as they tend to look like war zones. I'll also mention that bicycles are a pretty big thing around here... a lot of people (not just college students) ride them, and it's very easy to get around on one. The climate's good for it, the streets are very well designed for bicycles, and the city's fairly compact. If you don't cycle at all, I'd try it out when you move here.

Chico and Paradise are two totally different places. If you're wanting to live in a city that feels quite a bit bigger than it actually is, you're looking for Chico. If you're wanting to live in a small town that's bigger than it feels, Paradise might fit your cup of tea. The commute isn't horrific by big city standards, but it's awful by Chico standards... I can get anywhere in Chico on my bike in way less time than it takes to drive from Paradise to Chico. I would say that the commute is a major drawback if you're thinking about living in Paradise and commuting to Chico. As far as fires go, anything in the hills around here has major wildfire potential. This county has lost several hundred homes in the past couple years, most of those in and around Paradise. If you live there, expect to go through some evacuations and make sure you have fire insurance.
Hey! You're forgetting about the Pagaent! :P Also, the one big movie cineplex we have has 14 enormous theaters

Old 01-02-2010, 06:11 PM

2 posts, read 13,848 times
Hopefully, I am not too late to answer this question... I live in Dayton a tiny town with NO stores or ANYTHING but it is only 5-7 minuete drive not bad. Durham is nice it has a tiny grocery store a little taco wagon. Restraunt gas station, coffee place. about 3 minuets away. It also has a school it is mostly better for younger kids and jr. high. I would not suggest it as a high school 'cause of snobs and judgemental people. Aim towards Chico High. P.V. is nice a lot of preps though. But it depends on your daughter or son is a more preppy or other style prefrence. Chico is a great town. Down town chico is were the colledge is. But not all of down town is colledge. I'm not sure but the streets are long so parts are in collage. Chapmon town is in Chico but it's called Chaptmon. It is the most geetoo part of Chico. Cheep houses and good location towards the mall part of Chico and downtown it is in the middle of locations. If I can suggest towards Hooker Oak there is nice houses for cheap and good neighbors. Hungtington Dr. is the best you can get CHEAP and the BEST!
Right by the mall. Aim towards the mall and you will be good. P.V is by the movies. And Chico High is downtown. Paradise they will be happy but paradise is a bad place to live in location is winter on getting to Chico. Chico does not snow but Paradise does. It is a mountin town. Good Luck I hope you got to read this in time. (: Have fun. Skyway has veryyyy nice houses and it is a road a LONG road on going to Paradise but the skyway part of chico has veryy nice houses. Here is CHICO, CA. houses in Century 21 realestate.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:54 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,698,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sms1967 View Post
Yep... I rest my case... and you bore me.
Sheesh...get a room you guys...

Old 01-02-2010, 11:58 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,698,820 times
I lived in Paradise and Chico about 13 years ago. I loved it. I started off in Paradise (who could resist that name?), and I enjoyed it. I also thought the drive down the Skyway to Chico was fabulous. I liked hitting the bars after work, so decided to live in Chico and walk home. All in all, I like Chico better. Bidwell Park is just wonderful, the town was fun and interesting without being pretentious, and the mountains were right out the back door. One of the best places I've ever lived. I am sure the prices bubbled up recently, but I suspect they will return to earth over the next few years.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:21 AM

7 posts, read 23,898 times
I have lived in Paradise for 5 years and Chico for 5 years and they do not come close to being similiar. If you are Conservative, Fundalmentalist, and pretty much don't like change then Paradise or Magalia is the place for you. It is beautiful there but really backward. It is like someone put the brakes on 1950.
I am a 65 year old woman that is more middle of the road (not right or left) but am still alive and thinking and changing with the world. I have a Masters Degree and like the mental stimulation of Chico people.
It is a fact that Paradise is racist and I would not want to raise my children in that environment.
I own a house right off Vallombrosa on the NE part of Chico and it has the lowest crime area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California