U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 03:16 AM

26,684 posts, read 26,351,780 times

Advertisements

In a survey of 1,500 registered voters, 80% say the state is on the wrong track. Respondents express little confidence in state politicians and candidates, even as support for Obama remains high.

California's best years have passed, voters say -- latimes.com

I say: Please leave! It'll mean more space and a lower cost of living for those of us who stay.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 03:50 AM

302 posts, read 797,573 times
I'm sure they'd like to.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:10 AM

2,015 posts, read 4,852,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Sacramento View Post
I'm sure they'd like to.
There's nothing preventing those who want to leave from leaving other than their own excuses. (Oh, yes, I hear the griping already as don't ya know, their problems are SO much more unique and different than anyone else's, no one's EVER suffered as much as they do so they couldn't possibly know what it's like, yada, yada, yada). If some people would spend more time planning and executing their "escape" from CA and less time griping, they'd actually be able to leave if that's what they truly want.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:17 AM

1,504 posts, read 5,695,385 times
80% think that the state is on the wrong track, but there's no consensus over what the right track looks like, and there's probably not a single change to be made that's favored by the majority.

Everyone agrees that state budget is dysfunctional, but, when polled about the one measure that hamstrings and disfigures the budget - the infamous prop 13 - the majority of voters believe that it should be left in place.

Conservatives think that the state is too liberal and it spends too much. Liberals think that conservatives have too much control in Sacramento and therefore the state does not spend enough (especially on K-12). Whites think that the border is too porous. Mexicans think that whites are too unfriendly to them.

End result is, everyone is unhappy.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:40 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,033,718 times
The problem is all inside your head", she said to me
The answer is easy if you take it logically
I'd like to help you in your struggle to be free
There must be fifty ways to leave your state

She said it's really not my habit to intrude
Furthermore, I hope my meaning won't be lost or misconstrued
But I'll repeat myself, at the risk of being crude
There must be fifty ways to leave your state
Fifty ways to leave your state

You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
drive off in your car screw
get out of the zoo
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Old 11-08-2009, 09:45 AM

61,305 posts, read 79,727,446 times
re the OP & CA best years, marie antoinette did not embrace change

Old 11-08-2009, 10:36 AM

34,155 posts, read 58,929,902 times
Our level of dissatisfaction varies regionally.

In fact the latest poll that I found(admittedly a year or 2 ago) by the Public Policy Institute found the SF Bay Area to be the only region in the entire state where a majority of respondents had a positive view of California.

70% to be exact. That was the percentage of Bay Area residents who stated that they were happy being in California. Everywhere else in the state was well below 50%.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:58 AM

10,635 posts, read 7,373,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
There's nothing preventing those who want to leave from leaving other than their own excuses. (Oh, yes, I hear the griping already as don't ya know, their problems are SO much more unique and different than anyone else's, no one's EVER suffered as much as they do so they couldn't possibly know what it's like, yada, yada, yada). If some people would spend more time planning and executing their "escape" from CA and less time griping, they'd actually be able to leave if that's what they truly want.
I hope there's a reason for this post other than to inflame and start an argument, but I doubt it.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:47 PM

302 posts, read 797,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I hope there's a reason for this post other than to inflame and start an argument, but I doubt it.
Probably not; it's not very well thought out. Just ignore it and move on.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:25 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,033,718 times
Quote:
Donna, I like your style, Screw Sacramento complains about Sacramento, but tain't leaving
Escape California complains about California, but tain't leaving.

There be more out there I betcha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California