Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 07:54 PM

4 posts, read 9,410 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody. I've been fortunate enough to have had two job offers in the current economy, and I'm debating whether Long Beach, CA or Charlottesville, VA is better for me. Currently, I live in Boston, and lived in San Francisco and San Diego. Although LB/LA is between SF and SD, I've only driven through, and I've never visited the Mid-Atlantic region. I'd love to hear your opinions about LB or Cville. Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 08:06 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
One vote for Long Beach. I visited Charlottesville just over a year ago and would not consider it. YMMV.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:09 PM

222 posts, read 231,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flora2 View Post
Hi everybody. I've been fortunate enough to have had two job offers in the current economy, and I'm debating whether Long Beach, CA or Charlottesville, VA is better for me. Currently, I live in Boston, and lived in San Francisco and San Diego. Although LB/LA is between SF and SD, I've only driven through, and I've never visited the Mid-Atlantic region. I'd love to hear your opinions about LB or Cville. Thanks a bunch!
I know lots about the east coast. Think of Long Beach as Chelsea Ma. with a beach that makes Revere Beach look like the Italian Riviera. Think of the oil tanks in Chelsea to the tength power, plus refineries, plus pollution. Think of a Ghetto with a few good parts. Then ask somebody who lives in SC.

I like LB. But then again I'm a masochist.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,536 times
flora,
Just read post, sorry to have missed out on this one. I grew up in SF Bay area, moved to LB after highschool in'74, got married, had kids and moved out in '90 to raise them in a cleaner and less hostile environment and we were an upper middle class family at that time living in what was considered the "best and safest" part of LB, by LBSU. Moved to Chesapeake, VA and although it was a major culture shock it was a good decision and, when I do go back to visit it looks so dirty to me compared to what I've gotten use to.
Let me know what your status is at this time and if I should go on, and on, and on........

Old 02-16-2010, 02:11 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
It depends. Do you like getting knifed or shot at? If so, choose LBC.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:37 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastRefugee2 View Post
I know lots about the east coast. Think of Long Beach as Chelsea Ma. with a beach that makes Revere Beach look like the Italian Riviera. Think of the oil tanks in Chelsea to the tength power, plus refineries, plus pollution. Think of a Ghetto with a few good parts. Then ask somebody who lives in SC.

I like LB. But then again I'm a masochist.
well,I am also originally from boston,and have family in VA,friend who went to school in c-ville,etc.
[i live in SD,and have lived in CA for 13 yrs total].

OP does not have to live in long beach-he could commute...
ideas on areas to commute from?
It does put him right in so cal,which if this was a desire for him,it could be a good starting place,to get him to CA [or her,i should say.]

Charlottesville,on the other hand-wow-what a world away,literally. Do you like the south? b/c people will argue that VA is not quite the south,but i assure you,outside of the beltway/no. va.,it most certainly is. c-ville of course has that great,amenable college town vibe,is small,a bit crunchy organic [by va. standards],etc. you will appreciate that and the politeness of the area,and the overall vibe of a prestigious old college town...coming from boston.

long beach-i love that description about revere beach looking like the riviera in comparison-that post was perfect!~true.

LB is industrial port city/military. It is very hard to compare,and you will simply have to go on 1)which job you prefer,and/or 2)which lifestyle you want,and your long-term goals thereof.

sorry,i could not pick for you.
If it were me,and i really wanted to move to CA,i would consider it to 'get in the door',and commute to LB but not live there. Otherwise,I'd probably go with c-ville= easier move.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:24 PM

74 posts, read 217,359 times
I love Long Beach! ~Belmont shore

Old 02-21-2010, 04:09 AM

215 posts, read 474,729 times
Long Beach is a city of 500,000 in 50 square miles. Its a big city, and has many different neighborhoods, some nice, and some not so nice like any big American city. The ignorance on these forums never cease to amaze me. But I guess I shouldn't be shocked, as this is the internet and many delusional people like to hide behind that shield. It just seems like some have been listening to too much Snoop Dogg and get out of the house more.

Also Long Beach hasn't have a military present for many years, that is some very old news. It's has a huge port, but the city caters a lot to tourist, and holds a lot of conventions. The beaches aren't much to talk about since there is a breakwater due to the port, and supposedly to keep the shore from floods, and erosion. So the oceanfront looks more like Lake Michigan around Chicago with a big body of water with no waves.

Still the ocean front is beautiful to look at, with a lot of very nice high rise condos with great views. There are also a number of mansion's along Ocean Avenue with views of the beach as well with nothing blocking them since there is Bluff Park in front of them.

Then there are beautiful and dense walkable neighborhoods such as Belmont Shores, Naples, Belmont Heights, and more suburban inland areas such as California Heights, and Bixby Knolls (jewish enclave). Los Altos is another nice hood, and the areas around the Traffic Circle tool. Pretty much any area in the eastern part of the city is decent.

I can't say what Charlottesville is like, but I can tell you Long Beach has some pretty decent and beautiful neighborhoods.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:44 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Fan View Post
Long Beach is a city of 500,000 in 50 square miles. Its a big city, and has many different neighborhoods, some nice, and some not so nice like any big American city. The ignorance on these forums never cease to amaze me. But I guess I shouldn't be shocked, as this is the internet and many delusional people like to hide behind that shield.
Well, as for me, I did get knifed and shot at while I lived there, so I guess I'm a little jaded, if not ignorant. But I also met my wife at CSULB and had fun canoeing with her around little Venice so it wasn't all bad. I still recommend Charlotte, or just about any other US city, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California