Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 01:17 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,385,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
How about Corpus Christi? I like the beaches on Padre Island. Texas is a lot less dysfunctual than California and a cheaper place to live.
Texas is cheaper than California, that is for sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 01:41 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,790 times
The comparisons with Texas are apt. To me, living in Stockton means you are paying California prices and taxes for a Texas lifestyle. Why not live in the actual Texas and save a fortune?

Old 11-23-2009, 02:29 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,246,614 times
No, Stockton is not as bad as anywhere in Texas (well some parts of Austin are okay).

Old 11-23-2009, 04:56 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,385,773 times
I'd live in Stockton before any place in Texas! ugh!

Old 11-23-2009, 05:11 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,236,883 times
Quote:
Well let's see - Texas has no state income tax, 8.3% unemployment compared with 12.5% in California, housing costs are lower in Texas than in California and Texas has overall a generally lower cost of living than California. If that's idiocy and ignorance, where do I sign up?
Move there then lol. Good luck with that humidity and being able to drive to San Fransisco and Monterey within hours, oh, I meant Houston and Dallas.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:29 AM

405 posts, read 1,345,579 times
Well, let's see... Texas. Flat, no trees, cold, humid, rain so hard the houses have to be built with bricks, most of it nowhere near the ocean and no mountains. California is in trouble, no doubt, but I could easily make an argument it's no better than California. Places are cheaper for a reason, even in California, so I wouldn't hang my hat on that.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:12 AM

331 posts, read 498,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sms1967 View Post
Well, let's see... Texas. Flat, no trees, cold, humid, rain so hard the houses have to be built with bricks, most of it nowhere near the ocean and no mountains. California is in trouble, no doubt, but I could easily make an argument it's no better than California. Places are cheaper for a reason, even in California, so I wouldn't hang my hat on that.
Exactly WHERE in Texas have you been? Obviously, you've never been around El Paso and Far West Texas, because then you would know that all of Texas isn't flat. You've never been to East Texas (Sabine NF area), because otherwise you would know that Texas does, in fact, have "trees" acceptable to people from back east. Obviously, you haven't been in West Texas, where it does rain, but it's not humid about 90% of the year. And, sure, it does rain, unlike in the Central Valley and the Southland. At least I don't hear of people moving to smoggy Houston and developing asthma, unlike people who live in Fresno, Bakersfield, and Sacramento. Don't get me wrong, I really like California (I have family in Visalia). Just setting the record straight.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:04 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,721,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Move there then lol. Good luck with that humidity and being able to drive to San Fransisco and Monterey within hours, oh, I meant Houston and Dallas.
At least I won't have the state government telling me what kind of TV set I can buy.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:27 PM

656 posts, read 1,355,614 times
Quote:
At least I won't have the state government telling me what kind of TV set I can buy.
Haha that is true. California is a beautiful state, but I'll take Texas politics any day over those crazies controlling Cali the past years. Just look at Texas during this recession, they are doing pretty good.

However, CA definitely has the best natural beauty and geography probably in the country.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:59 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,236,883 times
Quote:
LMAO, don't get me started on that, so if the goverment has regulations on fuel emissions it's ok, but then you complain over regulations on power useage for tvs? You guys look for any reason to complain, yea California's economy sucks right now, guess what, it sucks everywhere. California has had a few rough years, but i wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the United States.

I hear Austin is great, my friend lives there, but i also hear that's about all that's great about Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California