Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 03:33 PM

3 posts, read 12,550 times

Advertisements

To All;
I am a retired
mailman alone and single and living in Pennsylvania. Bucks County to be exact. Used to be all farmland until Pa. tax them to death and they had to sellout to builders. Now it's mostly these mini-mansons with tiny trees and a 1950 road system. It sorta really sucks now. For some reason northern Cal has stuck in my head. The area of Mt.Shasta/Shasta/Weed sounds really nice but,questions abound. Health-due to an accident I've been a chronic pain patient for 19 years. What's the Medical sitution in that area like. Also I am a 100% disabled Vietnam Veteran. Any veterans out there that can fill me in on that area? I own a house now but would be intrested in renting an apartment or something in a private home. I'm sort of a private guy and don't really like complexes or the condo thing that much. I haven't found all too much on home pricing anyway. The name is Michael and if you want, I would appreciate any advice. Thnks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 08:33 PM

106 posts, read 581,251 times
Default Yes, a hospital in Mt. Shasta City

To Mr. Mike--the previous posts should give you a start on most of your questions--Mt. Shasta City has the hospital for the Weed-Mt. Shasta-Dunsmuir trio of towns near each other. I would call it a full-fledged hospital that probably offers most anything you'd need (it did 25 years ago!) but the medical industry is wacko right now, so you'd have to check that out.

While there are apartment complexes in Mt. Shasta City, chances are you'll be able to rent a house or some sort of separate domicile. Don't know the latest real estate rental and housing costs, but housing should be of modest cost, at least by California standards. I'm presuming you are at least "land-rich", living in Bucks County. You might be able to even buy a small, decent house in that area and still keep the home in PA.

I'm guessing an internet search will give you clues on current real estate market--also, the Mt. Shasta Herald is the local paper, might be worth obtaining a recent issue or two to get an overview of current real estate.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:40 AM

Hi Pairie Guy,
Thanks for the idea about the Mt. Shasta Herold, they have a web site with lots of info. What I'm looking for is an apartment in a home not a home. I do have disabilities and taking care of my house is getting harder all the time. Also I want somewhere I can smell fresh air again and see some beautiful open space again without the continous bumper to bumper traffic, and hopefully some nice people. It has changed so much here I hardly like to call it home anymore. And there gotta be some Veterans out there that just would like to talk with a brother, Yo how about a holler?
The area sounds pretty nice, I can't travel right now but would like to visit in the future. What are the winters like???
mr.mike.222

Old 07-31-2008, 12:37 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
The winters can be as bad as Pennsylvania for shorter periods, so that a blizzard would be followed by a complete melt within a few day. Low temps aren't as low as Penn (I lived in Luzerne County for the tail end of the last winter), rarely lower than 20f. You could say that there's a wet season and a dry season, not really 4 seasons, so summers are long, hot, and dry.

Prices of real estate and rentals are quite low by California standards, but much higher than PA.

I think there's a veterans bar on Main St, or maybe it's just a bar that lots of veterans hang out at.

Pine St is close to the hospital, to Main St, and to shopping, so that might be a good place to start looking for an apartment. However it's right next to the train tracks, and the trains blows its whistle very very loudly at all hours.

There are also some rentals closer to the one road that goes up the mountain, if you have a car, and those would have more peace and quiet and piney woods.

You could fly into Sacramento Airport and rent a car, drive a couple hundred miles, settle into one of the many hotels or motels for a few days.

There's another small town in California that I know of with a strong veterans organization (Veterans For Peace), that's Arcata. It's in the redwood area of Northern California along the coast .... it's wetter than most places, but has no significant snow. Major shopping and medical care are found in Eureka about 8 miles to the south. It's best if you were once a hippy if you want to feel comfortable in Arcata.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:19 PM

106 posts, read 581,251 times
Thanks to woof for the excellent summary regardig the weather and the details on MSC rental housing! Good luck Mr. Mike and I second that maybe Arcata is worth a look--with a larger population, the area's hospital should be able to offer even more services, I'd imagine.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:51 PM

Yo Woof, sorry for the laspe in time. my computer crashed. ever hear of "the blue screen of death"? I never did until last week when it happened to me. What a mess, big time! Cost a bundle to get straighten out too.. Anyway thanks for writing. I have the "Google Earth" on the computer now and can get a pretty good look at the areas you mentioned. I see that Eureka looks kinda flat and pretty unintresting while Arcata has a special look to it I like Lots of trees and quite. As for the "Hippy"days, I did grow up in the 60's with the longest hair in my high school graduation class and although I spent 67&68 in Vietnam I returned to the hippy life upon my return with a 13" pony tail and a special place in my heart for free love. Boy, those were the days!!
Yes I must leave this part of the country, I am no longer happy here. The people, the area, the traffic, the shopping center on top of shopping center, it has changed way too much for me.people here just don't care about one another anymore. when I got hurt I laid along side a busy road and the cars passed me like I was put out for the trash even in my mailman uniform. I've been alone without family or friends for18 years and need some real people in my life, I hate being so lonely. Not a bunch I'll settle for one.
Woof and Prairie I certinly appreciate your writting me and telling me about what these places have to offer. Now I need to move on it and get my but out there to see what it's like for myself and hopefully after Oct 6 I have the freedom to do just that. Again guys , thanks so much!!!
mr.mike.222

Old 08-26-2009, 02:54 PM

3 posts, read 10,718 times
I just bought a house in Mt. Shasta area. Who is the supplier for a kerosene oil heater system? I believe it uses kerosene or stove oil, what is the difference? I also read that biodiesels could be mixed with kerosene? Any info would help tremendously. Thanks!

Old 03-13-2010, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,167 times
Anybody seen Christine Walters? She has been missing for a long time, and had been up that way (Arcata area).

Old 04-01-2010, 02:02 AM

3 posts, read 15,797 times
Default It's a city, not an herb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENZBOY15 View Post
I think SoCal has pretty good weed, but I think you will be better off in NorCal weed wise. It's good quality here in San Diego, but on the expensive side. 8th for $50.
I would just like you to know that Weed is a town. Weed, Ca... I do not believe that the person that started this topic was talking about where to buy the best weed. I believe that they were referring to the city. It is located in Siskiyou County and has a population of under 3000 people, but it is at the base of a beautiful volcano which is located in the city Mount Shasta. Just to verify things.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:21 PM

286 posts, read 677,873 times
Mr.Mike222,
If you are still around,I too am a chronic pain sufferer and all that goes with it.Damp climates make chronic pain worse...I hope in your case,the exception was the rule.
I am alone with my German Shepherd and due to so many botched back surgeries,I enjoy only my son's company...he is my life.
So many times I have wanted to stay in Arizona all year long,but it is costly.
Wish you peace of mind if you do receive this mail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California