Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is California overpopulated?
Yes, California has far too many people 111 56.06%
California is fine 60 30.30%
No, California needs more people 15 7.58%
California needs population control, like China 12 6.06%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 04:35 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,839,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Of course you do...after all you think this is the world according to Nullgeo.

You bet I did.
Of course I do.
And I am correct as always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 04:44 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,400,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Not necessarily. Stockton is specifically a low income, community with little industry. Why or how in the world should Stockton represent California in general? All the more populated states back east have cities like this. Again, maybe its just something that they are used to.

Anyways:

Stockton:

The median income for a household in the city was $35,453, and the median income for a family was $40,434. Males had a median income of $35,181 versus $26,602 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,405. 23.9% of the population and 18.9% of families were below the poverty line. 32.8% of those under the age of 18 and 11.9% of those 65 and older were living below the poverty line.

According to the City's 2009 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report,[24] the top employers in the city are:
# Employer # of Employees
1 San Joaquin County 5,938
2 Stockton Unified School District 4,000
3 St. Joseph’s Medical Center 2,230
4 OG Packing 2,001
5 California Division of Juvenile Justice 1,492
6 Diamond Foods 1,467
7 City of Stockton 1,425
8 Dameron Hospital 1,200
9 North California Youth Center 1,000
10 University of the Pacific 966

Bankruptcy has more to do with Stockton being poor and not having any REAL industry to speak of. Schools, government, and hospitals that just serve residents is not industry. Some food processing is basically all that, that would have money coming into Stockton.

I don't believe I said that Stockton represents all of CA.

Cities filing for bankruptcy has more to do with spending more than you bring in. There are plenty of small non- industrious cities all over this state and in the US that are not filing for bankruptcy.

The policies that are ruining CA are some of the same exact policies that caused Stockton to file for bankruptcy. That is what I said.

Stockton (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau This source has far different numbers than what you posted.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:45 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Of course I do.
And I am correct as always.
This is exactly why you can't learn anything new. You're stuck in 1st gear for life

Old 07-18-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
This is exactly why you can't learn anything new. You're stuck in 1st gear for life
Of course, there isn't really anything actually "new" in the universe ...
time is a relative experience and, in fact, does not exist in the nullgeodesic (nullgeodesic as defined by Minkowski) ... hence, partly, my screen name.

1st gear is an interesting concept. It can climb the steepest of mountains that other gears cannot.

In any case, there wasn't anything "new" to learn in any of your posts, by any definition.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Of course, there isn't really anything actually "new" in the universe ...
Certainly not in your Universe

Old 07-18-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Certainly not in your Universe
Nor Hermann Minkowski's ... or Einstein's

Old 07-18-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Nor Hermann Minkowski's ... or Einstein's
They knew nothing about "your" Universe. I am certain that they would not be the least interested either

Old 07-21-2012, 09:55 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,627,860 times
A couple of notes regarding over population in CA:
49% of California, by law is uninhabited.
CA is 163,695 sq. mi.
half of that is about 81,000 sq. mi. which puts it in between Nebraska and Kansas in terms of where people can live.

CA has almost 38,000,000 people whereas Kansas has less that 10% of that population, Nebraska, roughly 5% of that population.

This is a huge problem and responsible for most of what people complain about California.

Fortunately most of the population is centered in SoCal and the Bay area.

If we draw a line from Santa Rosa to Lincoln to Truckee, roughly 30 miles north of I80, from there to the Oregon border is approximately the size of Ohio with a population of, maybe a half million, this area can be referred to as Ecotopia based on the novel.
Ohio has a population of 11,600,000-+

So California is both over populated and not over populated.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:51 AM

30,855 posts, read 36,750,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I don't understand. You NEVER hear East Coasters asking the same question, even though there are a lot more people in the northeast corridor and crammed into even tighter spaces.

I have a theory on this.

Since, people originally moved to California for the nature and outdoor lifestyle, they have different expectations and priorities and may remember it when there were fewer people?

Whereas on the east coast, its been heavily populated for a long time, and the major attraction is more of the "urban lifestyle?"

And fruits, vegetables, and heating oil/gas/etc. is shipped from MUCH further away than where Californians get their water, but no one talks about New England exceeding its carrying capacity.
Good points.

I think the other issue is that high density living is done very badly in most parts of the U.S. Even our best mass transit systems are not that good compared to what they have in modern European and Asian cities. Much high density housing is cheaply built, with lousy soundproofing....And most apartments, condos and townhouses in the U.S. are plunked down in the middle of suburban areas where you still have to own a car, still have to drive most places, public transit is still inconvenient, and yet you don't have enough parking spaces for friends to come over. Unfortunately, most Americans view this model of high density living as the only possibility. They assume that high quality urban living is an oxymoron because they've never seen it done well. Or, alternatively, the minute you mention "high density" housing, they start talking about 50 floor high rises or Manhattan level densities (as if there are no options between low density suburban sprawl and Manhattan or San Francisco type densities ).

All that said, I find it extremely annoying how people out in the western half of the U.S. complain about overcrowding. It sounds like so much whining to me. I grew up in an East Coast suburb and I can't ever remember people complaining about crowdedness/overpopulation like people in Arizona and California do (the two states I've lived in since moving away from home).

I would really like to send these whiners to take a look at any East Coast or Midwestern city that has experienced population decline for the last 50 years (and there are many) if they think population decline is so darn wonderful.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:05 AM

2,420 posts, read 3,828,626 times
I'm getting out of this over-rated, garbage state so there will be one less person for those that are left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California