Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 10:48 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times

Advertisements

OH and the Floods - I forgot about that!

Yes Sacramento lately has been having issue with their levees and flooding - but Midtown (and east Sac and Land Park) don't really have the issue - it's mostly the new developments (houses) over in Natomas who are located on a flood plain. WHich incidenatlly also used to be rice frields about 10 years ago.

The City has put a lot of money and effort into reinforcing the levees, but Midtown was never a problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 01:39 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,180 times
Thank you SO much for all the great info. It sounds absolutely fantastic. I'm sure, like all cities across America, that it has its good places and bad places...but from what you've told me, Sacramento sounds like a place I definitely want to check out. Who would have thought I might someday move to California! I'm so tired of Ohio, and the thought of living out west is refreshing to me. I hear people talk about the crime and traffic, but with all the people that seem to be moving out there, and staying there, it must offer something good. And I need to go someplace new.

One more quick question.....what's the weather like there? I mean, I'm sure it gets hot in the summer, and I'm fairly confident there isn't any snow in the winter (I assume). But more importantly, what is the humidity like? It can get oppressively sticky here in the summer, and I'm really wanting to get away from that.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:47 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
THe humidity question on these message boards crack me up! Seems everyone in the US wants to know about the humidity in Calif

There is NO HUMIDITY - especially in Sacramento - it's very dry.

Sacramento is in the bottom of a valley which is also "desert-like"

The winters are extremely mild - not even that much rain truly. (use the city data website it's true to form) It gets cold enough one or two nights a year to produce a slush snow of half and inch - although this year was the coldest it's been in a while

The Spring starts early - and the fall starts late. Spring can usually start in the 60s in February

I've noticed that by memorial day weekend it can (on and off) be up over 100 degrees until October. WHICH I LOVE! AHHH the heat! Every one has AC so it's totally fine and there's no humidity so it's not like you can't breathe

BUT AUgust is DAMN HOT - it can easily have a week of 115 degrees - the state fair happens at the end of August when it's literally the hottest of the year (WHO PLANNED THAT?!!) And I have gone to the Fair and the soles of my shoes have melted!

It can get hot for numerous months to where I have a scar on my thigh from a seat belt buckle branding me - cuz the cars sit in the sun all day long.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:56 PM

325 posts, read 1,472,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Thank you SO much for all the great info. It sounds absolutely fantastic. I'm sure, like all cities across America, that it has its good places and bad places...but from what you've told me, Sacramento sounds like a place I definitely want to check out. Who would have thought I might someday move to California! I'm so tired of Ohio, and the thought of living out west is refreshing to me. I hear people talk about the crime and traffic, but with all the people that seem to be moving out there, and staying there, it must offer something good. And I need to go someplace new.

One more quick question.....what's the weather like there? I mean, I'm sure it gets hot in the summer, and I'm fairly confident there isn't any snow in the winter (I assume). But more importantly, what is the humidity like? It can get oppressively sticky here in the summer, and I'm really wanting to get away from that.
I'm from the Midwest and think Sacramento's great. It's not a big happenin' city, but there's an urban center in Midtown. It's location simply cannot be beat. There are so many places you can drive to for either a day, a weekend, or a week's vacation and they all vary so much.

It's the most affordable urban area in California that has a robust job climate. Housing is more expensive than the Midwest, but property taxes aren't as high as most of the places I was used to, so that can make up some of the difference.

If you like heat, the climate's great. But you do have to like heat, otherwise you will complain from June-Sept. Summer is hot, but it is not humid at all, it cools down every night, and it's sunny every weekend. Fall is beautiful. The weather's nice and there are a zillion trees in Sacramento so the fall color is spectacular. Winter is grey and wet, but no snow to mention and instead of bright, clear 35-degree days as highlights, you have bright, clear 60-degree days. Spring is early. I've had my veggie garden in for six weeks.

It's worth a look-see.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:19 PM

800 posts, read 4,297,041 times
How far is Sacramento from the beach (ocean)? How cold is the water? Do I need to wear a 5 mils to surf? LOL

Old 05-16-2007, 03:33 PM

23 posts, read 145,843 times
Depending on the beach, Sacramento is around 2 1/2 hours from places like Santa Cruz (good surfing...think Mavericks, http://www.mavsurfer.com) but also about 2 hours from skiing (Northstar at Tahoe, Sugar Bowl, Kirkwood, etc.). I surf in Monterey and wear a 4/3mil wetsuit with hood and booties. Keeps me warm enough without all the bulk of a 5mil. Sacramento is a great central location, but as stated before can get a little warm in the summer months.

Oh and lets not forget the main pluses and minuses for a move from OH to CA:

PRO: In-N-Out Burger (http://www.in-n-out.com), local grown produce

MINUS: No Skyline (http://www.skylinechili.com) or OSU parties

Old 05-16-2007, 04:21 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
One last comment on the heat of summer. Sacramento has an incredible number of large trees, by far the most I have seen in California. The canopy over the streets in Midtown and Arden Arcade is much like the midwest. The shade cools the air tremendously, and provides relief from the heat (it provides more of a temperature difference than shade in the humid midwest or east).

Old 05-16-2007, 05:12 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,180 times
You guys have been so great with all the info, and I really appreciate it. I've definitely moved a lot of steps closer toward making the decision about where I want to move, and Sacramento is now right up there at the top of my list.

Never heard of In-and-Out Burger....I'll have to give it a try. Looking at the website, the concept reminds me of Rally's. And regarding Skyline Chili, you know what? I'll just have to get my mom to pack up some cans and ship it to me. Although I have to admit, I don't really eat there all that often. I don't know, maybe we take it for granted back here, because like anything else you can get tired of it after a while - but that can also be a good thing, because when you finally DO have it again, it tastes great and you forget how much you really liked the stuff. (I'll also have to find a good recipe for goetta, so I can whip some up on my own.)

As far as the weather is concerned, I started my whole quest with this main weather goal in mind: No more bitter cold winters, and no more stifling humidity. And since the heat doesn't bother me at all, Sacramento sounds fantastic to me. My environmental goal was to simply be someplace with mountains nearby, as well as lakes and other bodies of water. I also wanted some palm trees around, as well as trees to provide color in the fall. I likewise wanted to be somewhere new that would inspire me and refresh me - someplace that I could simply feel at home for a great number of years to come, and it looks like Sacramento offers all that. I'm very glad I started this thread - your input has been invaluable to me.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:57 PM

800 posts, read 4,297,041 times
Monterey,
Thanks No Mavericks for me...hee hee! I've seen "Riding Giants"

Other notes...NorCal. looks beautiful from pics I've seen...Going to Sonoma next month, but of course, I think all of CA is gorgeous

Thanks for the info. on Sacramento though...interesting stuff to know

Hugz,
L

Old 05-17-2007, 05:10 PM

325 posts, read 1,472,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
As far as the weather is concerned, I started my whole quest with this main weather goal in mind: No more bitter cold winters, and no more stifling humidity. And since the heat doesn't bother me at all, Sacramento sounds fantastic to me. My environmental goal was to simply be someplace with mountains nearby, as well as lakes and other bodies of water. I also wanted some palm trees around, as well as trees to provide color in the fall. I likewise wanted to be somewhere new that would inspire me and refresh me - someplace that I could simply feel at home for a great number of years to come, and it looks like Sacramento offers all that. I'm very glad I started this thread - your input has been invaluable to me.
Sacramento does offer all that. Come out in July/August, see if you like the heat, and plan 10 days to drive all over dodge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California