Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 01:06 AM

2,180 posts, read 5,421,662 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm kinda looking for more than just personal opinions here, but I understand that each person is different and has different reasons for what they like/dislike and believe. Nevertheless, please try to answer this question based on as much fact as possible.

Based on natural beauty, low crime, and abundant diverse job opportunities, what is the best place to live in California for the least amount of money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 11:09 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,701,853 times
I was born in Santa Monica, grew up in Los Angeles (by Marina Del Rey) moved to Lake Arrowhead for highschool - then moved up north to Sacramento for college and lived there ten years before I moved to Seattle

I never realized how much I loved Sacramento and how it "fit" me. We are hoping to move back in 5 years.

I loved the heat and the community - I lived Midtown not in the suburbs, and I can't even express how much it was a part of my personality.

I never noticed crime, but I was single - I know being married with kids I have new priorities but OH how I wish it could be in Midtown again (schools suck there)

www.midtowngrid.com

Old 05-15-2007, 11:24 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
O
Based on natural beauty, low crime, and abundant diverse job opportunities, what is the best place to live in California for the least amount of money?
Sacramento maybe... and it's not even all that cheap. California's job opportunities are concentrated in it's major cities - that's part of what makes them so expensive.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:39 PM

Wow, what a cool site, CityGirl72. I looked at it, and saved it in my bookmarks to explore later. Thanks!

So Sacramento isn't all that cheap, but is it generally cheaper than other major cities in the state? What's a ballpark range for how much rent I'd have to pay for a decent, but humble apartment? ....let's say a studio/efficiency, since that's all I would really require.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:11 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Default Midtown Sacramento Rent

A studio or one bedroom apartment in midtown Sacramento should rent for a range of $700-$1,000, depending on building and condition.

It is a great area, very pretty with a lot of personality. Stores on many corners, and very little in the way of chain stores. Major shopping at Downtown Plaza or Arden Fair Mall areas less than 10 minutes away. Downtown is developing, and isn't bad for walking, eating and shopping. Quaint small area downtown called Old Sacramento:

http://www.oldsacramento.com/

Also an hour and a half from San Francisco or Lake Tahoe, two hours from Reno, about three hours from Monterey, Carmel and Yosemite.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:44 PM

NOT TRUE - I was on craigslist and my old apartment building where I had my studio apartment, had an availablity last month - and rent was $595!

Wood floors, walk in closet, tiles bathroom with built in shelves and dressers tot he walls - it was so quaint and so nice...clean area too AND ALL UTILITIES PAID FOR YOU! (except phone or internet)

In midtown at 22nd & I

Try craigslist - you can even find them for cheaper (but maybe not as cute!

Old 05-16-2007, 09:55 AM

Sorry for the delay in my response. Had a thunderstorm last night that knocked out the power.

So anyway.....after reading your replies, I admit I'm really becoming interested in Sacramento. It looks like a great place with a lot of culture. Seems like a great place to explore. Is it decently walkable? How is it for parks, hiking and bike riding? I've noticed on Google Earth that it is at quite a low elevation. Does it flood easily?

I also looked up the neighborhood where that apartment was, and it looks nice enough. Is it safe, I presume? What kind of unique shops and eateries are in Sacramento?

And palm trees grow up in that part of CA, huh? That's cool. Definitely a plus, because I love palms.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:24 AM

All those answers depends on where you live and whee you work when you are in Sacramento - Sacramento and it's surrounding communities are far and wide - it is a car commuting town

BUT if you live in Midtown, everything is walking distance (I used to ride my bike everywhere) Midtown is where all the great and electic resturants are - it's where you can find progressive Co-Op grocery stores and farmers markets - OR just a Safeway! It's where all the Art walks (weekly) are - it's where the "Friday Night concerts in the Park" happen all summer

Midtown had all the kitchy Boutiques, OR you can ride down about 10 blocks into Downtown and go to the Mall - or ride a bit father into Old Sacramento, where all the musuems (and some durn tasty resturants) are!

Most Govt jobs will be Midtown/Downtown, but I never had one around there. I did have a car and I ususally commuted to whatever job I had. But because you live in Midtown it's reverse commute cuz everyone is trying to get INTO work - instead of like me - out.

There is a 32 mile bike trail along the rive called The American River Bike Trail (starts at FOlsom Lake goes to Discovery Park) I've made the whole ride - but since I lived in Midtown, I liked biking over to the Univeristy and catching the trail there - I think it's about 15 miles then

The best park I like in the area was Mckinley park (huge park BETWEEN Midtown and East Sac) Large duck pond and lots of running room - great safe location too

THe Chalk It Up art weekend (loved it every year) happens at a small park at P & 19th (I think, it's been a while since I lived there) and it's really been cleaned up lately and it's so nice and the stores, shops and resturants are all new

Old 05-16-2007, 10:32 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Citygirl, I was basing my answer on the apartments available in midtown in the ForRent magazine distributed at local supermarkets. As you stated, Craigslist may have some less expensive in buildings privately owned, or duplexes, or smaller complexes. However, my kids in LA used Craigslist to find apartments and often found that the owners had little additions they failed to mention, like an additional $100 per month for an outdoor parking space.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:45 AM

The absolute best way to find an apartment is not with the ForRent magazine - since those are usually 1) most of the newer complexes and out of the City proper and 2) way more expensive

The Kitchy places are usually locally owned - and rented out Craftsman homes

The best way in Midtown is to just drive around, most of the good places never make any classifieds - and definately not in ForRent.

I've never been told to pay for parking either - BUT you are correct most parking in Midtown is street parking. When you find your place of residence you go downtown to the parking office and they give you a TAG to place on your car to park in that specific area (Like I lived in the K area) so you won't get a ticket. The Tags are free. I never had a problem with it in 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California