Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 03:17 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,781,772 times

Advertisements

The only other place I have lived that I have enjoyed as much as California is Tokyo, Japan. And even if I could afford to live in Japan fulltime I would need to also be able to spend long stretches in California or I would feel as if I was missing out.

Neither place is perfect to be sure and both are egregiously subject to earthquakes (Tokyo more so than California). But I will take that over hurricanes and tornadoes that occur every year in parts of the U.S.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:20 AM

375 posts, read 1,725,571 times
I lived in Texas for 7 years, before moving to CA. There are some beautiful green places. Not all of Texas is HOT and DRY. Try the east side. I like the smaller towns not far away from Dallas and Houston.

One of my son's classmates just sold their beautiful home here and will leaving for Texas on Monday. They bought a home on a lake there. Their kids will be going to private school.

I am one of the Californians that is looking else where. We will be selling our business in the next couple of months. We will be remodeling our home and putting it on the market next spring. We have done well here with 2 other homes in this area. Thank god we dabbled in real-estate before the market went down. We will be looking at some homes in Oregon this summer.

We have been looking at Wisc, Oregon, Texas and Florida. I've pretty much have taken Florida off of my list. Not crazy about the schools.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:27 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,101,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADRMNDANES View Post
I lived in Texas for 7 years, before moving to CA. There are some beautiful green places. Not all of Texas is HOT and DRY. Try the east side. I like the smaller towns not far away from Dallas and Houston.

One of my son's classmates just sold their beautiful home here and will leaving for Texas on Monday. They bought a home on a lake there. Their kids will be going to private school.
LOL, I would never call Texas "HOT and DRY". I would call it "HOT and HUMID".

I also bought a home on a lake here in Texas. I think you are missing the meaning of "greener pastures". But by all means, move to where your heart desires. Everyone is different and wants different things. Not everyplace is for everyone. Believe me!!!!!

Old 05-25-2007, 10:33 AM

375 posts, read 1,725,571 times
I know what is meant by the term "Greener pastures". DUH!

Someone else mentioned that it was DRY and BROWN. That is what I was responding too.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:54 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,101,365 times
I used the term brown but I never said dry, now way, no how. Humid all the way . Brown was used to describe our beautiful winter here, NOT . Around October, everything dies or turns dormant. The grass turns brown or I might say it turns to "straw". The trees loose all their leaves and are baron. (All of which are really pretty) . This is because of the freezes that we have in the winter. (The ice storms are a blast).

Last edited by Roma; 05-25-2007 at 11:02 AM..

Old 09-17-2007, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,117 times
I'm planning on leaving California for the first time in my life to be with my grand kids in Fort Collins, CO. Anyone know anything about living there? I have visited the area in August of this year and last year and like what I see but haven't been there in the dead of winter yet. Is it hard to live int he snow if you were raised in Southern Calif? I was raised inThousand Oaks, then moved to Santa Barbara and consider that to be my home but of course, the high cost of living, traffic, and lack of good jobs forced me to move to Northern Calif, Chico area. It is WAY TOO HOT here!
Please give me feedback on FC, Colorado.
Thanks, RockNRobyn

Old 09-17-2007, 07:23 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNRobyn View Post
I'm planning on leaving California for the first time in my life to be with my grand kids in Fort Collins, CO. Anyone know anything about living there? I have visited the area in August of this year and last year and like what I see but haven't been there in the dead of winter yet. Is it hard to live int he snow if you were raised in Southern Calif? I was raised inThousand Oaks, then moved to Santa Barbara and consider that to be my home but of course, the high cost of living, traffic, and lack of good jobs forced me to move to Northern Calif, Chico area. It is WAY TOO HOT here!
Please give me feedback on FC, Colorado.
Thanks, RockNRobyn
I lived in Thousand Oaks and I went to UCSB. FC is colder and very sunny in winter. Can be windy in spring. You can do most outdoor activities (bike riding, tennis, jogging, golf) most days of the week. Maybe 20 days a year it is just too cold to do anything outside at all. Winter temperatures are in the high forties. Think Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear. Since it is very sunny and very dry it doesn't feel as cold. Last February I was on my deck in shorts and no shirt and it was 53F and I was dripping in sweat - no kidding. As long as it is sunny and not windy, you are OK in a sweatshirt and long pants. Snow storms are about as frequent as rainstorms in California, maybe two or three good ones per year - last year was really bad though. Most snow falls in the spring and melts very fast, like within two days.
I now live near Monument, CO between Colorado Springs and Denver. I love it. Four not harsh seasons. I live at 7300 ft so I don't need A/C.

Be prepared to decompress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California