Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2009, 01:36 PM

22 posts, read 33,216 times

Advertisements

Hi - I have a potential job opportunity in Westlake Village.

I currently live in San Diego. I took the Pacific Surfliner train to Santa Barbara this weekend. SB is a great little town and a beautiful place.

I drove to WV, TO, Simi Valley from SB last weekend. The area seems like kind of a drag for a young professional.

Therefore, if I was to work in WV then I would need to live in SB.

I Google Mapped WV to SB and the distance is about 55 miles with about a 55 minute travel time.

I just wanted to see - is this an accurate reflection of the commute time between these 2 cities? Traffic did seem pretty light up there. If my commute time would be around an hour then I could make this work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 01:42 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
That's a long way, one way even with no traffic. But there will be traffic, especially since you would be heading east, along with everyone else in the morning, with the sun in your eyes slowing you down on the freeway. Sam in the afternoon, into the sun. Maybe 1:15 is more realistic.

How about Ventura? It might be a little more interesting for someone single.
Still, there are some single things in the Conejo Valley and you aren't too far from Ventura and SB for weekend stuff. Even west LA, Santa Monica are doable for fun on weekends.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:59 PM

405 posts, read 1,345,782 times
There are a ton of younger celebrities living in Westlake Village, etc. How the hell can it be a drag? I would think SB would be full of old money and little social scene for someone 20 to 30-years old. Plus, WV has Calabasas, Camarillo and other neat communities right there.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:18 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Santa Barbara is mostly old people and college kids. Not many young professionals there as there are no jobs. If you are willing to commute between SB and WV you might as well just live in LA.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:34 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Live in Studio City or West LA. Commutes from such places to WLV would not be worse than from SB. And living locations would be way more interesting than SB.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:50 PM

233 posts, read 744,070 times
Trust me you do not want to live in Santa Barbara as a young professional. Better to move to west L.A.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:14 PM

22 posts, read 33,216 times
I have lived on Melrose and La Cienega in LA and in Marina del Rey on the beach in LA.

LA is OVERCROWDED and the people aren't very much fun IMO. Not their fault - It takes them 1.5 hours just to go eat at McDonald's because of traffic. Their rent is $2K for an apartment that would rent for $750 anywhere else in the country. etc etc.

city-data says that the median age in Santa Barbara is 34. I'll be 34 in May. Santa Barbara has a nice community feel unlike LA!

I drove through WV. Seems to be kind of like Newport Beach but without the beach, restaurants or fashion valley. So what's left? Boredom. Maybe you can provide info to the contrary.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:07 PM

5,741 posts, read 4,697,306 times
I wouldn't recommend you live in SB as a young single person. You'll get bored pretty quick. Yes there are bars on State St, but you'll get tired of drunk college kids every weekend. There aren't many young professionals in SB for two reasons - lack of jobs and cost of living. Have you checked out the cot to rent a decent place yet in SB? Hold on to your wallet.

Calabasas is a very cool and hip city close to WV, and close to LA too for all that stuff. I'd live in Calabasas.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 8,333 times
Westlake Village is where the movers and shakers of Hollywood have been moving to for the past ten years. It is so much cooler than Santa Barbara and leaves West LA in the dust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California