Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 12:38 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,934 times

Advertisements

Actually it can get cold I guess, I said not COLD, because we don't have the severe weather. But I can't tell how many times someone from back east or the mid west complains how cold it is here. I'm thinking "WHAT!!!", it doesn't freeze, snow, no blizzards. But the say the cold is different. They say they can feel the cold in their bones here. It's fuuny. It's hard for me to imagine someone from Iowa thinking coastal CA is cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 01:04 PM

5,741 posts, read 4,699,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3KrazyDogs View Post
Shopping is no concern of mine. I do most of that on the web these days. I want my children to be able to play outside, walk home from school, and stay clear of gangs and drugs. We have never lived in an area where I had to even condider these types of things. I checked the school on base but it seems that it doesn't even have good reports. Why aren't any of these schools passing test? What activities do they have for the children after school and on the weekends?
You want to know why? Because 80% of the kids in each class don't speak english, and must be catered to by bi-lingual aids. This greatly lowers the amount of learning the "other" kids do, and unfortunately the education as a whole is sub-par. That's why the test scores are so low.

If living near VAFB is a must, then the Orcutt school district is the only decent nearby option.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:17 AM

Six arrested on weapons, witness-intimidation charges

I said Pioneer Valley is a new school in a newer area. This is why you don't want to live in Santa Maria.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:23 PM

67 posts, read 324,812 times
I never had any problems with language in the schools..Although,I did not go to school there until High school .Why is everyone afraid of hispanics on this board?I never had a problem with anyone in that town,my biggest concern(as a teen) was boredom.I would not raise a family there because there are not enough cultural things to do.If I were single or retired It could be an option if I wanted to drive to the "fun".

Old 01-02-2010, 01:32 PM

463 posts, read 1,292,455 times
Hi...just some info from a family that moved here in Feb.

We chose Orcutt for the schools...they have the best test scores and ratings in the area.

I use to live in the area when I was younger and it hasn't changed too much.

Not to offend anyone from Lompoc...but we personally found the area kind of gross.

And as for people saying you better speak spanish to live in Sm....I don't really agree with that, but we wouldn't live there because of the schools. The SM schools usually have a Great Schools rating of about 2. Orcutts are rated anywhere from a 7-9, out of a possible 10.

If you have anymore questions about the area from someone who recently moved to the area, just ask.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:18 AM

11 posts, read 47,409 times
Does anyone have information on Crestview and Vandenburg Middle on base? If we live in SM can they be bused to base?

Old 01-04-2010, 09:16 PM

463 posts, read 1,292,455 times
I'm not sure...but I can try and check for you. I work on base. I would really look into Orcutt if I were you. Its really nice. The schools are still better than Vandenbergs.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:58 PM

130 posts, read 524,593 times
after reading your posts and concerns, its pretty much a no brainer of where to live, its orcutt or bust, simple as that.

you can pretty much choose any elementary, jr. high, or highschool in orcutt, and your kids will get a good education, have plenty of friends, and be safe walking/riding bike to and from school.

since you mentioned activities for your kids to do, i would suggest have them pick up a sport? the level of sports in orcutt for youth baseball and softball is among the best in the state (no kidding). football is so...soo, not sure how the soccer/water polo/golf teams are doing these days, since i have moved out of the area?

one fact i would like to mention about driving from vafb to orcutt, after leaving the main gate at vafb, you can pretty much set your cruise control at 65mph all the way to first intersections in orcutt (clark ave exit or the foster intersection). sounds funny to mention this, but its so nice to work in vafb and live in orcutt and get off the highway in the first exit or two. i use to know ppl who lived in the north end of town, they tell me it sucks, cause of all the stops and go's (remember its the first light coming from vafb and..... if its rush hour, the traffic will back up at the light and u most likely have to waite there for one maybe two green lights before you can make it through but....had u lived in the first exit or two, you would be just pulling into your driveway rather than sitting at the FIRST traffic light. orcutt/santa maria traffic lights are notorious for hearding the cars like cattle from light to light (at times it could take 30 minutes to get from orcutt to santa maria going up broadway/highway 135).

pick orcutt, my $.02

Old 01-07-2010, 07:04 PM

Town Hall To Focus On Fighting Gangs In Santa Maria | KEYT.com - News, Weather, Sports for Santa Barbara, Santa Maria, San Luis Obispo, Ventura, Oxnard | Local

Another reason not to live there. Anyone know what a gang injunction is? never heard of that.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:06 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,060 times
About 100,000 people now live in Santa Maria, about 59,000 are hispanic, which still leaves a town of 40,000 white (and asian) folk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California