Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2009, 08:39 PM

132 posts, read 370,236 times

Advertisements

I don't think the California accent is an accent so much as an affectation. That could be interchangeable, but I think the Cali sound is often a bi-product of a particular attitude, rather than a more natural development, such as a Brooklynese or Southern accent.

Btw, I'm a native Hoosier, but don't sound like a Southerner. Have been known to say 'dang' though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 07:26 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight View Post
Btw, I'm a native Hoosier, but don't sound like Southerner.
Why would you? Last time I checked Indiana was pretty far North.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:03 PM

132 posts, read 370,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Why would you? Last time I checked Indiana was pretty far North.
It is, but some people from other places have the impression that everyone from middle America speak with a "country" twang. I grew up in a high rise apartment in the city, but I get the 'did you grow up on a farm' question a lot. I kinda wish I had, would have been nice.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:04 PM

771 posts, read 1,581,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
While on topic, why do Californian's always say midwesterners have a "southern draw"? I never thought of myself as having a southern draw but apparently I do by CA standards. Still don't get....as usual
I hear the same crap as a native Iowan that lived in Virginia for 7 years and Mississippi for almost 8...

Old 12-26-2009, 12:43 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyKid View Post
How would you describe the California accent to someone? differences between a NorCal and SoCal accent. not in terms of vocabulary such as the excessive use of the words "like" and "dude", but more in terms of pronunciation.
Here is an intersting wikipedia article on the subject:

California English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-27-2009, 09:07 AM

7 posts, read 15,411 times
omg,forsure ,totally, rad ,dude

Old 12-29-2009, 11:17 AM

45 posts, read 149,061 times
Not sure about CA accents, but I have noticed a few expressions (or idioms) that seem far more common in Southern California.

Namely, the use of "anyways" instead of "anyway".

Also, utterances of "those ones" or "these ones" rather than "those" or "these".

Hey, these are not nearly as bad as "yous guys", which I used to hear in Illinois. <cringe>

Last edited by sdmike19874; 12-29-2009 at 11:26 AM..

Old 12-29-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmike19874 View Post
Also, utterances of "those ones" or "these ones" rather than "those" or "these".
Never heard those ones before.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:28 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,583,147 times
The thing that makes me crazy is the "question mark" talking. When someone native to SoCal tells me a story, it is not uncommon for them to put a question mark at the end of every phrase...like this:

Them: So, I was working in the PTA room?
Me: Uh huh..
Them: And then Karen walks (notice present tense also) in?
Me: Uh huh...
Them: And that box of bandanas?
Them: It was sitting right on the table?
Me: Uh huh....
Them: The one I had asked Amy to take it home with her?

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! Those are not questions!!!! If you are making a statement, please do not raise your voice every time you need to take a breath!

Whew, okay, I'm all better now

Old 12-30-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweej View Post
The thing that makes me crazy is the "question mark" talking. When someone native to SoCal tells me a story, it is not uncommon for them to put a question mark at the end of every phrase...like this:

Them: So, I was working in the PTA room?
Me: Uh huh..
Them: And then Karen walks (notice present tense also) in?
Them: And that box of bandanas?
Them: It was sitting right on the table?
Me: Uh huh....
Them: The one I had asked Amy to take it home with her?

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! Those are not questions!!!! If you are making a statement, please do not raise your voice every time you need to take a breath!

Whew, okay, I'm all better now
I don't think that's a CA thing as I've heard it on the East Coast as well. Not meant as a sexist statement but it's almost always women who do it. Someone told me once it was due to insecurity. The person is not really confident and is subconsciously looking for affirmation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California