Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2009, 04:19 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,582,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I don't think that's a CA thing as I've heard it on the East Coast as well. Not meant as a sexist statement but it's almost always women who do it. Someone told me once it was due to insecurity. The person is not really confident and is subconsciously looking for affirmation.
Perhaps I've just met more insecure women here than I ever knew in Texas or Michigan, then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 12:20 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
I'm a native San Franciscan, who's lived in SF nearly all my life...i've been told that i have a "east coast" accent by a few people, as have some of my SF native friends, (I was raised by a SF native father, and an east coast native mother..Maryland to be exact), i've also been told i have a "NYC accent"...i'm guessing those who accused me of this have never been to NYC, but i can see how the pronunciation of some words by some SF and Bay Area natives might confuse other people...particularly on pronunciation of such words as "dark," "park," "start" etc...basically short words with an "A" followed by a consonant get pronounced as if there's also an "o" next to the "a" ...as in "park" can sound a bit more like "poark" sometimes. From research i've done, this is likely influence left over from the midwestern and mid-atlantic transplants that heavily populated the Bay Area in the 1800's through the mid 1900's.

At the same time, i sometimes catch my self pronouncing things with a bit of a "drawl" that's reminiscent of southern accents, i guess that's the midwest twang/drawl BayAreaHillbilly is talking about, where vowels sometimes get drawn out. Basically as far as the urban centers of the Bay Area (and possibly Nor Cal as a whole) it's a pidgin "accent" that mostly sounds like standard American English, of the type that newscasters speak, but upon closer listening has hints of southern, Midwestern and eastern speech patterns/inflections/pronunciations, etc. in there too (i could swear that SF natives tend to speak fast/mumble/string words together a bit more than normal too). To make things even more confusing, some of my best friends growing up were 2nd generation Salvadorans and Mexicans, and therefore some of my speech patterns and pronunciation will occasionally sound like "cholo speak" for lack of a better term.
With the bolded part, I agree. I still get accused of this all the time. People in SD tell me that I ramble and need to breathe more when I speak but for me it's natural. Run-on sentences are usually only noticeable when one writes. Only in the Bay Area can you hear it when one is speaking lol.

I've been having these discussions with my girlfriend recently. She's from LA and comments on my "slight accent" all the time. It started when we were talking about Mountain Dew for some reason. She made a remark on how I say it as "MOUNtain dew" not "mountain DEW" as she says it. She also noticed that I do not pronounce caught and cot the same way. She also remarks on how she can hear the short 'o' sound when I say everybody. I don't say everybuddy like most people around here do. She also is amused at the way I say gull. With her that vowels sounds more like the vowel in pull.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:43 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I don't think that's a CA thing as I've heard it on the East Coast as well.
Canadians do that as well.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:46 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Canadians do that as well?

Old 12-31-2009, 01:48 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
There must be an echo in here?

Old 12-31-2009, 03:24 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight View Post
I don't think the California accent is an accent so much as an affectation. That could be interchangeable, but I think the Cali sound is often a bi-product of a particular attitude, rather than a more natural development, such as a Brooklynese or Southern accent.
Affectation?

My Orange County, Okie, Beach Cities, San Berdu, sounds like Kevin Costner, Hobie surf board, clay-wheel skateboard, E-Ticket accent is an "affectation"?

Wow! Makes me kind of proud!

Old 12-31-2009, 09:05 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Affectation?

My Orange County, Okie, Beach Cities, San Berdu, sounds like Kevin Costner, Hobie surf board, clay-wheel skateboard, E-Ticket accent is an "affectation"
You sound my age. Anyone much younger is "going" (another CA affectation) huh?

Old 01-01-2010, 03:12 PM

6 posts, read 19,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyKid View Post
How would you describe the California accent to someone? differences between a NorCal and SoCal accent. not in terms of vocabulary such as the excessive use of the words "like" and "dude", but more in terms of pronunciation.
Here is an intersting wikipedia article on the subject:

California English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
wiki to the rescue!

Old 01-01-2010, 06:20 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
Quote:
Some Northern Californians refer to Sacramento, the state capital, as "Sac", "Sacto", "Sactown", "Sacra" (by the Chicano community), and various other nicknames.
And here I was calling it "Excremento" all this time.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:12 AM

106 posts, read 336,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
LOL! I've honestly never heard anybody use "hella", except for Gwen Steffani in her song called "Hella Good".

"Hella" is quite common in NorCal and peaks somewhere in the Sonoma Valley! lol! It's not uncommon for someone to say "YO BRA, THAT WAS HELLA NICE DUDE" when refering to something that they really like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California