Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 07:20 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
While on topic, why do Californian's always say midwesterners have a "southern draw"? I never thought of myself as having a southern draw but apparently I do by CA standards. Still don't get....as usual

I don't say that. I can tell the difference between WI, IL, MI and MN accents. For MI, I can even tell if they're a Yooper or not. I guess I have a good ear for **** like that.

By the way, it's "drawl".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 09:13 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
That might be why.
I was born in Texas and spent four years at a midwestern university so I should say "most" of my life in So CA. I can pick up a Minnesota accent, though.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:18 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
What accent? Southern Californians don't have one. That's why the rest of the country takes speech therapy to sound like we do if they want to get into the TV or movie biz.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:51 AM

725 posts, read 3,014,410 times
My roommate and I have had this conversation a couple times. Moving from L.A. to Chicago, I would get a good chuckle hearing everyone's aaaaccent here (however, I've only been here for almost 2 years but I do catch myself saying things like 'I'll be right baaack'! =X )

Anyway. I asked my roommate (who is from FL) if he could describe to me what a Californian accent is like... you know, aside from things like saying "dude".

I(/we) don't think there's really a distinguishing way to describe or mimic Californian accents (besides making fun of valley girl/surfer lingo). The only thing that we kind of agreed on was that L.A. in particular has a laid-back ("bored") tone in speech. (Think: The Kardashians/The Hills)... I've had my fair share of friends and classmates who exemplify this as well, but it's just my thoughts...

Old 12-16-2009, 09:56 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
What accent? Southern Californians don't have one. That's why the rest of the country takes speech therapy to sound like we do if they want to get into the TV or movie biz.
Actually, you are wrong. There is definitely an accent that SoCal locals have, which seems to be more apparent for those who grew up near the coast. Many of the native born locals I knew while living in San Diego had it. It is hard to explain and does not stand out like many strong accents found in other parts of the country, but I know it when I hear it. I guess you could say that the vowels are kind of drawn out. As far as NorCal goes I can't really say for certain, but I never really noticed one on trips there.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:57 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
While on topic, why do Californian's always say midwesterners have a "southern draw"? I never thought of myself as having a southern draw but apparently I do by CA standards. Still don't get....as usual
I think you mean "Southern Drawl" or "Drawl" - not draw.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Actually, you are wrong. There is definitely an accent that SoCal locals have, which seems to be more apparent for those who grew up near the coast. Many of the native born locals I knew while living in San Diego had it. It is hard to explain and does not stand out like many strong accents found in other parts of the country, but I know it when I hear it. I guess you could say that the vowels are kind of drawn out. As far as NorCal goes I can't really say for certain, but I never really noticed one on trips there.
I can't tell the difference. My husband is originally from NorCal and his family are all up there. I am from SoCal and my family all live here. We go to Norcal several times a year, and I've never noticed that people in NorCal have a different "accent" than we have here in SoCal. In fact, I've even heard the same 'patois' in NorCal as I've heard in SoCal.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
In fact, I've even heard the same 'patois' in NorCal as I've heard in SoCal.
Except for "hella". That's a North thang.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Except for "hella". That's a North thang.
LOL! I've honestly never heard anybody use "hella", except for Gwen Steffani in her song called "Hella Good".

Old 12-16-2009, 10:23 AM

I have. One of my kids went to San Jose State, and most of the guys on his ball team were from up there. They said hella, he started saying hella, I'd get annoyed... bla bla the usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California