Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 08:28 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times

Advertisements

UCSC is one of the top weed-smoking universities in the whole country. I think 5th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 08:59 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
I think people often confuse homeless people with gangsters and thugs, but even though there are huge numbers of homeless in Santa Cruz they're mainly well-behaved. They get free food, shelter if desired, and free hot showers, so they're reasonably content.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:39 PM

4 posts, read 59,698 times
I have lived in Santa Cruz County since 1978. From Watsonville, to Capitola, SC, Aptos, Felton. Covered it all. Currently downtown SC. I've Seen this county go thru many changes. Some not for the better imho. Aptos has a much better 'feel' than SC. As does Capitola. The whole county is expensive.

Downtown SC is crowded. cars, bikes, pedestrians. IF you plan on walking it works fine.
Biking downtown, if you run a stop sign, or are on the wrong side of the road even for one second, you get a $150.00 ticket. and if you let your parking meter run out, you WILL get a ticket within a couple minutes if not seconds. They are ruthless. Also alot of bikers are Everywhere and do not follow the rules of the road. there are too many of everything and not following rules. imho many are just plain rude. You have to drive or ride your bikes very defensively or you WILL get hit.

I'd opt for Aptos tho that wasn't on your list. Santa Cruz county has a pretty good transit system, tho pricey. 1.50 every time you get on. or transfer.

There are Many UCSC college students in SC downtown. And alot of alternate lifestyles.
One end of the major downtown area, Pacific Avenue, where the transit station is, is pretty unsafe, feels dirty, and at night, for sure not safe. when the bars close, there is violence and gang related activity. getting worse on a yearly basis.

Traffic is BAD on all of the major thru streets.

The climate is GREAT. The redwoods rock! It's a nice place to visit.
Monterey is more spread out. I would say that Monterey has LESS crime and violence, and I feel safer when I visit there. Go to the boardwalk WITH your kids. gangs are there now.

Many of the rentals are old and pricey. and higher than Monterey I believe.

SC county has great stores for grocery shopping, major stores like Safeways', and the good ones like Staff of Life, and several other Organic (Real food) stores, if that's what you prefer.

I would go for Monterey, there is a really nice indoor health club and swimming pool, for all ages. clean, big, friendly.

The Westside of SC is the BEST. imho.

Traffic at commute times is BAD on the freeway. It takes 1 hour or more to get 17 miles from SC to Watsonville at 3-6 in the eves.

hope this helps you decide. go for Monterey. not Marina or Seaside, parts of Watsonville are okay. and a little cheaper than SC. There IS a gang problem in Watsonville. Especially in certain areas. stay OUT of South Watsonville. stay more towards Freedom which is North Watsonville and next to APTOS. good luck.

lexiecat in SC

Last edited by lexiecat; 11-06-2007 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: needed to add something

Old 11-06-2007, 11:50 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Wow. I had no idea such a small city could have that bad problems. It can't be anything like LA though right?

Old 11-07-2007, 12:03 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
It's not that bad, Jesse. They're exaggerating and confusing scary-looking homeless people with thugs and gangs.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:56 AM

222 posts, read 862,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi View Post
We are in the process of planning a move to Monterey but one of my two kids is pushing for Santa Cruz.
One other viable option that you could look into would be Carmel Valley. My parents were the resident managers of the Carmel Valley Inn (became the bloody ex$pen$ive Bernardus Lodge) during early-60s to mid-70s.

The weather in Carmel Valley is absolutely superb compared to Carmel and Monterey. Haven't visited Carmel Valley for close to a decade now so am not well versed with the rental market there although cost of housing is insane.

My oldest sister lived in Pacific Grove, and that's another town well worth checking out.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:12 PM

2 posts, read 29,675 times
Mexican gangs have moved into Santa Cruz and the city government will admit the fact. The city has huge gang problems!!!

Old 02-05-2009, 11:14 PM

2 posts, read 29,675 times
Shootings , stabbings and rape the New Santa Cruz!!

Old 02-05-2009, 11:19 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,679,510 times
Dont listen to the hype..its safe just stay on your toes.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:22 PM

841 posts, read 2,260,501 times
please don't listen to this idiots. When shootings/stabings occur they aimed at opposing gang members. Your more likely to get struck by lighting and they waking up finding a chinese bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California