U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2007, 01:39 PM

74 posts, read 700,433 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are buying a house from a distance. We live in Monterey and are moving to San Diego. We went down there, met a Realtor that we liked, and now she is currently working with us to find a house.

So far, she has set us up with a sub-standard program to look at listings and answered our direct questions. Other than that there has been no contact, no house suggestions to look at, and no notes or responses to the houses we have added to our list. We are going down there to buy a house in two weeks and I am concerned that she may not be able to perform the way we need her to.

Is this normal for long distance shopping, where the Realtor doesn't do much until you come down?

(oh yeah, important note: we are first time buyers so this whole process is new to us)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 05:11 PM

15,607 posts, read 39,373,811 times
No. She should be lining up homes for you to look at once you get to San Diego.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:40 AM

642 posts, read 2,972,110 times
A few questions came up when I read your post. You said a substandard program can you give us some examples. What would be your expectation other than what she gave you there? Second has she hooked you up with MLS emails (usually daily or weekly that come to you from a database) that show new listings or listings that have shifted in price? If so, maybe she is waiting for your response here. If not, I would have to question whether this Real Estate agent is up to snuff on how agents are working with long distance or even just local clients these days. I'd probably dump her on that alone. It sounds as though something similar to this might be the substandard system and she is not answering you questions you post on the site she links you to. (I had this happen with a long distant real estate agent as well in Texas a few years back and it infuriated me.) I drew the conclusion she never even looked at my responses and I think this is what is wrong with that site set up. They give it to you, link you up and don't give it a second look, but we think they ARE reading them and looking at our responses and questions on them! I will never understand this sort of unprofessionalism. My new one just sends me the up-to-date email listings instead. If I have questions I email.

Do you have a visit lined up with her yet? Have you made it clear when you will be visiting? If not she may be awaiting for you to take the lead here. I say this as I have a long distant agent and basically found out they shined when I emailed this person, told them our visit date, and asked them about how many houses we could look at in this time frame and where. He emailed back with clear direction, time frames and recommendations. I made a list of MLS homes based on the emails that came to me and sent them to the agent and asked that the agent exclude or add a few based on their recommendations. They were fantastic when we showed up. Laid the foundation for the day, discussed route and homes, went over any questions. They of course prepare all the information for the homes for each of you to consult as you are looking. By the way, the Texas real estate agent (the one that too did not answer my questions on the site link to homes as I assume you also have) was a nice lady, but still very negative and not overall inspiring or motivating when we looked at homes. She gave us info., yes but I felt dissatisfied as she never really helped me with problem solving my needs and overall did not provide solutions. So I guess this present inattentiveness now with your agent may be an overall sign to pay attention to. In the end this worked for us I guess because we didn't end up moving to Texas and now I am grateful, with my impending move up the coast in California. Had we had the right agent, I might be closing this with ya'll :-).

Far away, with my present agent--not the Texas one--, it was somewhat low client relations though with the exceptions of the MLS listings in the email as well as basic answers to my questions (which I asked rarely, but in bulk, as, to be honest I wasn't quite sure intially how serious we were. I was clear about this with the agent upfront.) Sometimes they are also aware that you may not eventually move here, so sometimes they can be a little low on the energy side until you really start looking at houses. The face to face time was efficient, helpful and very professional. If you get ANYTHING OTHER THAN THIS professionalism and efficiency, dump, dump, dump. Real estate is not a people pleasing venture on the client's side as you know.

If you take the ball and outline everything clearly (expectations, needs, timing of a visit, expectations of what you want to accomplish in that visit) you may see her spring into action, if you do not, run.

I dumped our first real estate agent when we were trying to move from another town (San Diego in fact . She was horrible and completely self centered and not looking out for our needs (can you say Barbie got money from a divorce and kept driving by her mansion in the Palisades bragging about it and then drove us to a refrigerator crack house telling us how we can get nothing but this for our money and then back by her manse to point it out again and yet again!! LOL. If it didn't pis- me off so much at the time it would have been hilarious. I swear she was also hitting on my husband!!!! ) Needless to say I was very depressed and angry when we got back to San Diego and fired her immediatly (Now I would have done it on the spot and maybe slapped Barbie for good measure . I was newly married and it was our first home purchase too. Then I got back on the horse (or web) and I found a real estate agent couple that worked together and our first time out with them we bought a home. Yet, in each situation a date and time was set up to look at homes. Make sure whatever agent you do decide on signs you up for the MLS emails that come in the form of current listings. This is critical. If it is the site they link you up to ask them if they review your feedback and if not why not. Atleast now you'll both be on the same page.

You said you picked her because you liked her. Why did you like her?

You may be better off if she is not working for you. If so call her thank her for her time and tell her you have choosen another agent. Don't spend another second on the phone except to wish her well. Then do your footwork on the web, give people a call. Really interview them. Tell them what was not working with the other agent (NO NAMES and if so wait until you get to know the agent better in person. Don't get bogged down in this. If they do question their time and energy taken away from your home hunting mission and research to please their gossip needs. It is not about the old agent, it is about YOUR house hunting needs.) and ask how they work with out-of-town clients.

In a way this situation could really work for you, because now you may really know the questions to ask the new agent. You know it is no longer about who you like, but who does their job well for you. It is a learning process and sometimes we find out really quickly what our needs are and don't flinch with the next person about being clear and up front.

Understandably it is your first home buying experience and you are feeling a fish out of water. If she doesn't: hop in getting you those MLS listings I mentioned (please then get rid of her ASAP, but it sounds as though she hooks you up with something), offer clear direction and time frames regarding looking at homes and areas to cover when you tell her you are coming down to look at homes, and also if she does not answer your questions when you email her just don't waste another minute. Move on. In fact move on in absence of one of them. Home buying is stressful enough when you don't have the agent doing their job, doing it efficiently and with experience.

They may be a bit busy, but should get back to you in a resonable time frame. If they don't find that you are a serious future buyer, they may not be attentive. Why should they? (some will argue here and say you may be one day, but I disagree.) Many are busy putting new houses on the market and/or taking care of their serious clients or potential serious clients. But once it is established you are serious, then there should be no BS. Notta.

Good luck and may you find a fitting and wonderful first home. What area are you looking in? Maybe there is a good real estate agent on this site (probably many . I am sure they would also have great advice and suggestions.

Sorry about the long post. I am having long post syndrome weekend. Thank God it is Sunday . I also felt this being your first home, it would be nice to hear others have gone through this crazy process and have fired their first agent their first time around and it was a great and important move to do so.

Keep the faith and do the footwork. It will pay off. Please forgive redundant advice in areas you already are in the know about . Next thing you know you'll be answering someone else's post on their first home purchase with suggestions and advice. It is all learn as you go for everyone the first time around. Hopefully you also get sage advice along the way. Posting this question in this forum tells me you are a person that is excellent in finding solutions to concerns or problems Kick butt and remember . . . location, location, location and know what are your real day to day habits and get the best place that fits what you really like to do both as a couple and individually (be very careful about too much commute time). In the end it is about you two learning to be in a marriage right now. That is what is most important and above everything else. The first year of marriage can be stressful (maybe even filled with fighting) or it can be a long honeymoon, but buying a first home IS a given stressor for many reasons. Give each other room to make mistakes here (and dumb as- assumptions about one another) and learn together. You'll be doing it together for a lifetime.

Just call me Dear Abbey. LOL!

Last edited by fairweathergolfer; 05-21-2007 at 02:48 AM..

Old 05-21-2007, 02:00 AM

Oh my Starrynight227 it is you! It didn't even hit me until just now. How very cool. Well then double the well wishes and thank you for helping me when I needed advice and thoughts on Monterey (and SB!). What area? I am dying to know now . Congrats on the upcoming nuptials may they be blessed . I know your experience will serve you well in this marriage and move!

Last edited by fairweathergolfer; 05-21-2007 at 02:04 AM.. Reason: More bloviating additions :-).

Old 05-21-2007, 12:12 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,394,411 times
I'm not sure if fairweathergolfer covered it in that awesome but gynormous post above but holy smokes, in this day and age in this market the buyer is in the driver's seat and a real estate agent should be jumping though hoops and then again backwards to find you a new home! I can't imagine why some agents are like this...it is nutz. I could be wrong but I think you posted a question about swimming pools recently? Your screen name sounds familiar but if not then it proves I'm getting old and the memories are slipping away...LOL I too wish you the best on your move!

Old 05-21-2007, 12:59 PM

74 posts, read 700,433 times
Hi FWG, yes it is me. Thank you for all the detailed advice and the well wishes. Also, yes, da jammer I did ask a question about pools earlier so , no worries, you are not senile.

Ok, so the reason I say the program is substandard is because it isn't as good as the other online program I have been using in terms of getting the listings or updating the listings. Although, I do get the e-mails that tell me when a new listing comes up the problem is that this program judges price based on the high listing price. Therefore, if the range for a house is 405k-465k then we don't see it even though 405k is well within our range. The only reason I have been using it is so that she can see the houses that we are interested in. So, I have been manually putting in the MLS numbers and adding them to that list.

We do, in fact, have a meeting lined up with her for 2 weeks from now. She knows we are serious because I am going to be attending grad school, so there is no way around it, we are moving there.

FWG-what you said about once you got there your agent was great is what I am hoping that she will do. She told me that she would preview all the houses I said I liked and line them up for us to see including any else she found. What I was wondering is if she is not looking at my favorite listings (or just not commenting on them) is that a red flag. We are both concerned because if she flops when we take the time to go down there it will present a big problem. When we decided on her we really hadn't done our research we didn't ask a lot of questions and we didn't really lay out what our expectations were (kicking myself all three times). Basically she was nice and we told her that we needed someone to guide us on neighborhoods, she said she could do that and we went with her.

Because this is our first time doing this whole process I want to make sure that my expectations are reasonable. In my mind, she will be making around $13,000 in about one week and I would think that she would be more attentive especially because she's not under contract with us. I just don't want to be worried if this is all normal.

I love the story about the Barbie realtor, although I am sure you were ready to rip her hair out at the time. ha ha

Old 05-21-2007, 03:45 PM

16 posts, read 83,445 times
Default realtor

I am a realtor in Central Ca. I think she has you on an automatic system where she doesn't have to do anything. I would call some local real estate offices in the area you want and ask the broker for an experienced buyers agent. Interview them by phone and tell them what you want. See who actually calls you and talks, verus, puts you on the slacker system of emailing you listings. It doesnt cost the buyer anything to get the best agent. A buyers agent will work for your best interests. good luck. Be sure to talk to the broker of the office and not the "updesk sales agent"

Old 05-21-2007, 04:46 PM

LOL. Yes gynormous, I love that word, it was a bit uh, large, long eh? I think even I wore myself out over that one, pretty much covered everything except the kitchen sink and even then there was more redundancy then serious info. at times. But hey, I had fun writing it . . . . By the way I read your post on the swimming pool thread and I want to thank you for your very succinct , but very helpful tips and education about pools. I found that helpful as well. Thanks again!

Yes it is odd that real estate agents are not doing exactly as you mentioned. I am convinced if a real estate agent is very good, they can have a big impact on where one moves. I really meant it when I said if we had had a better agent in Texas we probably would have moved there. But it was like pulling hair (speaking of Starrynights later post to me--LOL ) and in the end, it was me deciding all the fears about the area where true, because she did nothing to dissuade me or show me communities that showed otherwise (although I knew they were there, but it felt as if she was throwing up roadblocks). Yet, my friend that moved there had the right person that eventually helped them find the place that addressed all their issues and today they really truly live in their dream home in a dream area and their quality of life compared to where they lived in California is out of this world amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
I'm not sure if fairweathergolfer covered it in that awesome but gynormous post above but holy smokes, in this day and age in this market the buyer is in the driver's seat and a real estate agent should be jumping though hoops and then again backwards to find you a new home! I can't imagine why some agents are like this...it is nutz. I could be wrong but I think you posted a question about swimming pools recently? Your screen name sounds familiar but if not then it proves I'm getting old and the memories are slipping away...LOL I too wish you the best on your move!

Old 05-21-2007, 05:05 PM

Great idea. I like that because then one can weigh that conversation and interaction against the other agent and make a decision. I hear a lot about buyer's agents, but I wonder what is the differenc between a buyer's agent and just listed real estate agents? Also you recommended asking for the broker of the office versus the (my word) lackey? How are they different in the end and in the process from your experience? I know it is probably a no brainer, but I was curious how much of a difference it could make and why.

Just curious and thought we could all benefit from your answers. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I gather from your post that you prefer and think it is better to work together by phone with long distance clients as opposed to online, did I misunderstand? What part of Central California are you an agent in, if you do not mind me asking.

StarryNight227 the good news is you have a bottomline move date, so in a way you can not afford to mess around. At the same time, I don't think it is a red flag, necessarily, but I would pay attention to the communication with this person and ask if you are both on the same page of giving you all the resources and information you need and as roselead mentioned that may be in another agent that you may find is a better fit in a few phone calls. It can't hurt to atleast interview some more if you do have the time. You can always decide to stay with her. But one thing I did hear is whether she is an okay agent or not, you can not afford to mess around with your time to find out. That may also be a decisive factor in moving to another agent that you feel more confidence in. They say that a buyer decides on a home in the first 10 seconds. Agents know they too need to move quick to snatch you up and if you are still wondering about her, with such a hit the ground running deadline, I would be abit concerned, especially if it is stressing you out. This agent's style may work better for someone that needs less follow through and aggressiveness now. Just some thoughts for whatever that is worth. Good luck! Let us know how it goes for sure!!!

Slacker system LOL! That says it all right there. So true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseleadfoot View Post
I am a realtor in Central Ca. I think she has you on an automatic system where she doesn't have to do anything. I would call some local real estate offices in the area you want and ask the broker for an experienced buyers agent. Interview them by phone and tell them what you want. See who actually calls you and talks, verus, puts you on the slacker system of emailing you listings. It doesnt cost the buyer anything to get the best agent. A buyers agent will work for your best interests. good luck. Be sure to talk to the broker of the office and not the "updesk sales agent"

Last edited by fairweathergolfer; 05-21-2007 at 05:18 PM..

Old 05-21-2007, 06:59 PM

16 posts, read 83,445 times
A buyers agent is better because she can have a certification in being a buyers agent. They work for the buyer and owe their duty to that buyer. A listing agent works for the seller. The seller pays all the fees. A buyers agent is fairly new and many agents specialize in that area. The manager/ broker will give you someone with experience (very important) and specializes with buyers. IF he/she doesnt, go to another office location. Ask questions and determine you knows the area and market best. The Updesk person, is usually a new agent looking for clients. I work in the Bakersfield area. Just remember, location, location, location!!!!! On your question on listing agents vs. buyers agent. A lot of agents in the business a long time, do listings mostly and think its a waste of time to work with a buyer, who may not buy anything. Find someone who has your best interests in mind and you trust and let them know you will be loyal to them, and not buy from someone else. If happens and is very distressing for someone who has worked for you. No one gets paid until the deal is done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California