U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2009, 04:44 PM

276 posts, read 699,566 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm new to the site and from out of town. I would like to relocate to California but here different things from different people (obviously). I really like the warm weather and actually need to live somewhere with a lot of sunshine. I enjoy being able to access the beach as well looking out on the water calms my soul. So Where is the best place to live in California? Affordability, safety, and employment are very important factors as well. I'm female looking to begin a new life...Oh! and is there any area best for those into metaphysical realms? Without getting spooky!

Thanks for any good advice!

Last edited by elisaa; 12-25-2009 at 05:51 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 04:55 PM

26,343 posts, read 88,067,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisaa View Post
Hi,

I'm new to the site and from out of town. I would like to relocate to Cali but here different things from different people (obviously). I really like the warm weather and actually need to live somewhere with a lot of sunshine. I enjoy being able to access the beach as well looking out on the water calms my soul. So Where is the best place to live in Cali? Affordability, safety, and employment are very important factors as well. I'm female looking to begin a new life...Oh! and is there any area best for those into metaphysical realms? Without getting spooky!

What line of work are you in?
Where will you be working?
Married?
Kids? Ages?
Buy or rent? Budget?

What's wrong with your old life?

Old 12-25-2009, 04:56 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,064,174 times
Quote:
Hi,

I'm new to the site and from out of town. I would like to relocate to Cali but here different things from different people (obviously). I really like the warm weather and actually need to live somewhere with a lot of sunshine. I enjoy being able to access the beach as well looking out on the water calms my soul. So Where is the best place to live in Cali? Affordability, safety, and employment are very important factors as well. I'm female looking to begin a new life...Oh! and is there any area best for those into metaphysical realms? Without getting spooky!

You may like Santa Cruz county ... meets a lot of your criteria.
And you're probably going to get grief for referring to California as "Cali".
We no like.
But yay to new beginnings and welcome in advance.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 12-25-2009 at 05:36 PM..

Old 12-25-2009, 05:06 PM

14,129 posts, read 28,996,558 times
Please don't call it Cali.

Old 12-25-2009, 05:57 PM

To answer bluntly...my old life sucks! Kids are grown and gone. Looking to do what my heart desires now. Employment is the first thing. I went to a website posting jobs but not much there. My skills are all over the place from office procedures to driving. And then there is the esoteric side of skills. Reading and teaching Tarot. I also teach english as a second language used to volunteer now work on my own privately. Need a place to live and save to purchase eventually. And perhaps even meet a great friend or two! That's it!

Old 12-25-2009, 05:59 PM

26,343 posts, read 88,067,903 times
Quote:
To answer bluntly...my old life sucks! Kids are grown and gone. Looking to do what my heart desires now. Employment is the first thing. I went to a website posting jobs but not much there. My skills are all over the place from office procedures to driving. And then there is the esoteric side of skills. Reading and teaching Tarot. I also teach english as a second language used to volunteer now work on my own privately. Need a place to live and save to purchase eventually. And perhaps even meet a great friend or two! That's it!

Are you planning on moving to California without a job?

Old 12-25-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Here are a couple of links so you can get a little sense (albeit limited) of this "neck of the woods".

craigslist: santa cruz classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Santa Cruz County, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-25-2009, 06:04 PM

I may have to. But I'm going to try to check the job postings each day first. When I do this move I'll be leaving everything and the past behind.

Old 12-25-2009, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the links. If you know of any others I'd be grateful for them.

Old 12-25-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the links. If you know of any others I'd be grateful for them.
What kind of links would you like?
Almost anywhere on the coast of California is expensive ... some places more expensive than others but all most likely more pricey than where you live now.
It's rather inflated.
Prices in S.C. county have come down a bit but just a bit since the economic crisis and who knows where they'll go from here.
Do you have a sense of California?
Drawn to southern CA? Northern? in between?
Also, it would be helpful to know what your rental budget is (unless you're planning to buy).
California is a great place for new beginnings but it's also a place where people move to and then find themselves disillusioned.
But if your heart is pointing toward the west coast, you best follow.

Here's a map of the counties in CA

And if you go to craigslist.org and click on California, you'll be able to get a sense of, for example, rental prices in various counties.
For some reason i can't get a live / functional link for that page but craigslist.org will do it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	county_map.gif
Views:	201111
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	55194
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California