Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 06:38 AM

199 posts, read 536,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatica View Post
Check out Kristina's Natural Ranch market for a good health food store.

Kristina's Natural Ranch Market - Home Page

Very common to use reusable shopping bags in Fresno. And north Fresno is definitely good for biking.
Wow! Kristina's reads as if it is similar to Rainbow Grocery in SF....with a Whole Foods and Trader Joe's in town as well, there is no excuse to be obese. Yes, those stores are more expensive; these days, one pays to stay healthy. I saw just the opposite in Mexico, cheap food means enormous shoppers, due to the processing. Grocery shopping in Mexico was like walking a tightrope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 05:14 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmanal View Post
My choices were Fresno, Bakersfield, Reno, and las Las Vegas. Why Fresno? It is in California, and I'd love to return. Bako is too conservative for me, and most responders there seem bored. After leaving San Francisco, I settled in Mexico; loved it, but the increasing violence pushed me out. Now in Upstate New York; the "East Coast" culture pushes me away, not my cup of tea. I am aware about the summer heat and dust in the Central Valley, Mexico ain't cool either and is dusty too, so I am used to it.

Is there a Healthy or Natural Grocery in Fresno? To keep Cholesterol at bay, I must shop markets that won't push meat or cheese in my face, they also carry tofu and soy milk. Yes, a tree hugger store. These markets will also carry the best produce, I'm a Vegan vegetarian.

I'll look for a place in far north Fresno as an attempt to be as safe as possible. But is Fresno bike-friendly? I was a moving target in ciudad juarez, Mexico. I rode my bike almost daily there. To better fit the "tree hugger" profile, I do carry my own canvas shopping bags or backpack when I shop for groceries. And would love to be on a bike again.

My current lease ends in the sumer of 2010, so I'll have plenty of time to plan, as I did when I moved to New York.

BTW: Safety; Fresno is twice the size of Rochester, NY; yet, slightly safer when one compares the population of each city. Burglary is higher, but I have insurance.
There are some bike trails in the Woodward Park and Clovis areas. these are safe places to live. There is a Whole Foods Market in Fig Garden Village. Fresno is pretty conservative too, but maybe not as bad as Bako.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:52 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
I, myself, also think that the valley that offer some of the best livability left in the state. If you want bicycle-friendly infrastructure, Chico and Folsom are both great, and Davis, of course, sets the standard for bicycle friendliness in the Western Hemisphere. All are in the Sac Valley.
But I think sprawl-blighted Fresno offers neither the bucolic allure of "Old California" that you might find around Chico, nor the big-city sophistication of Sacramento or the Bay Area. It's just a big, overgrown agricultural town. With Fresno, you get most of the disadvantages (crime, congestion, traffic, poor air quality), yet few of the advantages (good public transportation, fine dining, arts and culture) that come with living in a bigger-city.
I agree with your assessment of Fresno. But I guess it's all relative. If you've lived in Juarez, Mexico, Fresno probably seems like a paradise in comparison.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:27 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I think Fresno offers just about anything that any other city does, except perhaps a beach ~ and Fresno is a short drive from there. It's also very hot in the summer, but you've lived in Mexico, so it should be just fine.

Like most cities, it has its good neighborhoods. But I did not know that it has a Chinatown. It may not be an older one like SF's (if someone knows otherwise, do correct me).

Hope you enjoy it. I like the Great San Joaquin, too.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:46 AM

I can tolerate conservative environments a little, but don't get me started on the conservative areas in this country. In general, I'll tolerate it up to a point. Mexico is very conservative, in the north. Tijuana is quite open-minded in my book. Generally, I relate to Mexicans better than I do with some Americans. The problem with Mexican-American neighbors I saw in SF was mostly around housekeeping, and being a good neighbor. Most housekeepers in S Cali are Mexican Americans; yet, go to their respective environments, and you'll see garbage everywhere, unruly children, pot smoking, etc. That said, I loved my neighbors. I was comfortable in that environment, I knew what to expect. They weren't the smartest, but I was fine around them. If Tijuana were safer, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Safety is somewhat of a personal preference in many eyes at first; then again, crime stats don't lie. Yes, some of the clothing worn in urban areas, is made to look threatening; urban behavior doesn't help either.

Per the Apartment Reviews in Fresno, most, even north of Shaw complexes, are not recommended due to the property managers turning a blind eye along with a deaf ear to what is happening in their complex. If rent is paid by the tenant or the government, "barbaric" behavior is ignored. The other tenants will have to live with this or move. My current place is okay, but I don't like this city. I was given "abridged" information before I moved here. The information I received on Fresno is a lot better.

At least I know which complexes to investigate and avoid in Fresno. As for food, biking, and walking, I'm all set.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:48 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmanal View Post
a bike will suffice for me.
...then you should prioritize one of these cities (Fresno didn't qualify for bike-friendly status)

http://www.bikeleague.org/programs/b...iendlyamerica/

Old 12-28-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
...then you should prioritize one of these cities (Fresno didn't qualify for bike-friendly status)

League of American Bicyclists * Bicycle Friendly America
Thanks Steve97415,

My figuring was corrupt. I didn't know this link before. 1 bike is 1 less car on the roads, and a healthier cardiovascular system; without pills. Juarez is rather bike-unfriendly, but most of the accidents involving bikes there are caused by the bike rider (riding into trucks or buses, Duuuhhhh).

I remember the Valley being rather flat, so I figured this wouldn't be an issue. Most, intelligent bike rider do watch for traffic, but one must wear lots of International Orange and hope they're seen.

Almost back to the drawing board......

Old 12-28-2009, 08:32 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
I think Fresno offers just about anything that any other city does, except perhaps a beach ~ and Fresno is a short drive from there. It's also very hot in the summer, but you've lived in Mexico, so it should be just fine.

Like most cities, it has its good neighborhoods. But I did not know that it has a Chinatown. It may not be an older one like SF's (if someone knows otherwise, do correct me).

Hope you enjoy it. I like the Great San Joaquin, too.
it does have a China Town. I ate at Fuji Cafe once. There is a Chinese New Year celebration every year I think.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:20 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,729 times
Fresno will be spending over $1 million per year for the next 20 years on bike paths/lanes. The money is from a transportation sales tax, which was renewed in 2007 with a new emphasis on non-highway transportation like public transit, bike lanes, etc.

This is a pretty good map of the trails and bike lanes in Fresno and neighboring Clovis. But the map is 2 years old and I know new lanes and paths have been built that do not show. But as you can see it covers much of the urban area, the region is now working to connect the gaps.
http://www.fresnocog.org/files/Publi...Map%202007.pdf

Currently there are several major off-street trails. The Old Town Clovis/Sugar Pine Trail covers 13 miles from near the Fresno Airport to Woodward Park.
TrailLink :: Fresno Sugar Pine Trail / Clovis Old Town Trail
Along the San Joaquin River a bike/walk path has been constructed from Highway 41 north toward Friant Dam. Where it ends you switch to bike lanes on Friant Road which was recently widened and improved.
Eaton Trail, Fresno

The city is also in the process of updating its bicycle master plan, Fresno hired a new city planner from Davis who is charge of the process.

The "Bicycle Friendly City" list requires a city to apply, so Fresno not being on the list may mean nothing more than it did not apply.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:45 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,729 times
Salmanal, you've gotten some good advice about food. I would just add that there are several farmers markets each week in different parts of the city. So lots of choices that way too.

Besides the stores you have already seen listed visit Charlottes Bakery in the Tower District for vegan-friendly baked goods like bread and cookies.

Also check out India Sweets and Spices near Ashlan/West for some vegan goods.

For restaurants for the times you want to eat out try Au Lac Cafe in the Tower District and New Stars Vegetarian in North Fresno.

If you are currently in Rochester then crime in Fresno is a non-issue. Fresno has a much lower crime rate citywide than Rochester. CQ Press in the 2009 rankings had Rochester as the 33rd highest crime rate in the US out of 393 cities, Fresno was #161.
http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2009...9_Rank_Rev.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California