Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 11:43 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,690,166 times

Advertisements

NOVAkate ... sorry for giving you a hard time / dumping on you.
I came back to delete my post (i don't like to spew my own c***) but it was too late.
I admittedly have my attitudes about people who are intolerant however i understand your need for safety and security.
But California is somewhat chaotic and, at the moment, it's a troubled place (as is the entire country but it's manifesting in a more extreme way here it seems ... especially in SoCal as i see it) and, unless you can gate yourself off (which it seems you'll be able to do) you'll most likely find much that displeases and/or threatens you ... even if you can gate yourself off actually.
The conventionality of the east may just suit you better and despite the fact that there are communities that may be a good fit, these are troubled times and you can't build an impenetrable wall around you and expect to not be affected by some of the major issues that CA is facing ... or you can expect it but your expectations may be dashed .... or maybe not ... who knows? not i.
Good luck ... sincerely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 06:16 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyBoy85 View Post
If museums and fine dining is towards the top of your list then you definitely shouldn't completely rule out the L.A. area. L.A. is home to may museums and, in my opinion, is up to par with and competes with NYC and Washington D.C. area in terms of culture and museums. Orange county doesn't even come close to L.A. in this regard. From the Huntington Library and Museum to the Getty Villa and Museum, L.A. boast some of the best and most exclusive private galleries and botanical gardens.

I strongly agree with Suzie02 and NmNita and think that moving across the country will most likely be socially detrimental to your 11th year old son. But I have compiled a list of cities those cities in L.A. country you should keep in consideration.

The following cities have similar demographics to McLean. All lean republican with Rolling hills being a republican stronghold and guess what they are all located in L.A. county,

1)Rolling Hills (Palos Verdes Peninsula)- 27.5 mi commute to downtown L.A. – about 35 mins (up to 1 hour 0 mins in traffic)

The racial makeup of the city was 79.80% White, 2.03% African American, 14.00% Asian, 0.48% Pacific Islander, 1.18% from other races, and 2.51% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.54% of the population. The median income for a household in the city was in excess of $200,000, as is the median income for a family.

Rolling Hills has the third highest percentage of registered Republicans of any cities in California, with 61.3% of its 1,441 registered voters registered as Republicans. 19.4% of voters are registered Democrats, and 16.3 % are "decline to state."

The city is served by Palos Verdes Peninsula Unified School District. PVPUSD schools have constantly ranked among the best in California and the nation. The Washington Post once ranked Palos Verdes Peninsula High School as the 8th best public or private high school in the nation.

2) Hidden Hills (San Fernando Valley) 28.2 m - About 30 mins (1 hour 20 mins in traffic)

The racial makeup of the city was 88.70% White, 0.44% Black or African American, 0.12% Native American, 2.71% Asian, 1.55% from other races, and 1.83% from two or more races. 6.24% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

The median income for a household in the city was $200,000+, as is the median income
for a family. In the 2004 presidential election George W. Bush won 52% of the vote, compared to 44% statewide, while John Kerry won 46% of the vote. In the 2006 state governor election, Arnold Schwarzenegger got over 72% of the vote, while Democratic opponent Phil Angelides got nearly 25%.

I believe Hidden Hills is in the Las Virgenes Unified School District, which also includes Calabasas and nearby Agoura Hills.

3) Calabasas ( San Fernando Valley) 27.1 mi- 28 mins (1 hour 20 mins in traffic)
The racial makeup of the city was 85.92% White, 2.18% Black or African American, 0.13% Native American, 7.71% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 1.31% from other races, and 2.71% from two or more races. 4.74% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. According to a 2007 estimate, the median income for a household in the city was $104,935, and the median income for a family was $122,482.

4) La Canada Flintridge ( Foothills/ San Gabriel Valley) 14.2 mi- 19 mins (30 mins in traffic)

The racial makeup of the city was 65.53% White, 0.36% Black or African American, 0.18% Native American, 31.57% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 1.01% from other races, and 3.31% from two or more races. 4.80% of the population was Hispanic or Latino of any race. Not exactly around 80% white compared to McLean but it is still a very affluent city with great schools.

According to a 2007 estimate, the median income for a household in the city was $128,113, and the median income for a family was $154,854. This makes La Canada Flintridge the 18th most affluent city in the United States of America, according to Forbes.com - Business News, Financial News, Stock Market Analysis, Technology & Global Headline News

The La Cañada Unified School District serves most of the city. The district is now 2nd in the state.

5) San Marino (San Gabriel Valley) 11.8 mi- 17 mins (30 mins in traffic)
The racial makeup of the city was 51.98% White, 0.15% African American, 0.05% Native American, 48.4% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 1.04% from other races, and 2.30% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.25% of the population. The median income for a household in the city was $147,267, and the median income for a family was $155,708.

As of the 2009 API school reports, San Marino Unified school district is the top performing school district in California, followed by La Cañada Flintridge, and Palo Alto. Its high school consistently ranks as one of the highest API scores among public high schools in California. Each of its public schools are honored as a California Distinguished School and a United States National Blue Ribbon School.

San Marino is a conservative community in the midst of a mostly liberal state. Elected positions are often held by private citizens who show no ambition for higher political office. Political participation generally lies in the form of donations for political parties and candidates. It is also mentioned in Mike Davis's City of Quartz and James Loewen's Sundown Towns for its past racially
exclusionary practices.

6) Manhattan Beach (South Bay) 21.9 mi - 26 mins (50 mins in traffic)
The racial makeup of the city was 88.99% White, 6.04% Asian, 5.19% Hispanic or Latino of any race, 0.61% African American, 0.21% Native American, 0.12% Pacific Islander, 1.23% from other races, including 2.81% from two or more races. The median income for a household in the city was $100,750, and the median income for a family was $122,686 (these figures had risen to $124,048 and $149,396 respectively as of a 2007 estimate[19])

Public education in Manhattan Beach is provided by the Manhattan Beach Unified School District, received a score of 906 on the 2006 California Academic Performance Index, making it California's 5th best performing district.[35]

As of 2002, 46% of Manhattan Beach residents were registered Republicans and 35% were registered Democrats.

So again, I wouldnt give up hope on L.A. quite yet. I have narrowed your list down to 6 affluent cities that met most if not all of your expectations. These cities are truly wonderful and are definite potential contenders to their Orange County counterparts. Good Luck. Hope all of this helps out and all ends up working out for you.

Oh, I almost forgot. The gold line recently opened up. This light rail line takes you directly to Downtown L.A. If you choose La Canada Flintridge or San Marino area then public transportation is certainly a viable option. With a $1.25 a way fare it very friendly on your pocket/wallet. haha! The orange line/D.C. metro cant beat that!!
I agree with your assessment of some of these cities but I think the OP wanted to be within just a few minutes of work for hubby as he is 10 minutes now. Many of the places you are suggesting are going to be 1/2 to an hour away. I do love Rolling Hills and of course the La Canada area. I think So Pasa should be an option as it is a little closer. Yes, L.A. does have lots of culture, like D.C. and NYC. Most people do not realize that.

Nita

Old 01-06-2010, 10:35 AM

11 posts, read 46,162 times
I would give serious thought to the stress on everyone involved in moving. We moved from the east coast to So Cal 7 years ago, and if I could do it over I would have stayed. With your income level you can find a place to live that is nice, gated, and safe, as we did. But the only benefit of great weather and year-around farmers markets are offset by polluted air, jammed freeways, bad government, and lots of other issues. Your husband will have a terrible commute, your kids will have a big adjustment at an important time in their lives, and you will be trapped behind the gates because you won't want to go back out into the traffic to get anywhere.
Why not stay put and spend a month once a year visiting the nice weather instead? Or wait until the kids are grown? Or at least send your husband to start the job while your eldest finishes high school, and he can see if he likes it enough for the whole family to move. From my experience, if your kids are miserable, your whole family will be.
Sometimes you don't appreciate what you have until you don't have it anymore.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:44 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,422,126 times
Conservative, White, Far away from anything threatening.....South OC all the way.

But you won't really be a "Close ride away to museums, fine restaurants and attractions.". Most of these are in the terrible, scary, liberal areas.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:08 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Kate, as one who has lived in Northern Virginia twice and is a native of California who was born in San Diego, raised in Newport Beach (Orange County), lived in Central CA and ended up in Sacramento, let me assure you that you will NOT find McLean, VA anywhere in California.

I recommend you stay put and merely vacation there to warm up.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:34 AM

26,573 posts, read 26,433,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightIhelp View Post
I would give serious thought to the stress on everyone involved in moving. We moved from the east coast to So Cal 7 years ago, and if I could do it over I would have stayed....with your income level you can find a place to live that is nice, gated, and safe...but you will be trapped behind the gates because you won't want to go back out into the traffic to get anywhere.
My aunt and uncle moved from Houston to a gated community in Rolling Hills when their youngest was a freshman in college. They experienced what you did and ended up moving to a different community. And my sister's in laws built a home in Lake Arrowhead and retired there, hoping family and friends would come vist (they even built a rec room for the young grandchildren). Those windy roads and the long commute from L.A. suburbs resulted in very few visitors. They had a hard time meeting people since they were both retired, and ended up moving back to the Orange County suburb they'd moved from. I agree that it can be very hard to move.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:59 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
My aunt and uncle moved from Houston to a gated community in Rolling Hills when their youngest was a freshman in college. They experienced what you did and ended up moving to a different community. And my sister's in laws built a home in Lake Arrowhead and retired there, hoping family and friends would come vist (they even built a rec room for the young grandchildren). Those windy roads and the long commute from L.A. suburbs resulted in very few visitors. They had a hard time meeting people since they were both retired, and ended up moving back to the Orange County suburb they'd moved from. I agree that it can be very hard to move.

That sounds eerily familiar. My parents sold their home in Newport Beach when my father retired and built a lovely home on a couple of lots they already owned right above Big Bear Lake. After three or four winters in the mountains they moved back to the beach in Dana Point. It would have been better for them had they never left the home in Newport.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:55 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,441,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA Kate View Post
Hello all,

My name is Kate. I would like to take this time and thank you ahead of time for you help.

My hubby has been offered a fascinating opportunity to promote however doing so would mean relocating to California ( southern).

We visited San Diego five years ago while on vacation and fell in love with the city. Loved the weather and enjoyed spending time at the beach even though it was February! We would've chosen the San Diego office but that position has been recently filled. Bummer.. He has the option to work out of the Downtown L.A. or Irvine office. We have been to neither cities so this is where you folks come in.

Before I continue further let me make myself clear and point out that we are perfectly fine where we currently live (McLean, VA). We dont need the extra money from the promotion but year after year of watching the Rose parade and noting the sunny clear skies my hubby has suggested that a change in scenery might be good for the whole family. We wont make the move unless doing so has a positive impact and improves the quality of life for the whole family ( no more shoveling snow).

1) Safe and clean neighborhoods is a must!!!! Want to be able to walk my dog at night without fearing getting mugged. We would like to find a place comparable to McLean (would prefer same demographics).

2) My hubbys current commute time is under 10 minutes as his firm is based out of McLean area. I work from home (own my own business) so commute time is not an issue for me. Ideally we want to keep the commute under an hour (30-45 minutes preferred). Accessibility to public transportation is a plus.

3) We have two children. One is in 8th grade and the other is in high school ( 11th grade). Outstanding public schools is a MUST!! School districts with a science/technology based curriculum is highly encourage. Additionally, we are seeking school districts that have a partnership with local universities and offer programs where my 11th grade son can take summer college level courses. We're open to consider private schooling as a last resort. Would rather put those monies aside in a college fund.

4) Close ride away to museums, fine restaurants and attractions.

5) We would prefer an area that leans conservative although not a must. Dont want to find myself bumping into hippies and extreme liberal types.

6) Would like to pay the least amount of taxes so if the tax rate would very fom city to city please let us know.

7) With California's fiscal woes and another projected $20 billion deficit next year, would buying a house and relocated here in your opinion be a smart move?

Our combine annual income is $320k. Our house was recently appraised for $1.5 m and currently still owe approximately $250k on it. We plan to pay off and hold on to the property.

With out tight schedules we would only have weekend of Jan 15th to find our dream home. Any advice and suggestions that helps us narrow down the search would be highly appreciated. Thanks once again!! I hope this move end up working out.
So Cal is a great place to live, if you have the finacail resources to enjoy it, and you apparently do. Given what you laid out, I would say Orange County is the place for you. The other thing is living in OC will put your hubby in the middle of his company's offices. He could accept a position in LA or SD (bit of a stretch) or, of course, in Irvine in the future if something better comes up.

OC is light on some of the cultural attractions you are seeking (Actually all of So Cal is), but there is a taste here in OC & a more hearty portion up in LA w/ a 45-60 minute drive tops. There is alot of fine dining & good shopping here. You will also find the area much more conservative then LA or its northern burbs.

Taxes are'nt a huge difference city to city - there pretty much ridiculously high everywhere - but what you will need to be aware of is Mello-Roos assessments. I'll spare you all the gory details, but bottom line is most developments built after 1988 have an additional bond assesment on top of the county tax rate built in to their annual prop. tax bills. These assesments can easily double or almost triple the standard tax rate. To give you an idea, my humble casa would have about $3k in annual county prop tax on it, but my actual payments to the county are over $5.5k because of the MR assessments. The rub of it is, most newer, desirable areas have these assessments. OTH, many of the older but desirable areas suffer from "Tiffany taxes" were you pay more for the house to get the right zip code or adress (i.e. Newport Beach). A few places have both. (i.e Newport Coast or Shady Canyon). Whenever you are looking at houses make sure you enquire about the Mello-Roos rates. Another, less impactful but highly variable tax like cost can be HOA dues. Many places in OC have them. Older neighborhoods tend to be lower, but often the amenities support by them - parks, pools, playgrounds, tennis courts, etc. - are just as good as areas with higher rates. Here in Irvine I've seen neighborhoods that pay $50/ month with great amenities and some that pay $250/ month and don't seem to get much for it.

Look into Irvine, Mission Viejo, parts of Newport Beach and the rest of "South County". (Too find south county, look at a map of OC, find where the I-5 & I-405 meet and follow the 5 down to Pendleton. All the cities on both sides of the freeway are "South County") South County is basically one big upper-middle class bedroom community. There are some higher end areas and a few lower end ones, but it really is a great place to raise a family. Come over to the OC fourm when you get more granular on the geo's you are looking at, lots of folks there will be glad to help.

One last thought - wherever you land in So Cal, think real hard about buying right out of the gate. You may want to rent for a year then take the plunge on buying. The real estate market is really in flux here and some - many - areas still have further to fall. Renting will allow you to get a flavor for the area and help you figure out what you want with first hand experience. Plus if you hate it, it will be easier to pull up stakes and head back east.

Good Luck

Old 01-06-2010, 01:12 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,113,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
let me assure you that you will NOT find McLean, VA anywhere in California.
Maybe not in Southern Cal but I'd put places like Woodside or Los Altos Hills in Northern California on par with McLean.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:27 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,422,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Maybe not in Southern Cal but I'd put places like Woodside or Los Altos Hills in Northern California on par with McLean.
Pleasanton, Danville and Roseville come to mind too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California