Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 12:56 PM

193 posts, read 1,402,737 times

Advertisements

CW68

Thanks for the advice...and I agree that there are a few things that make a house stand out from the others. That is why I have a some confidence in our home..we have one of the biggest and nicest landscaped homes in the area. I guess that is why my standard is high for how the neighbors keep their yards. (though the dumpy ones fall far below, of course).

I did call the county to find out about code violations on one house in particular. Their response is that they contact the fire department and it will issue a notice to clear the dry weeds, but that's all they can do. They said they can't cite a house for being UGLY. I found out the owners name but the contact information is the address of the house! And since it's empty I am out of luck there.

The only way the code enforcement people will step in is if the house has been broken into or shows signs that someone is squatting there. So if there is a broken window then it becomes something the county will handle.

But yeah I thought about doing the offering $$$ thing for new carpet in the bedrooms but I think it would be better to replace them right before we sell.

One big challange I don't forward too, and I hate doing now, will be keeping my house hair free from my dumb boxer. He thinks he owns the place and I keep chasing him off my recliners!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 01:39 PM

325 posts, read 1,472,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Bthere View Post
CW68

Thanks for the advice...and I agree that there are a few things that make a house stand out from the others. That is why I have a some confidence in our home..we have one of the biggest and nicest landscaped homes in the area. I guess that is why my standard is high for how the neighbors keep their yards. (though the dumpy ones fall far below, of course).

I did call the county to find out about code violations on one house in particular. Their response is that they contact the fire department and it will issue a notice to clear the dry weeds, but that's all they can do. They said they can't cite a house for being UGLY. I found out the owners name but the contact information is the address of the house! And since it's empty I am out of luck there.

The only way the code enforcement people will step in is if the house has been broken into or shows signs that someone is squatting there. So if there is a broken window then it becomes something the county will handle.

But yeah I thought about doing the offering $$$ thing for new carpet in the bedrooms but I think it would be better to replace them right before we sell.

One big challange I don't forward too, and I hate doing now, will be keeping my house hair free from my dumb boxer. He thinks he owns the place and I keep chasing him off my recliners!
Try sending a registered letter to the owner at that address sharing your concerns. S/he may have the mail automatically forwarded and s/he may not know of the problems.

Regarding the pet hair, here's a little trick a realtor told me since I have very hairy cats. Keep sheets on the furniture that the pet gets on. The sheet will grab the hair and they before you have a showing, pull the sheet off and put it in your car as you leave. They'll never know. Otherwise, you just vaccuum, vaccuum, vaccuum.

Good luck and congrats on the upcoming move!

Old 05-30-2007, 09:30 PM

44 posts, read 143,723 times
You Can Buy My House In Temecula For 465k No Realtor

Old 06-05-2007, 05:37 PM

27 posts, read 88,262 times
Our townhouse has been on the market for quite a while. We started at $599K and are now at $579K (we are 1/2 block from the beach). A similar townhouse not far from us, but in a different complex sold for $509K within weeks of listing and was a repo, for sale by the bank.

So, I'm thinking.....if we want to sell this house sooner than later, do we drastically drop our price? Was that townhouse sale a fluke for the area? Others are selling in the range we are priced, but they have something we don't have - a veiw! So....dh and I are thinking of reducing again in a couple of weeks - but to what???

I don't want to keep going down and down. I want to make one more reduction and then sell!!! Our realtor is great and gave me the area comps yesterday, but the price reduction amount is up to what we want.

We are very motivate!! Opinions?

Old 06-05-2007, 05:39 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,098,958 times
Pam i am,

What city are you in? You said you are a half block from the beach.
I used to live at Hollywood Beach in Oxnard. Your location says "Ventura County". Are you in Ventura or the Oxnard area?
Is your townhouse in a desirable area? Would the children go to the good school in the area? Is the complex the sot after complex? Stuff like that.
I know that beach market. I sold our oceanfront home 2.5 years ago. A neighbor across the street from the beach, just sold her home.

Last edited by Roma; 06-05-2007 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: add

Old 06-05-2007, 06:58 PM

376 posts, read 1,505,425 times
Regarding the homes that are sitting vacant have your Realtor run a title search and see if they are in foreclosure, etc. Your agent can also discuss the yard with the sellers/bank etc. It is doing no one any good. The number of sales is down in the OC but the pricing is actaully up. Homes that are presented well, priced well and the agent is marketing well are moving. I just sold one in 7 days. Always think like a buyer, do you look at new homes and go wow this is nice. Think the same as begin to present your home. Best of luck!

Old 06-05-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Pam i am,

What city are you in? You said you are a half block from the beach.
I used to live at Hollywood Beach in Oxnard. Your location says "Ventura County". Are you in Ventura or the Oxnard area?
Well, I hesitate to tell you as on another thread, I saw many people slam my beach town as gang-infested and horrid to live in. I disagree. I've lived here 14 years and do not feel that our town deserves the reputation it sometimes gets. Yes, we have our problems, but who doesn't??? Yes, our High School sucks (elementary is fine).....but most buyers in our beach area are older and w/out kids so that is not really an issue. Any clues as to my town? LOL

Old 06-05-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kturbe View Post
Regarding the homes that are sitting vacant have your Realtor run a title search and see if they are in foreclosure, etc. Your agent can also discuss the yard with the sellers/bank etc. It is doing no one any good. The number of sales is down in the OC but the pricing is actaully up. Homes that are presented well, priced well and the agent is marketing well are moving. I just sold one in 7 days. Always think like a buyer, do you look at new homes and go wow this is nice. Think the same as begin to present your home. Best of luck!

Our house shows beautifully...and I'm not just saying that. She has had that comment by agents and clients as well. We have wood laminate flooring (I know hard wood is better, but...) and granite counters we had put in last August....newer carpet. We cleaned out lots of clutter and unnecessary furniture, etc.

Our HOA fees are low compared to others ($222/month) and we are within a short walk to the beach.

I'm thinking that the market here is view driven (what kind of ocean view you have or don't have) and price driven - people looking for not just a good deal, but a GREAT deal. So setting our next price change is critical, ya know?

We wanna sell this flippin house!!! P

Old 06-05-2007, 07:11 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,098,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam-i-am View Post
Well, I hesitate to tell you as on another thread, I saw many people slam my beach town as gang-infested and horrid to live in. I disagree. I've lived here 14 years and do not feel that our town deserves the reputation it sometimes gets. Yes, we have our problems, but who doesn't??? Yes, our High School sucks (elementary is fine).....but most buyers in our beach area are older and w/out kids so that is not really an issue. Any clues as to my town? LOL

LOL , Yes

I know of 2 complexes off hand there but both are ocean view. You are right though, most people in that section are older.

Good luck, I bet you sell you home soon. This is the season and the beach is a hot market. I wish you the best.

Roma

Last edited by Roma; 06-05-2007 at 07:20 PM..

Old 06-05-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
LOL , Yes

I know of 2 complexes off hand there but both are ocean view. You are right though, most people in that section are older.

Good luck, I bet you sell you home soon. This is the season and the beach is a hot market. I wish you the best.

Roma
Thanks, I hope you are right. I'm sure getting tired of keeping the house in perfect condition!!! Pam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California