Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:10 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,018,750 times

Advertisements

Today in fullerton a 15 yr old girl got into a argument with her dad & shortly therafter she stepped in front of a fast moving train. She was thrown 50 feet. What a damn shame. She was so young with a full life ahead of her. Her dad & younger brother were nearby but didnt see the impact. I wish people would work out their problems (seek help) instead of killing themselves. May the young lady RIP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 10:00 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,723,851 times
That is tragic.
When a person has suicidal tendencies and all hope seems to be lost, that option is perceived to be the only one.
And not getting along with her father was surely not the cause ... much deeper issues and trauma were certainly a part of this girls life.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:27 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
One of the sadder aspects of suicide, beyond the loss of life, is the fact that is generally condemns the survivors to a lifetime of questioning and guilt.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:16 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,018,750 times
UPDATE....the girls name is savanna white. The train hit her going 50 mph & threw her 100 feet. The father DID witness the tragic incident. Some witnesses say she intentionally walked in front of the train & some say she tried to beat the train by crossing over the tracks. I believe it was the first one. She ignored the train horn & flashing lights. She was a popular girl in fullerton high school. Imagine if this was your daughter, niece, grandchild, siblng, etc. This is sad.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:15 AM

An even sadder (and very possible) scenario is that she actually did not intend to kill herself bur was acting like a belligerent teenager, was angry at her dad, was perhaps trying to **** him off by sauntering across the tracks, was feeling impervious and then got hit.
Who knows?
It's just speculation but in either case .... tragic.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:01 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,468,092 times
We have raised a generation of kids with a crisis of low EQ. Emotional Intelligence -- the ability to self-regulate one's emotions, self-deny compulsive urges, forestall immediate gratification and work toward long-term goals -- is something that eludes the majority of today's teens. It's the reason our "schools are failing." There's actually nothing wrong with our schools and most elementary-school student do just fine. When puberty hits, they can't keep their lives together. This is a particularly tragic instance, but believe me, millions of teens each year spiral down a tube of desperation as the development of their character skills increasingly lags behind the pace of growing up.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:11 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,475,507 times
In my teens and 20's I had some issues (as many of us do) but in my 30's I have realized that NOTHING is ever worth doing something that drastic. Unless your terminal there is no reason for suicide.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
We have raised a generation of kids with a crisis of low EQ. Emotional Intelligence -- the ability to self-regulate one's emotions, self-deny compulsive urges, forestall immediate gratification and work toward long-term goals -- is something that eludes the majority of today's teens. It's the reason our "schools are failing." There's actually nothing wrong with our schools and most elementary-school student do just fine. When puberty hits, they can't keep their lives together. This is a particularly tragic instance, but believe me, millions of teens each year spiral down a tube of desperation as the development of their character skills increasingly lags behind the pace of growing up.
How can a sick culture (and the culture is indeed sick) with sick adults raise healthy kids?
It cannot!
Don't blame the canary in the coal mine for dying.
It's not the fault of the children and teenagers.
To hold them responsible for being imbalanced and disturbed is to overlook the essential causes of those disturbances and supports and deepens the denial about what's really going on here.
To deny the underlying issues is problematic.
If that girl did indeed intentionally throw herself in front of a train, it was not because she had an "inability to deny urges" or the inability to "forestall immediate gratification" or the inability to "work toward long term goals"!
Utter desolation and despair and hopelessness result in suicide (along with some other specific conditions that those with suicidal tendencies share in common) ... so let's imagine some scenarios that may have resulted in that kind of despair and hopelessness ... and not to what is akin to "blaming the victim".

Old 12-30-2009, 12:21 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
An even sadder (and very possible) scenario is that she actually did not intend to kill herself bur was acting like a belligerent teenager, was angry at her dad, was perhaps trying to **** him off by sauntering across the tracks, was feeling impervious and then got hit.
Who knows?
It's just speculation but in either case .... tragic.
Rarely agree with you, but I do this time. I think you are onto something. SHe really didn't realize what she was doing, the outcome regardless is the same. Yes, it is a tragic event. My heart goes out to her entire family, especially her poor dad..

Nita

Old 12-30-2009, 12:56 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
As a father of two young daughters this just makes me sick. What a tragedy! I think ppl sometimes take depression, suicidal tendancies, metal illnesss, etc... for granted sometimes as just the way someone is. But it is a real wakeup call for all of us when things like this occur. Our loved are really what is most important. All this other stuff is in the noise (CA vs. other places, etc...). What a sobering reminder.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California