Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 04:31 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
You served our country in the Revolutionary war? Indeed.
Oh my! My own personal butt-shark.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:36 PM

457 posts, read 1,182,538 times
Borders, Language, Culture. Is that what you are getting to Curmudgeon?

I know people who refuse to speak English and learn it. Why is that? Is it not our country's language? Did they not come to this country for a reason?

I think immigration is vital to our success but we should have some standards. Do we really need more lower income people with no skills? I think we have plenty of low income people that are capable of working but they choose not to because taxpayers provide them a nice life. Why do we allow illegal immigrants to continuously commit crimes here and stay?

I think our culture as a nation has been changing for the worse also. That is well documented so I don't really need to comment.

Why can't our state turn around? I think it can. We just need to get some real people to run it and turn it into the right direction. We need people who are tough on crime/criminals, illegal immigration and promote a great environment for new and old businesses to thrive. I think with the housing costs falling it is finally starting to get somewhat affordable and we may be able to attract younger professionals if we have the jobs for them. We shouldn't let Texas, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Phoenix, Colorado and whoever else take our working class. Lets not let the politicians continue to ruin this great state.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:45 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,726,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Oh my! My own personal butt-shark.
What's a butt-shark?

Old 01-05-2010, 05:15 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
What's a butt-shark?
Something reminiscent of Gollum that's always on your tail ready to snap at anything you post regardless of its merits, also known as an unpleasant, ectothermic aquatic vertebrate with a propensity for nipping.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:24 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Kotkin:

The World's Smartest Cities | Joel Kotkin

Old 01-05-2010, 05:28 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
With the exception of the clogged freeways and bad air, I agree with you.

The air quality in most parts of CA is MUCH better than it was 20 or 30 years ago. It's even better than it was 10 years ago. That's true in other parts of the country as well, but CA has been a leader in air pollution control, and it's one area where I think it's mostly done a good job.

As far as the clogged freeways go, that is just a natural result of everyone wanting to live in single family detached homes in suburbs with no mass transit (or being forced to live in such places because that's all they build).

Once a metro area reaches a certain size, suburban living becomes unsustainable becuase the distances between workplaces and home become too far and too hard to control/coordinate. The solution for this is more mixed use development (business, stores, & homes closer together) and higher density. Not necessarily Manhattan, or even San Francisco style density, but denser than your typical suburb--probably at about the density of Oakland or Los Angeles (both cities have about 1/2 the population density of SF). A certain level of density is needed for mass transit to be economically feasible and convenient.

But other than those 2 things, I agree with you. California has p*ssed away its prosperity and many Californians are still in denial about it.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
California is much like the nation itself. While both have not lived up to their potential, I think they are still the best going. I am a native Californian. Economics aside, I think that the natural beauty of California is unrivaled. Much of that, of course, has to do with the sheer size of the state.

I do understand your feelings though.

Climate and scenery are great. But they only go so far. At some point we are going to have to humble ourselves and admit we have been screwing up big time....or down the line we will be in an even worse situation than we're already in.

This is also true for the US as a whole. We've become complacent, severely underestimating the amount of effort and sacrifice it takes to have a truly prosperous economy.

I'm pretty much in the camp that thinks the US is going to need another Great Depression, massive war, natural disaster, or some other calamity to happen before we truly wake up and start cooperating with each other.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's the geography and location that guarentee it WON'T turn into something too awful!
Tell everyone that after the big earquake(s) hit, which both NorCal and SoCal are overdue for.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:00 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,726,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Something reminiscent of Gollum that's always on your tail ready to snap at anything you post regardless of its merits, also known as an unpleasant, ectothermic aquatic vertebrate with a propensity for nipping.
Ah, yes, got it.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:24 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Yawn, Illegal immigrations upsets those who want to be upset by illegal immigration. Quit complaining about it and do something about it. Thousands of soft pudgy white people complaining about illegal immigration accomplishes nothing.
And just what would you suggest we do about it? The politicians of BOTH parties have given the problem only casual attention. Without the political will, law enforcement can do but token enforcement. It is the cavalier attitude of persons like yourself toward Californias problems that, as you say, accomplishes nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California