Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2010, 10:33 PM

4 posts, read 16,234 times

Advertisements

Hey all- I just took a job in Modesto and need advise on where to live. I'm a single upper 20s gal who is looking to live somewhere safe that also will let me meet folks.

I'm split on if I should live in Modesto (if so what parts do you recommend for me?) or closer to where I can get into San Fran easy on the BART (like Pleasanton or somewhere inbetween). I don't want to have a HUGE commute but I'm okay with an hour or so.

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 11:00 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,237,252 times
lol

Old 01-06-2010, 03:11 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,791,761 times
Just find somewhere in Modesto.

Just because people in Chicago like spending their time commuting, it doesn't mean that you have to do the same when you move to Modesto. Living on the outskirts of the SF Bay Area and commuting to Modesto is beyond ridiculous.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:06 AM

thanks David, I had heard there are certain areas that are better than others in Modesto but not specifics... would you recommend any area in particular?

Old 01-06-2010, 10:21 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,791,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtchicagogal View Post
thanks David, I had heard there are certain areas that are better than others in Modesto but not specifics... would you recommend any area in particular?
No, actually I don't know Modesto well enough to recommend anywhere.

There are others here on the forum with more knowledge about the city, who will hopefully chime in soon.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:29 AM

4 posts, read 44,078 times
I've lived in Modesto most of my life. Avoid areas near Yosemite Ave, and So. 9th St. Also avoid South Santa Cruz Ave. neighborhoods. All of these neighborhoods are the lower quality (ie drugs and gangs). If you're looking for somewhere nice and still in the "city", there are quaint little houses available in the downtown area (around 15th st or off McHenry Ave); or if you don't mind the suburbs, then there are nicer homes & apartments available in north Modesto, (Pelandale Ave, Standiford/Sylvan Ave). Plenty of choices depending on what you're looking for. Near Hwy 99 is always helpful, because 99 will take you North or South through the Central Valley and connect you to I-5 & 205 to go to BART & Bay Area. If you're looking outside Modesto and commuting, I recommend Turlock, Salida or Riverbank. All nice places to live. Not much to do, but nice neighborhoods for sure. Good luck!

Old 01-15-2010, 05:01 PM

405 posts, read 1,340,191 times
Modesto is one of the worst cities in the valley... if not the king. I have friends in Salida and Turlock... both are better but you're in for some culture shock. Hope you're ready. Manteca and Tracy put you closer to 'the bay area'... Tracy being little more than a commuter town, but maybe a local here/there can say if you'd be going against the commute.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:39 AM

1 posts, read 4,225 times
Depending on where a person originally comes from, Modesto could be considered rough, I guess. With you being a single female you will want to avoid West and South Modesto. ImMom2AnC suggests decent areas.

If you're thinking about Pleasanton, check into Tracy and Dublin as well. All 3 of those cities have BART stations. I drive to Pleasanton weekly from Modesto; it takes me 1 hour without traffic. Rent is higher in Pleasanton compared to Modesto.

Another suggestion: check Megan's Law (California Megan's Law - California Department of Justice - Office of the Attorney General) before you decide on a place to rent.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:31 PM

405 posts, read 1,340,191 times
Cement is putting it mildly. Homes in Pleasanton start at $500k. Homes in Modesto start at $150k. If you're somewhere in between, try Livermore, which is the poor neighbor of Pleasanton. You won't get much for the money but needing less space will help you. I think Dublin's growth has put it out of reach. Having said that, they're neat towns if you can afford it.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:26 PM

Thanks everyone! I decided to rent for 6 months in Northern Modesto to get my bearings... I know it will be much different than Chicago for sure! I really appreciate everyone's suggestions and I look forward to moving to MUCH warmer weather!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California