Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 05:43 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times

Advertisements

It cost over 50k a yr to house a prisoner in ca. In tx & fl its 19k a year. The ca prison union are VERY powerful & own the legislature. A lady told me that 75% of the 50k goes towards the prison guards salaries. The avg salary is 70k a year with excellent benefits & pension. This is one of many reasons why ca is in a 20 billion dollar deficit. I believe its going to get alot worse in ca before it starts to get better. Something has got to done & now. Enough is enough. We need a govenor/legislature that will stand up to the prison, public & teachers union in ca. Their answer to everything is just raise taxes which they will try again this year. DISCUSTNG!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 10:09 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
We currently have the only Governor to stand up to these crooks and they actually tried to recall him b/c of it. That is why NO ONE will ever try touch the prison guards b/c they will do everything they can to get you out of office. Everytime they try to reform this union, whoever is in charge quits. They are by far the most corrupt, wasteful union in Ca and that says a lot. They guards will sleep at the prison and collect overtime for it.

Arnold tries at least but there is only so much you can do with our legislature. This is why I like Arnold and feel people don't give him the credit he deserves:
Gov. vs. prison guards: a test of wills - Los Angeles Times

Just look at how much their pay has risen in the past decade:
Prison guards lock up bundle in OT pay | The San Diego Union-Tribune

I hate these prison guards more than any other public union in Ca. As much as I hate CA's prop system it might be the only means of doing something about these crooks b/c every politician is too scared to touch them. Once Arnold is gone NO ONE will even attempt to do anything. They have too much damn money and power, it really is quite disgusting.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:04 PM

Its a damn shame ca is so corrupt. Its a beautiful state with some of the best weather in the nation yet these bums (incl the legislature & illegal alians) ruin it for everyone.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:18 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
It cost over 50k a yr to house a prisoner in ca. In tx & fl its 19k a year. The ca prison union are VERY powerful & own the legislature. A lady told me that 75% of the 50k goes towards the prison guards salaries. The avg salary is 70k a year with excellent benefits & pension. This is one of many reasons why ca is in a 20 billion dollar deficit. I believe its going to get alot worse in ca before it starts to get better. Something has got to done & now. Enough is enough. We need a govenor/legislature that will stand up to the prison, public & teachers union in ca. Their answer to everything is just raise taxes which they will try again this year. DISCUSTNG!!!!
Usually, I would be the first to agree with you about government waste, but not when it comes to the prisons and the guards.

Prison guards imo should get paid MORE than cops for the simple fact they are in super close proximity to these animals on a daily basis and are severely outnumbered.

California prisons especially overcrowded and undermanned. They house the largest prison population in the country and for A REASON. COs are constantly watching back and scared to death.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:36 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Usually, I would be the first to agree with you about government waste, but not when it comes to the prisons and the guards.

Prison guards imo should get paid MORE than cops for the simple fact they are in super close proximity to these animals on a daily basis and are severely outnumbered.

California prisons especially overcrowded and undermanned. They house the largest prison population in the country and for A REASON. COs are constantly watching back and scared to death.
Please..... cops have it much worse than these prison guards. When is the last time you heard of a prison guard dying on the job? It happens several times a year with cops in Ca. They control these animals in a controlled environment, unlike cops who are out on the street. These prison guards should have their salaries cut significantly.

"Outnumbered"? And cops aren't? At least these guards have a sniper waiting as back up and many other methods that keep the prisonsoners under control.

These guards are corrupt as all hell and don't deserve half of what they get from taxpayers. yeah sleeping on the job and collecting overtime, being able to call in sick without any reason, etc.. yeah what a "tough" job they have. Give me a break, these guards, or at least their union, are crooks themselves.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:18 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
We currently have the only Governor to stand up to these crooks and they actually tried to recall him b/c of it. That is why NO ONE will ever try touch the prison guards b/c they will do everything they can to get you out of office. Everytime they try to reform this union, whoever is in charge quits. They are by far the most corrupt, wasteful union in Ca and that says a lot. They guards will sleep at the prison and collect overtime for it.

Arnold tries at least but there is only so much you can do with our legislature. This is why I like Arnold and feel people don't give him the credit he deserves:
Gov. vs. prison guards: a test of wills - Los Angeles Times

Just look at how much their pay has risen in the past decade:
Prison guards lock up bundle in OT pay | The San Diego Union-Tribune

I hate these prison guards more than any other public union in Ca. As much as I hate CA's prop system it might be the only means of doing something about these crooks b/c every politician is too scared to touch them. Once Arnold is gone NO ONE will even attempt to do anything. They have too much damn money and power, it really is quite disgusting.

I can vouch for this. I worked in a prison for a year in the mid 1990s (not as a guard--it was just a one year contract for me). Even then the prison guards received unbelievable salaries and benefits. I agree they are the most corrupt union, although many police and fire departments aren't far behind.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

They have it better than prison guards in any other state. Even when you adjust for the high cost of living in CA, they have it very good. It's true, it's a crappy job. But when you compare what CA prison guards make compared with similar jobs in other states, the salary and benefits they make here are just out in the stratosphere. It's just a fact. California is literally on the financial edge. At some point, if the voting public does not speak out about this kind of stuff, California will indeed end up like Michigan or even worse.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Please..... cops have it much worse than these prison guards. When is the last time you heard of a prison guard dying on the job? It happens several times a year with cops in Ca. They control these animals in a controlled environment, unlike cops who are out on the street. These prison guards should have their salaries cut significantly.

"Outnumbered"? And cops aren't? At least these guards have a sniper waiting as back up and many other methods that keep the prisonsoners under control.

These guards are corrupt as all hell and don't deserve half of what they get from taxpayers. yeah sleeping on the job and collecting overtime, being able to call in sick without any reason, etc.. yeah what a "tough" job they have. Give me a break, these guards, or at least their union, are crooks themselves.
Personally, I don't think our hearts should bleed for the cops, firemen, or prison guards. Their salaries and benefits have been out of line for years now. It's time the California taxpayers spoke out about this.

I'm not saying the other civil service unions shouldn't need to take their lumps. But the focus needs to be on the worst offenders. And what happens is....when the cops, firemen, and prison guards take some serious lumps, all the other unions fall into line quickly, because they always use these 3 as a basis for comparison. A typical scenario in the late 1990s or early 2000s would go like this: "The cops got a 5% raise this year and we got gypped because we only got a 4% raise". Never mind that probably most people in the private sector were getting raises of 3% or less which sometimes was not enough to cover the higher cost of their health insurance premiums.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:46 PM

The prison guards are glorified adult babysitters. I knew a lady who was (or still is) a prison guard at chino. She thought she was all that & mocked me cause i was in the army. Im pretty much 100% positive army basic training & miitary life is MUCH tougher then correctional officer training/life. She was a smartass ***** & her bf was a prison guard as well(another asswipe). Needless to say i never talked to her again. I bet she enjoyed watching the male prisoners strip & take showers. Chino prison in chino,ca is a cesspool full of lowlives & scum of the earth.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:18 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
i agree with mysticaltiger. i have a friend who is a firefighter and has been making a comfortable 6 figure salary since he was 25. sure he did go through some training, had to take college classes to get the job, and faces inherent danger on a regular basis, but i really don't think that's enough to justify the salaries these guys receive. the amount of overtime he gets is crazy from what he tells me. ot has been held back because of the economic pinch that his city is in, but they were paying out firefighters willy nilly for the longest time. it needs to stop. you'd think that with such high demand for firefighting jobs that cities could actually supress salaries to reduce the number of candidates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California