Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 10:35 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,149 times

Advertisements

Eureka has released new figures on the cost of the damage, they are now saying up to $28,000,000 [ 28 million ]. There are only just over 28,000 people in Eureka, that comes to $1000 per citizen. Again that is just Eureka and does not include all of the other towns like Arcata, Fortuna, McKinleyville and Ferndale and many of the little burgs around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 07:15 AM

9 posts, read 41,417 times
Default Eureka earthquake

I grew up in Eureka. Loved that town. It has turned into a cesspool of drugs, crime (lots) and perverts. It should have been shook into the Pacific by that earthquake. Everything is expensive...drive by shootings and murders are common and drugs are everywhere. It's too bad....the town had turned into a social mess! Im glad I left. You can have it.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:32 AM

21 posts, read 62,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiat View Post
I grew up in Eureka. Loved that town. It has turned into a cesspool of drugs, crime (lots) and perverts. It should have been shook into the Pacific by that earthquake. Everything is expensive...drive by shootings and murders are common and drugs are everywhere. It's too bad....the town had turned into a social mess! Im glad I left. You can have it.
I would wholly agree with the idea that everything is expensive. That is why the internet is putting everyone out of business up here. Drive-bys and murders? I been here 25 year+ and this area is nothing like San Jose or the East Bay! The real downside here is getting quality service, (of any kind) but I will take my business South and relish that we have no traffic or smog compared to the rest of the state.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:18 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,624,498 times
I read where all the Sea Lions that had been in San Francisco Bay for 20 years, moved to Florence, OR caves.

Makes me wonder if they sensed something would be happening in the near future....

Perhaps an event of Nature. An Earthquake.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:06 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I read where all the Sea Lions that had been in San Francisco Bay for 20 years, moved to Florence, OR caves.

Makes me wonder if they sensed something would be happening in the near future....

Perhaps an event of Nature. An Earthquake.
We've discussed that on this thread and another one that was specifically about the s.f. sea lions.
//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...sea-lions.html
But it doesn't really make sense to me because some went south to the Monterey Bay and the others went north to Oregon.
Wasn't the earthquake closer to where they ended up in Oregon than S.F?
I dunno ... haven't looked at a map recently.
Anyway, on the sea lion thread it was explained that it's this years El Nino that has most likely interrupted their pattern.
But there have been El Ninos that didn't move them from their S.F. locale but apparently this one is different?
It's explained better on that thread i linked you to.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:35 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,624,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
We've discussed that on this thread and another one that was specifically about the s.f. sea lions.
//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...sea-lions.html
But it doesn't really make sense to me because some went south to the Monterey Bay and the others went north to Oregon.
Wasn't the earthquake closer to where they ended up in Oregon than S.F?
I dunno ... haven't looked at a map recently.
Anyway, on the sea lion thread it was explained that it's this years El Nino that has most likely interrupted their pattern.
But there have been El Ninos that didn't move them from their S.F. locale but apparently this one is different?
It's explained better on that thread i linked you to.

Thankyou sister Coyoteskye. I don't know, it just seems odd to me. Their moving after living there 20 years.

In 1989 i was outside fishin' at a farm pond between San Juan Bautista & Prunedale, during the Loma Prieta earthquake. It was a bad one.

Have a Beautiful Day.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:57 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,201,760 times
Wife, daughter and son's girlfriend were in Kohl's Dept. Store in Eureka. Ceiling started falling, stuff flying off shelves. They got out, daughter realized she'd just "shoplifted" an armload of clothes and dropped everything in the parking lot.

I was at Woodley Island changing the oil in the boat. I thought 1.) the San Fran sea lions had found my swim platform (they like it) 2.) The crab guys were messing with my bow or 3.) someone rammed me. It started slow, then the boat snap rolled 45 degrees. I heard a rumble, then a VERY loud explosion. I thought something on the boat exploded at one point. Talk about a totally helpless feeling. And my brother in law had taken the car somewhere and I was stuck in the "zone."

Then we fly home on the 10th and Haiti gets here in the Caribbean. Maybe we should just move back to Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California