Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 05:39 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
And I remember hearing from folks that surviving with 125K in Cali is a nightmare even.
Define what you mean-CA is huge and varied. Once you get out of the Bay Area (and other coastal urban areas) you can live like a king in CA on $125K-even if your a family of four. 125K/year is three times the median income of my area.

The median home price in my area is 200K and even less in the Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 09:43 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
From the limited knowledge that I have, it seems that new job offer salaries right now in LA/OC/SoCal are no higher than Denver for an equivalent level position/company.

For your information, Irvine is basically the OC equivalent of Greenwood Village. Hope that helps.
Definitely helps, Vegas. I still love GV even after the home being broken into

But my eventual ambitions lie either in Cali or NY state. My entire career was spent dreaming on these 2 states.

I really hope my negotiations go well. Irvine looks better to me, personally. But I also have some evil motives of securing one of these jobs and bargain my present position in CO. As they always say, they only pander to a guy who suddenly decides to leave.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:46 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Define what you mean-CA is huge and varied. Once you get out of the Bay Area (and other coastal urban areas) you can live like a king in CA on $125K-even if your a family of four. 125K/year is three times the median income of my area.

The median home price in my area is 200K and even less in the Valley.
Thanks, that makes me feel better. I bet the girlfriend can find a job and I hope she can also find a place for her pit bull (this is causing a problem in CO, where they are banned)

But my panic factor is generally stoked by the people I talk to. I mostly talk to my Indian circles living in CA and they paint a pretty bizarre picture about Cali that one gets killed if not for a healthy paycheque. That's the source of my confusion. The first thing I hear from them is that the cost of living is way too high.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Consider me blind to Californian lifestyle.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:41 PM

405 posts, read 1,345,327 times
If you don't have to buy a house... $150k allows you to rent anywhere here. If you don't want to be a city dweller, maybe San Mateo or Foster City? If you're more liberal and/or Bohemian, perhaps the Alameda/Berkeley area across the bay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California