Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 07:06 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,781 times

Advertisements

I know a lot of people from North Carolina that relocated to California and people that have relocated from Cali to North Carolina for 'affordability'. How do you feel about your decision to move to Calfornia or North Carolina.......Any regrets.....Do you miss it...Would you go back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 02:31 PM

Just thought I would resurrect this thread.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:30 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,733,397 times
are you thinking of moving to north carolina, i'm guessing you are already on the west coast according to your user name...

Old 08-15-2010, 04:22 PM

249 posts, read 392,502 times
I am a native Californian that relocated to NC in 1998. I miss the California weather and diverse geography. NC has changed considerably in the last 12 years, more and more transplants from the Midwest ( Ohio) and Northeast ( NY, NJ ) which I believe has had an overall positive impact in improving the quality of life here ( shopping, restaurants, cultural amenities) but at the cost of slightly worse traffic. When I visit California I notice the crowding, a large number of " foreigners" , and a general lack of friendliness as if people are too consumed with trying to survive that they are too busy /pre occupied to acknowledge/render common courtesy. With that said if I could find a way to make a decent living I would return to Coastal California in a heartbeat.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
are you thinking of moving to north carolina, i'm guessing you are already on the west coast according to your user name...
Actually no...in NC..but thinking about relocating out West....Even though was raised on the East coast...Im a 'westcoast' chic at heart.......Love everything about the westcoast....Scenery/Diversity/Cultural Things to To.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:26 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I know a lot of people from North Carolina that relocated to California and people that have relocated from Cali to North Carolina for 'affordability'. How do you feel about your decision to move to Calfornia or North Carolina.......Any regrets.....Do you miss it...Would you go back?
Now that it's been resurrected, back to the OP's original issue.

My college sweetheart was raised in Charlotte. Once she finished high school there, her parents moved the family to SoCal. We met in college and during the two years we dated, before I enlisted in the military for Vietnam, she couldn't say enough about Charlotte and how she was a southern girl at heart and how much she missed it. Unfortunately (or maybe not) she dumped me with a Dear John while I was headed overseas and we lost contact.

I actually stumbled across her last year, 43 three years later. At various times in between I'd tried to find her but couldn't. She moved back to Charlotte several years ago, divorced and is perfectly happy to be there. It's where she always belonged.

When I remarried in 1996, following my own divorce, my wife and I looked hard at NC as a retirement location. I'd lived there twice in the past. A few years later it seemed that NC was "discovered" by Californians who flocked there and the housing prices rose appreciably.

Obviously that's ot where we ended up and we have no regrets about where we did..

Old 08-16-2010, 06:30 AM

889 posts, read 3,116,520 times
I am a born and raised California girl who took the plunge and left 4 years ago for North Carolina.Not an easy decision to make after 45 years of living on the beautiful Monterey Penninsula.Some people said we were nuts, "you dont follow you kids"( thats why we went)etc.
It has and continues to be an experience i would not trade for anything.
Dont get me wrong its not perfect, in fact learning the ins and outs of the "southern" mindset has at times been challenging as opposed to the more should i say either "liberal" or just plain "who cares,laid back attitude" in California that i am accustomed to.
It is different of course but i came open minded and realized people here have their ways right,wrong or indifferent.
I happen to enjoy the summer heat,the sounds of the Cicada's and the glow of fireflys instead of cold,drizzle fog you get living on the coast almost all summer long.The warm weather brings neighbors outside, kids playing outside all day everyday in the summer it just reminds me of the 60's and 70's in California that some how went by the wayside somewhere along the line.
Yes i miss the winter weather that California has to offer but it is not bad at all and the few times it snows here for the winter, i just love that.I do miss the coastal areas and the mountainous terrain thats makes California so unique.
I cant say i wont return to California because of so much family and friends there but i am happy i have expanded my horizons and ventured outside my comfort zone just to see how life is elsewhere.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:56 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,733,397 times
Quote:
Actually no...in NC..but thinking about relocating out West....Even though was raised on the East coast...Im a 'westcoast' chic at heart.......Love everything about the westcoast....Scenery/Diversity/Cultural Things to To.
well i'm a west coast girl who moved out east! do it, you only live once, if you don't like it, you can always go back! good luck!

Old 08-16-2010, 08:46 AM

889 posts, read 3,116,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
well i'm a west coast girl who moved out east! do it, you only live once, if you don't like it, you can always go back! good luck!

Agree with you totally,if you dont like it you can always go back!!!

Old 08-16-2010, 12:08 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Have you lived on the Westcoast or just visited? I am not taking sides, the 2 coasts are very different, each with it's personality, pros and cons, I am just saying, do not think you are a "westcaost" chic as you put it just from a little research or a visit for a few days. I have lived on both coasts (not the Carolinas I will add) and visit L.A. often. When I visit L.A. I love every minute, it brings back memories of being a child there. And yes, it is diverse, has culture (most places really do if you look hard enough) and of course is a beautiful state. Unfortunately, I know living there goes much deeper than the charm of visiting occassionally. I guess it is like NYC, Vegas, San Francisco and a few other places: a great place to spend a vacation, full of energy, but not necessarily the best place to live. Now, as far as going west, if you are young, have or can get a good job in Ca, do not have a lot of bills, you will only know for sure what is right for you by giving it a try. My only point, don't put too much into what you see through your rose colored glasses.
Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California