Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 03:17 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times

Advertisements

Only once in the last year and it was to report a couch that I saw fall off the back of a truck on the freeway... the 911 operator thanked me for calling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 03:51 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,725,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I use the phone all the time. I have a bluetooth as well and can call anyone on my list by voice. It is so cool the technology that we have now. For me I don't see it as any differant than having someone else along for the ride. With the bluetooth you are totally hands free. I am an attentive driver that has only had a wreck while sleeping at the wheel. Now sleeping while driving is something that you should never try.
It's better to have your hands free but still, it's not the same as driving and talking to your passenger.
It's about, as much as free hands, where ones attention is ... how present one is.
When you're talking to a passenger in your car, you're there ... the communication is happening in the same space and your attention ... your conscious awareness ... is more focused in that space that you are both occupying together.
Also, if you have a passenger, he/she is there with you and, consciously or not, he / she is, to some degree at least, aware of what is happening with your driving and with what is happening on the road around you.
If a pedestrian darts out into the road, you've got a second pair of eyes that may spot the person before you do.
So, as i see it, it's not the same.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:19 PM

160 posts, read 865,696 times
I have a bluetooth and still don't use the phone while driving unless there is something very important that cannot wait. But what do you say about people texting while driving??? It just scares the hell out of me. You can see them wondering on different lanes at high speed...

Old 01-26-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveCali View Post
I have a bluetooth and still don't use the phone while driving unless there is something very important that cannot wait. But what do you say about people texting while driving??? It just scares the hell out of me. You can see them wondering on different lanes at high speed...
Yep, it's crazy.
And it's like no-one knows how to just be with themselves for a relatively short period of time ... always gotta be plugged in ... kinda borg-ish.
The Transportation Dept. just banned texting for commercial bus and truck drivers today.
Transportation Dept. bans commerical bus and truck drivers from texting

Old 01-26-2010, 05:02 PM

364 posts, read 611,134 times
Talking while holding the phone is no more hazardous than talking hands free. It's the loss of concentation that counts. Stupid nanny laws - even Arnies bride doesn't follow them.

But the rest of you sheeple can feel good like you're doing something worthwhile. If they tell you to wear two left shoes are you gonna?

Old 01-26-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine7793 View Post
Talking while holding the phone is no more hazardous than talking hands free. It's the loss of concentation that counts. Stupid nanny laws - even Arnies bride doesn't follow them.

But the rest of you sheeple can feel good like you're doing something worthwhile. If they tell you to wear two left shoes are you gonna?
I would tend to classify you as one of the "sheeple" ... actually ... borged ... brainwashed/duped by the dominant culture ... consumer driven ... can't be with yourself ... silent ... alone ... within your own field of awareness ... need constant communication with the flock ... constant validation from others ... that you exist ... an so on.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:52 PM

75 posts, read 592,828 times
Quote:

I wouldn't use my cell phone even if they told me to. Life and the lives of people who are driving near me are more important than increasing the risk I'll mess up while driving.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay123 View Post
I wouldn't use my cell phone even if they told me to. Life and the lives of people who are driving near me are more important than increasing the risk I'll mess up while driving.
Yeah, forget about the politics of it.
It's just about common sense and caring.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:16 PM

527 posts, read 1,323,782 times
I try not to make calls while driving, but if its important enough then I'll answer a call if it means not having to miss it and then fumble around with the phone trying to dial the number back. I don't know...
some people drive remarkably better than most even while talking on a phone...

and then there are those who can be 100% sober, no phone, both hands on the wheel and end up being the one who can't drive and run into other people or things.

And then to be fair there are those who wouldn't have caused an accident if they weren't looking down at their iphone loading an app.

Point is it's good forward thinking to try to make people recognize that it does help some people drive more conciously because they need it. For the others, I'm sure it doesn't mean much.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:02 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,528,703 times
Quote:

Is 'sheeple' in the dictionary? Are they related to lemmings?

Good one, Sunshine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California