Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 12:00 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Maybe Linda Ronstadt's bankrolling him hoping for a come-back!
Probably.lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 12:59 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I am amazed that people are considering the has been govenor again. Do we not learn anything from the past? One thing is for sure if we don't study history it will repeat itself, guess that is what is happeing here.

Do people realize that after Browns dad left office we were almost broke. When Reagan left we had a big surplus. When the Younger Brown came into office after Reagan we ended up spending the surplus that Reagan left us.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:38 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,280 times
Do people realize that's not how politics works?

Obama didn't get elected because everyone liked his ideas. He got elected because he was a Black man who wasn't a Bush.

Same thing with Arnold. He didn't get elected to replace Davis because everyone thought he could "fix" the state. He got elected because everyone knew who he was and carried a substantial amount of "wow...a movie star for Governor" star appeal. Even though McClintock was clearly the superior choice.

And so the next election will be decided: What name carries the most familiarity, who meets the preferred age/gender/race criteria. Or all of the above.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. When I see both sides of the aisle crossing "lines" (i.e. Boxer and Feinstein losing the most heavily in the Bay area while simultaneously winning OC), THEN I'll take this "We've had enough" rhetoric seriously.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:47 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I am amazed that people are considering the has been govenor again. Do we not learn anything from the past? One thing is for sure if we don't study history it will repeat itself, guess that is what is happeing here.
Many of the citizens that will vote for Brown either were not born yet or were very young during his time as governor (1975-1983). With some exceptions, persons in this age group have no sense of history, have no interest in it, and will not bother to learn about it. A commentary about our times perhaps, but sad but true.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:12 PM

838 posts, read 922,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If Brown wins I doubt we will even return to CA for a visit...

Nita
Thanks for the humour and who could disagree. There are many reasons not to visit CA including violence and lack of English, I was thinking of Ark. as a possibility.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Many of the citizens that will vote for Brown either were not born yet or were very young during his time as governor (1975-1983). With some exceptions, persons in this age group have no sense of history, have no interest in it, and will not bother to learn about it. A commentary about our times perhaps, but sad but true.
Yes, no one would vote for Brown who has memory function left and was around here when he was governor. Nothing has improved since. His take on what drug addiction is awhile back was totally ignorant, it infuriated and shocked many people.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:19 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsicmovies View Post
Yes, no one would vote for Brown who has memory function left and was around here when he was governor. Nothing has improved since. His take on what drug addiction is awhile back was totally ignorant, it infuriated and shocked many people.
Respectfully, what are you talking about? What was Jerry Brown's "take on drug addiction"? You may be surprised that since Brown was governor California has had 3 Republican governors [including the current governor] & only 1 Democratic governor who was kicked out for being totally incompetent. California voters decided several years ago to put druggies in residential treatment centers instead of prison & recently 6000 prisoners have been released from prison because they are drug addicts not necessarily criminals. What "totally ignorant" thing are you referring to? Or is it just projection?

Old 04-10-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Respectfully, what are you talking about? What was Jerry Brown's "take on drug addiction"? You may be surprised that since Brown was governor California has had 3 Republican governors [including the current governor] & only 1 Democratic governor who was kicked out for being totally incompetent. California voters decided several years ago to put druggies in residential treatment centers instead of prison & recently 6000 prisoners have been released from prison because they are drug addicts not necessarily criminals. What "totally ignorant" thing are you referring to? Or is it just projection?
Jerry Brown comments on drug addiction wrong, he doesn't believe in the science of drug addiction that's proved to be a disease with PET at Brookhaven www.bnl.gov Brown so against mandatory rehab for drug addicts in last proposition election here in CA. a year or two ago. The prop failed unfortunately. Brown's words are the opposite of the truth and reality on this subject. The problem is addicts for years are simply told of rehab offer and that if they go to jail they can get out in a few days. Prosecutors have told me this and so have PD's. Celebrities treated different, often ordered mandatory rehab. As the watch commander of main L.A. county jail twin towers told me when I called as to why addict inmates walk out of jail drugged, he admitted a long story to my surprise saying "It's commonplace that drugs are plentiful in jail and prisons and that most drugs are brought in by employees!! and volunteers, and inmates then bring drugs to court regularly for their friends in court holding cells (hidden in cavities)." I felt sick at all this and detailed points. I was glad he told me the truth. I've seen inmates often come into court room barely able to walk very drugged and judges and everyone shocked/embarrassed but not a word said but 'good luck' by judge. SO, no keeping drugs out of jails (glass partitions) and prisons when all they need is airport type security, or a dog or two at jail entrances! Ireland has this now. Jails have tons of security cameras but ignore drug use. Without drug addicts, the jails, prisons, courtrooms would be almost empty, law enforcement not a big business any more. Government needs lots of drugs coming from Mexico to keep addicts addicted and law enforcement in big business. The truth. P.S. what does your name here, californio and sur, mean? Thanks.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:08 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsicmovies View Post
Jerry Brown comments on drug addiction wrong, he doesn't believe in the science of drug addiction that's proved to be a disease with PET at Brookhaven www.bnl.gov Brown so against mandatory rehab for drug addicts in last proposition election here in CA. a year or two ago. The prop failed unfortunately. Brown's words are the opposite of the truth and reality on this subject. The problem is addicts for years are simply told of rehab offer and that if they go to jail they can get out in a few days. Prosecutors have told me this and so have PD's. Celebrities treated different, often ordered mandatory rehab. As the watch commander of main L.A. county jail twin towers told me when I called as to why addict inmates walk out of jail drugged, he admitted a long story to my surprise saying "It's commonplace that drugs are plentiful in jail and prisons and that most drugs are brought in by employees!! and volunteers, and inmates then bring drugs to court regularly for their friends in court holding cells (hidden in cavities)." I felt sick at all this and detailed points. I was glad he told me the truth. I've seen inmates often come into court room barely able to walk very drugged and judges and everyone shocked/embarrassed but not a word said but 'good luck' by judge. SO, no keeping drugs out of jails (glass partitions) and prisons when all they need is airport type security, or a dog or two at jail entrances! Ireland has this now. Jails have tons of security cameras but ignore drug use. Without drug addicts, the jails, prisons, courtrooms would be almost empty, law enforcement not a big business any more. Government needs lots of drugs coming from Mexico to keep addicts addicted and law enforcement in big business. The truth. P.S. what does your name here, californio and sur, mean? Thanks.
I am not very knowledgeable about the subject you are addressing. I just thought that California was one of the more enlightened states in dealing with drug offenders.

My name means: Californian from the south or just southern Californian in Spanish [Spanish put the adjective after the noun].

Old 04-10-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I am not very knowledgeable about the subject you are addressing. I just thought that California was one of the more enlightened states in dealing with drug offenders.

My name means: Californian from the south or just southern Californian in Spanish [Spanish put the adjective after the noun].

So sur is south, thank you. You'd think CA would be enlightened with tons of addicts, drug dealers, cartels, to keep drugs out of jails, but no. While we are now obliterating all the poppy fields in Afghanastan, hope they would also help us out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California