Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2010, 03:08 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard any specifics about the tenets of the projects? There is supposed to be a five story hotel, two resturaunts, and 18 speciality/clothing retail spots.

http://www.slocity.org/communitydeve...alAddendum.pdf

Most agree, Chinatown looks great - Local - SanLuisObispo.com

From what I gather, the Chinatown project is going to be another lifestyle center like the Court Street Center and Downtown Center except for having more square footage, so there will be more high-end retail shops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 08:27 AM

169 posts, read 764,423 times
The project just got final approval, but Copeland doesn't have the money to start everything right away. He is going to start piece meal: The Sauer Building, retrofitting Muzio's, etc.
Scheduled to break ground this spring, but we'll see.
It isn't going to be 5 stories, the city made them cut it down to 50 feet high.
He is taking away a public parking lot and building underground parking; unfortunately the parking will be just for the residents and guests of the hotel, condos, and retail. Bummer for an already tight downtown parking situation.
Chinatown construction is scheduled to take over two and a half years; putting my little business (which is right in the middle of it) out of business.
I have tried for over a year and a half to talk with the Copelands about what they are doing. I have yet to get a call back.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:59 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
So the 2 city owned parking structures arent sufficient? When I lived in SLO and worked part time at the structures, Thursday farmers market seemed to be the only time when there wasnt enough parking downtown. Has downtown business picked up alot since I left 13 years ago?

Old 02-03-2010, 10:10 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,519,970 times
Yup.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:54 PM

Does Copeland have anyone signed up for his project? Hotel, retail stores, or resturaunts?

Old 07-23-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSmiling View Post
The project just got final approval, but Copeland doesn't have the money to start everything right away. He is going to start piece meal: The Sauer Building, retrofitting Muzio's, etc.
Scheduled to break ground this spring, but we'll see.
It isn't going to be 5 stories, the city made them cut it down to 50 feet high.
He is taking away a public parking lot and building underground parking; unfortunately the parking will be just for the residents and guests of the hotel, condos, and retail. Bummer for an already tight downtown parking situation.
Chinatown construction is scheduled to take over two and a half years; putting my little business (which is right in the middle of it) out of business.
I have tried for over a year and a half to talk with the Copelands about what they are doing. I have yet to get a call back.
I heard construction is going to start in Fall and will be finished in two years. I 2 have tried to talk to the Copelands. I went to their office and personally delivered a letter. I emailed and all. Never heard anything.

I heard when this project and the Garden Street Terrace project is finished SLO will have Whole Foods and more designer clothing stores and the downtown is supposed to be heading in a more uppity direction. I mean our city manager is from Beverley Hills.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:31 PM

So is this project going to be considered a lifestyle center? It looks alot like the Claremont Village Square.

At 192,000 sq. ft. it seems like a lifestyle center.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:46 PM

Anymore discussion about the chinatown project?

Old 02-14-2011, 11:55 PM

157 posts, read 504,632 times
I was born and raised in SLO, left there decades ago, have gone through very seldom in the intervening years. Quite frankly, I don't like much of what I have seen. There was a Chinese restaurant in that general area where we frequently ate when I was a child. I find it hard to think of anything replacing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California