Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 02:18 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,521,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The idea that the Northeastern Liberal is comparable to the Western Liberal is not true. Northeasterners would never accept the freakshow that goes on every day in much of California.
Your inference is that the freakshow is a "Western Liberal" thing. I merely pointed out that a freakshow does not need to be either Western nor Liberal.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:34 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
So did I.

I was referring to the walking zombies that inhabit nearly every CA community... you don't see that on the east coast unless you go looking for it.
Did you say "zombies?" Watch this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM

Old 02-09-2010, 09:15 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
A lot of comments to sift through! Sorry to see some of the posts go off on a tangent. As I stated in OP going between NorCal foothills and would say Southern Maine, New Hampshire area. Politics aside, I guess it doesn't really matter which side my hat hangs on as the Government is dictating what they want to dictate. Been to both coasts often because of family. Curious how the children fared in moving situations. Do like four seasons, less population, less government, freedoms our forefathers granted us and quaint towns/villages vs. the hustle of urban cities and sprawl. Don't care which school my child attends as long as he learns to read, write and add 2 + 2. Would like to see a grade scale of A's and F's not pass 'em all. Like competition and striving to succeed, not all must play and pass. My wife and I will teach them right from wrong and don't need to be taken care of cradle to grave from the "state". Sorry I wasn't more specific in opening this topic. Thanks for all the insights!
I would move to wherever is closer to the kids grandparents. I would want them to be connected to the previous generation. JMO.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:21 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
[And it's precisely that sense of history and tradition that was a big part of my decision to uproot us from CA and head east! I find it grounding and comfortable.
Some of us, Curmudgeon, seek to have freedom in our thoughts and actions (and let others seek freedom in their thoughts and actions) as we grow older and realize we can't control everyone and everything while others seem to want and need that "grounding" and comfort zone you speak of. I do think that certain states are a better fit for each of us than others for this reason (and others).

To me, the words, "history and tradition" are code words for: "the glory days of yesteryear when certain groups of people held all money and wielded all the power."

Old 02-10-2010, 08:02 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Your inference is that the freakshow is a "Western Liberal" thing. I merely pointed out that a freakshow does not need to be either Western nor Liberal.
To add, it all depends on what one considers a "freak show." I do agree that in areas of the country where non-conformity is accepted, encouraged, and embraced, people feel more free to "be themselves." I do think that there are plenty of closet freaks (of all kinds and I mean ALL kinds) all over the country.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:11 AM

148 posts, read 224,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
To me, the words, "history and tradition" are code words for: "the glory days of yesteryear when certain groups of people held all money and wielded all the power."
Chuckle, chuckle.......Yeah, as opposed to the glory days of today when certain groups of people hold all the money and wield all the power.

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:08 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Some of us, Curmudgeon, seek to have freedom in our thoughts and actions (and let others seek freedom in their thoughts and actions) as we grow older and realize we can't control everyone and everything while others seem to want and need that "grounding" and comfort zone you speak of. I do think that certain states are a better fit for each of us than others for this reason (and others).

Exactly what I was thinking

Old 02-10-2010, 11:52 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
One thing I notice on this forum, and sometimes in person, is that many east coast people tend to be more judgmental and complain about everything more so than west coast natives.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:14 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
What code is that? I'm not familiar with it. To me it means the positive values of bygone years. I think our society has lost a great deal of civility over the decades and I find that unfortunate. I think historical preservation is important and I remember when "god and country" weren't under constant attack.

By the way, I'm also aware of the great strides this country and society have made in terms of equality and opportunity during the last four decades because I lived through all of them, plus some. I would also never wish to return to the cold war that was prevalent through my first 40 years of life and especially not the strains it caused during the 50s and 60s.

What I think there is less of is the independent, can do attitude that characterized America, especially during and after WW II. People took pride in standing on their own two feet and neither wanted government to prop up their lives nor had their hands out and while there has always been some degree of corporate greed (think mining companies and the railroad barons), todays corporate world has made it an art form.

Finally, the rampant partisanship infecting politics at all levels is revolting and I believe it had its genesis following Watergate. Add in the illness that is political correctness and the pandering it foments and the patient is on life support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Exactly what I was thinking
In this case you thought wrong!

Old 02-10-2010, 04:33 PM

122 posts, read 587,144 times
Quote:
You are viewing everything through the prism of haves vs. have-nots -- a materialistic worldview. Sadly, materialism destroys one no matter where he lies on the continuum. Whether envious or greedy, it's the same miserable fate, with only slight nuances distinguishing the two:

A life of misery wallowing in inadequacy, inferiority, and low self-worth for the former;

A life of misery and torment for the latter, and ultimately low self-worth, for there is always somebody more wealthy looking down at him, taunting him, and so he feels inadequate because he, like the former, also measures himself by comparison with others; he grows desperate because no amount of wealth is ever enough.

Last edited by Laocoön; 02-10-2010 at 04:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California