Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:46 PM

3 posts, read 7,312 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Fresno and after reading some earlier posts have found that North Fresno or Clovis is probably the area we will be looking to live. I would love it if someone could give me a tip on who to talk to (property managment companies, etc) that could help us find a nice neighborhood. I already know that people don't think highly of Fresno but I would like to hear about good neighborhoods to live in (including street names) or neighborhoods to stay away from (including street names). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 08:16 AM

764 posts, read 2,036,300 times
What's your budget? Are you renting or buying?

The 93720 zip code is a good place to start. Nice homes, good schools, amenities, etc.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:11 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,520,371 times
Aptos to Fresno? What ever on Earth for?

Old 02-09-2010, 11:07 AM

405 posts, read 1,345,327 times
You can't really even depend on zip codes for 'nice' around here. If you give me some specifics on what you want to spend, how much room you need, if schools are a concern, shopping, etc... I'm happy to help. In general terms, you do want north Fresno or Clovis, but there are nice pockets depending on your needs and desires.

Clarks has nothing better to do with his time than harass people.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:36 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,857 times
Adriatica and sms1967 asked most of my questions before I start making suggestions too.

The only additional question I might have is are you looking at renting an apartment or a single family home?

Old 02-09-2010, 03:59 PM

41 posts, read 139,728 times
I live about 60 miles north of Fresno in Turlock, and had always heard all the smack about how crappy Fresno was. I only visited occasionally.

Then I got a job in outside sales and had Fresno as one of my areas and spent about two years driving around the town...I found there were a lot of really nice neighborhoods in both the older parts of town as well as the newer sections.

My opinion of Fresno has changed completely since that experience. Should I ever get a job in town, I'll have no problems moving there.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:20 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichole2229 View Post
We are relocating to Fresno and after reading some earlier posts have found that North Fresno or Clovis is probably the area we will be looking to live. I would love it if someone could give me a tip on who to talk to (property managment companies, etc) that could help us find a nice neighborhood. I already know that people don't think highly of Fresno but I would like to hear about good neighborhoods to live in (including street names) or neighborhoods to stay away from (including street names). Thanks!
Anywhere north of Herndon Avenue is very nice. I have a few friends who live in the Herndon/Marks area and I really like that area. Also the Van Ness Extension is super nice. Clovis is livable. The areas around Clovis West and Buchanan high schools are great. Copper River and Woodward park neighborhoods are very nice. The people are friendly, upbeat, happy, and they like each other. Good luck.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:58 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,110 times
I do think Fresno has made a good attempt at turning things around as far as crime and reputation goes. It really isnt the same as it was 10-15 years ago. If the OP is moving from the clean air of Aptos to the Valley she may be disappointed with the air quality at times. North of Herndon is probably still the best part of town. One thing I always liked about Fresno was its proximity to 3 beautiful National Parks and all the outdoor recreational opportunities they provide. Good luck with your move!

Old 02-12-2010, 09:42 AM

We will be renting at first then looking to buy once we know the area better. I am in Fresno today and definately like the North East area and near Woodward Park is nice. There seems to be a lot of new developments. We are moving to Fresno because there aren't quality jobs in Santa Cruz and surprisingly the pay is similar in Fresno but of course the cost of living is about half.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:44 AM

Thank you Jay100, I will go look around Buchanan today. Very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California