Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 09:18 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Oh my.
Hmmmm.
Well, there are many people who see the "shadow side" of nationalism and patriotism (i'm one of them) and who also realize that war never, ever, ever brings peace.
A person can love this country but be radically opposed to war.
And a person can love their country without being "patriotic".
The problem (one of them) is that many of the folks who protest against war and against the military are not peaceful and are themselves full of hatred and violence and yet do not acknowledge it.
They are vile and worse than those they hate (imo) as they're hypocrites.
I have a friend who's father fought in Vietnam and during that time was in San Francisco (i guess on leave) and had pigs blood thrown on him by a protester.
That's close to unforgivable.
But there are many sane people (yes, even in Berkley) who are truly peaceful (or striving with all of their heart to be) and don't want to live in a world at war.
I don't know anyone who does.

I don't know who said or wrote it but one of my favorite quotes has always been: "The soldier, above all other men, hates war for he and he alone must suffer and bear the wounds and scars of combat."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 09:25 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I don't know anyone who does.

I don't know who said or wrote it but one of my favorite quotes has always been: "The soldier, above all other men, hates war for he and he alone must suffer and bear the wounds and scars of combat."
I appreciate that and i've heard quite a few military folks who sincerely express that and i believe them.
But why do young men (and women) join the armed forces?
I assume that many do so because they want an education? ... and joined during non-war times.
But it seems that there are a huge amount of young men who want to be part of war.
Also, are there any military minds that understand that war will never bring peace? ... no matter what the rationalizations are for any given military situation?

Old 02-14-2010, 09:41 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,519,970 times
boys must become men. In most societies boys become men through warfare. Our society is composed of Males in there 20's and 30's and on up who are still boys. They never went through the crucible. We try to replace war with sport, but, it isn't the same.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:42 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,519,970 times
Quote:
It would be helpful if the pooorster had all the facts. The City of Berkeley ordered its Fire Engines to remove Four foot by 6 foot cloth flags for one day until they installed smaller ones. They did this to prevent protesters from grabbing the flags and burning them.
No, it is very different than your slur against Berkeley.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:45 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
boys must become men. In most societies boys become men through warfare. Our society is composed of Males in there 20's and 30's and on up who are still boys. They never went through the crucible. We try to replace war with sport, but, it isn't the same.
Well that suggests that all the men out there who haven't fought in a war are not men.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:56 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
I appreciate that and i've heard quite a few military folks who sincerely express that and i believe them.
I assume that many do so because they want an education? ... and joined during non-war times.
But it seems that there are a huge amount of young men who want to be part of war.
Also, are there any military minds that understand that war will never bring peace? ... no matter what the rationalizations are for any given military situation?
Clarks summed it up quite well.

Also, don't forget that most join the military in their late teens/early 20s. To them it's a real adventure as well as a rite of passage into manhood. Ask them after their initial training why they joined and you'll hear such things as "my country needs me," it's a family tradition," "I wanted to do something important" along with "I couldn't find a job," "I wanted to stay out of trouble" and "to pay for my education."

Talk to them again returning from their first combat tour and the idealism has likely waned and, for those who re-enlist, been replaced with a true sense of place, service and belonging as well as deep feelings of kinship with and obligation towards their fellow soldiers.

As for the last question, I'm sure there are. After all, wasn't WW I called, "The war to end all wars?" Look how well that worked!

Old 02-15-2010, 12:45 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
I joined (1973) because I thought how cool it was that they'd pay me to play with machine guns and heavy weapons. Of course, being a stupid kid, the thought of carrying all that crap for miles and miles never crossed my mind. They're called "heavy weapons" for a reason.

Plus there was a healthy dose of "all the males in the family before you served their country" familial guilt tripping.

It grew me up, got me college. It was worth it.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:43 AM

276 posts, read 747,123 times
Quote:
I bet it's beautiful though. Yes?
You know, there are times when it really is beautiful. Like when the snow falls really slowly and softly and glistens on it's way to the ground. Especially in the middle of the night when most people are sleeping. A soft blanket of it covers the earth and it's so clean and white that it has a bluish hue to it...almost spiritual. It usually is quite warm when that happens. So yes! at times it is beautiful. When the real cold kicks in though...it actually hurts!!! And when you see homeless people dying in the cold temps below 0 degrees on top of city vents trying to stay warm, wrapped in cardboard boxes, that really hurts too! Somehow it seems it would be easier being homeless in a warm climate! But what do I know? I don't think there is any reason or excuse for homelessness in CA. or the US. imo...

Last edited by elisaa; 02-15-2010 at 05:06 AM..

Old 02-15-2010, 04:52 AM

Quote:
I know quite a few VN Draft dodgers who were not afraid of the war but who were intelligent enough to see that there was nothing to be gained from going to war. They also knew the political plumbing and machinery behind war which is the same today as was then and has always been.

I recently have met young ones from CA. and the US who say, the only reason they have joined was to feed family and get an education...the sad part being that by the time some of them are finished they can't get work in the chosen field because the competition is so high in private industry that they have to stay within army realms to survive. So it seems it is a life long commitment for some. And it may not be true for all.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Clarks summed it up quite well.

Also, don't forget that most join the military in their late teens/early 20s. To them it's a real adventure as well as a rite of passage into manhood. Ask them after their initial training why they joined and you'll hear such things as "my country needs me," it's a family tradition," "I wanted to do something important" along with "I couldn't find a job," "I wanted to stay out of trouble" and "to pay for my education."

Talk to them again returning from their first combat tour and the idealism has likely waned and, for those who re-enlist, been replaced with a true sense of place, service and belonging as well as deep feelings of kinship with and obligation towards their fellow soldiers.

As for the last question, I'm sure there are. After all, wasn't WW I called, "The war to end all wars?" Look how well that worked!
All WWII did was prolong the inevitable...the US didn't like how Hitler was going about things because they had a bigger plan in mind called new world order and mass slavery which is what is coming to light right before our eyes. And apathetically we all stand by and wait for it to happen to us rather than become close and help each other to a better freer life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California