Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2007, 10:49 AM

10 posts, read 25,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I was through Germantown last week (drove from Arlington to Columbus, OH). I'm not so sure I would consider working in DC a good thing. Traffic in/out of there rivals the 405. Humidity is horrible. Now, if the prices were about 1/3 of what they are out there AND I didn't have to commute into DC then I might agree with you, I could deal with the humidity. But that area isn't that much cheaper than LA, it's traffic isn't any better and the weather is horrible comparably. In all fairness, the Metro in/out of the area is pretty good. Took it into DC from Crystal City. Except for dragging three little kids and a double stoller up/down escalators & during rush hour, it wasn't that bad at all.
BTW, I grew up in Canoga Park and Thousand Oaks too.

Charles,

I forgot to mention that I do take the MARC train to work and is paid for by the government (GREAT!). I take it at Germantown (5 mins from home) and it stops right in front of our bldg in Silver Spring MD (NOAA), right at the MD/DC border. Yes, the traffic is horrendous, but the public transportation out here is tremendous and well-used. I got used to the humidity after many trips to Florida (wife grew up there!), but yes, the real estate prices rivals that of SoCal. There are lots of techie jobs in the Washington metro (MD, VA, DC) and NO, the weather has been great for the family...we actually got used to the mild weathers (a little snow unlike Boston or NY), and since we live in Germantown, we are not really beholden to the DC traffic.

However, what you do get is a very nice suburban setting (Montgomery County) especially around Germantown and Potomac, top-notch education, very family oriented, Catholic-oriented (a bonus for me since my kid goes to a very nice Catholic school), and overall quiet neighborhoods, lots of trees, lots of state parks (our backyard backs into one!), numerous lakes, and proximity to all the other states...

I am familiar with Thousand Oaks, since I grew up in Oxnard, Ventura, and moved to Santa Barbara suburbs after college. Prices in TO/Westlake are definitely way more outrageous, plus the malls, schools, and other public places are cesspools of illegals so living in your McMansions doesn't really add up...my 2 cents.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:21 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
I would never hate CA. It was my home my entire life. My friends and family still live there. I have recently moved to NC. I hate what has been happening to CA. Mostly in So. CA. It's very sad to sit and watch it being destroyed. There are still some very beautiful places in CA. And yes, I would return in a heartbeat if they ever got a handle on the crime, we could speak english and be understood, and the price of living there was ever comparable with some of the other states. I will always love the CA. I remember. At least "I" have the memories!!!

Old 06-22-2007, 04:42 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times
Pretty much the exact reasons we are fleeing California the nanosecond my husband retires, cynwildkat. Tourists to, in particular, Southern California have no idea how unpleasant it's become for those of us who actually live here.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:20 PM

Amen!!! You along with so many that love those memories but hate seeing what is happening now.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:50 PM

3 posts, read 9,062 times
Default Thinking retirement

My husband and I have looked all over the country for years. Too humid in the east and midwest, don't like tornados or hurricanes, like to go to the snow once in a while, but don't like living in it, get depressed with short, rainy days of the northwest, and can't enjoy the outdoors in the heat of Arizona. No. . .we aren't going anywhere. Just bought a vacation/retirement home in Sutter Creek and are loving it. It does help that we bought our first home in California in the late 60's for $32,000 and all the children are grown. Most of the grandchildren are here too.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:56 PM

889 posts, read 3,116,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I would never hate CA. It was my home my entire life. My friends and family still live there. I have recently moved to NC. I hate what has been happening to CA. Mostly in So. CA. It's very sad to sit and watch it being destroyed. There are still some very beautiful places in CA. And yes, I would return in a heartbeat if they ever got a handle on the crime, we could speak english and be understood, and the price of living there was ever comparable with some of the other states. I will always love the CA. I remember. At least "I" have the memories!!!
How are you liking N.C???How long have you been??

Old 06-22-2007, 07:04 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times
CrazyDaisy, could you brainstorm for people considering relocation here that don't have a million dollars' equity to play with in purchasing a California home? I would imagine most people on a relocation site aren't tremendously wealthy: if they were, they wouldn't be doing comparison shopping on this site, they'd just buy into the best, safest and most expensive area whereever they wished to live.

As my own personal aside, even if I were unbelievably wealthy, California would not be my primary (the rich have multiple homes, mes chers) nor other residence. Pretty the state may be in assorted places, but the future of the state is not. And for the non-rich, it will be fairly grim.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:48 AM

Mvn2nc,
So far it's been wonderful! Everything plus what I'd hoped for. I can say we are starting to "live" again instead of trying to survive. I do miss my children and grandchildren terribly as they are still living in Los Angeles. But they are only an airplane ride away....and who knows..once they come and visit us here they may want to move too! For us it has been a good move. We've only been here a little over 2 months but we're already moving at a different pace, if you know what I mean. We bought a nice home in a country setting near a lake (3 miles down the road) on two acres. Paid an unbelievable price. People smile here..they are friendly. You can leave your doors unlocked (at least out in the country where we are living). Many people will wave at you, just because that's what they do!!! You need a helping hand..your neighbors become fast friends. Always willing to lend a hand. This isn't just what I've experienced it's a know fact around here. People help people. The prices are amazing. Your money goes so much farther. Don't expect anyone to jump when you ask them to because as I mentioned their pace is much slower here..but it will eventually get done!! That part that was very hard for my hubby, being from CA, owning a business...well things had to be done yesterday. It drove him crazy at first. Luckily the people here were patient and understood that he was from CA and let it pass. Now he's finally getting the hang of relaxing and living his life the way it was ment to be lived. Take each day as it comes and enjoy it to it's fullest! As for things to do here...the lakes are amazing, the hills are green and beautiful, and there is plenty of places to go. Or you can just enjoy what is right in your own back yard. Yes, it's been a good move for us!

Last edited by cynwldkat; 06-23-2007 at 10:25 AM..

Old 06-23-2007, 02:24 PM

323 posts, read 1,390,476 times
cynwldkat, I enjoyed reading your post. I dream of a place in the country as well. I'm not sure if I would like it since I am used to city life. You certainly make it sound worthwhile to try. I was looking at posts on San Diego with pictures. The beaches looked so overcrowded that it would be a real turn-off for me. I grew up in Los Angeles in the 60s and 70s and the beaches were never crowded like what I saw. There are just too many people in S. Cal as has been said before.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:26 PM

445 posts, read 1,809,632 times
I am with you on the good realestate issues!! We have done the similar, on buying and selling, although it has slowed. Our New house is currnetly for sale, and when it goes, we have to decide where to go. Funny my husband grew up in ventura area, and moved here (Temecula) from there....and now this is a small OC, IT IS AWFUL!!! I want greener grass, slower pace, and a great place to raise kids, with realistic expectations!! S. Cal is so over crowded, and as some said, the im migration thing, public schools, our hospitals, If you have a job, you get zip, be from somewhere other than the US, get it all for FREE! Last year i went to get a bus pass, to the tune of $330., in front of me, was someone who could not speak english, and theirs was FREE! Go figure!! I am looking into Georgetown or RoundRock area, how far to Austin?? What kind of shopping is available in Austin..I don't want to be HATED for being from california, i was actually born and raised here, but i do not carry the same values as these people......i expect manners, honesty and do to others, as you would want done for you...not here in Cali, all out for themselves, and worrying who's got a bigger house, a better car, a skinnier wife, and the materialistic things you have!!! UGH!!! My heartache is my family is here, and my husbands too, but neither can afford to retire here (which is soon for them) so maybe if i find the right place, they will follow ( i hope)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California